Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 8, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #54,151 of 63,670
BAs sounds more detailled but they can have a more metallic presentation, Can sound too peaky, that give more openess and sense of details but in other way that be tiring.

ST1 at first listening are enjoyables, big lows, lot of details. But that is synthetic if you compare with a better set.
QD6 support comparaison with more better set than ST1.
BAs need not sound metallic. Good quality BAs when correctly tuned can sound excellent. I have TRI i4, Tin T3, TRI Starsea and MT300, all of which have Knowles BAs and none of these sounds metallic. TRI's own high frequency BA in the Starsea is also very smooth, clean and extended with good timbre. Even Bellsing BAs as used in most KZs can sound good if tuned properly, for example ZS7 and BA10, and CCA CA16.

Feb 8, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #54,152 of 63,670
BAs need not sound metallic. Good quality BAs when correctly tuned can sound excellent. I have TRI i4, Tin T3, TRI Starsea and MT300, all of which have Knowles BAs and none of these sounds metallic. TRI's own high frequency BA in the Starsea is also very smooth, clean and extended with good timbre. Even Bellsing BAs as used in most KZs can sound good if tuned properly, for example ZS7 and BA10, and CCA CA16.

between the BA10 and MT300, which one sound better technically , and which one do you like more?

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #54,153 of 63,670
between the BA10 and MT300, which one sound better technically , and which one do you like more?
The BA10 is the finest KZ model to date, IMO. It is also my favourite all BA IEM. It avoids the harshness of most of its siblings and the bass BA has an almost DD-like tonality. The 4-way crossover is very well implemented. However, the MT300 is in a different league, and manages to be supremely accomplished both musically and technically. It also is very well made and presented with a great cable and loads of accessories and is very comfortable, whereas the BA10 does cause some fit problems with its unusual shape.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #54,154 of 63,670
The BA10 is the finest KZ model to date, IMO. It is also my favourite all BA IEM. It avoids the harshness of most of its siblings and the bass BA has an almost DD-like tonality. The 4-way crossover is very well implemented. However, the MT300 is in a different league, and manages to be supremely accomplished both musically and technically. It also is very well made and presented with a great cable and loads of accessories and is very comfortable, whereas the BA10 does cause some fit problems with its unusual shape.

tried to check for Sender MT300 on aliexpress, found completely different prices, from 62€ to over 200€... i'm confused...

- if possible, how do they compare to the ZAX and ASX?

Feb 8, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #54,155 of 63,670
@ZAXon 7 Mt300 is rather easy to like earphone. Asx is risky, it's hard to find good environment to them.

Feb 8, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #54,156 of 63,670
tried to check for Sender MT300 on aliexpress, found completely different prices, from 62€ to over 200€... i'm confused...

- if possible, how do they compare to the ZAX and ASX?
I do not have the ASX, but the ZAX has an exciting, V-shaped sound, not unlike the ZS10 Pro with more refinement and better BA timbre. The MT300 improves on the ZAX with a natural, well extended bass which is not overdone, excellent midrange from the Knowles 33518 BA and the TDK EST HF driver is clean, airy and extended. Soundstage is very good too. Added to this, presentation and accessories are top notch. At around £60 from Ali Express it's a no-brainer!

Feb 8, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #54,157 of 63,670
A very good question, and a very interesting comparison, so I humbly add my few words to it.

BA10 and MT300 are very different for an easy simple comparison, so trying to break it into different facets.

Technically:
-- Tuning - while MT300 are surprisingly coherent for a tribrid, my slight preference is with BA10, still, arguably, the best tuned KZ.

-- Resolution - a bit hard to call at first: MT300 definitely make a more resolving impression, but how much of it is the EST sparkle? (akin to those type II tapes). Then, thinking about it, still MT300 overall, the strings can sound mighty nice.

-- Bass - definitely a matter of taste: nicely implemented BA bass in BA10 (I would not much agree about DD-like, that would be Sonion BAs to me, which I personally dislike); MT300 has one of tge best DD bass for me - resolving, not intrusive but present and well integrated with the rest.

-- Mids - the weakest part of MT300 to me, one BA covers mids reasonably competently, but if you compare with Knowles ED29689 or even C16 and ZAX, mids of MT300 are less to me. BA10 mids are a bit more rounded in this aspect, but still mids were not something KZ thought of as a tuning priority. The graininess of old Bellsings is also the most apparent in mids.

-- Treble - MT300 definitely wins EST (and BA) do the nice job; BA10 have quite extended and quite treble, but not at MT300's level.

Preference:
-- Shells are both very nice, but in terms of fit, MT300 are one of the most comfortable IEMs: small, no sharp corners, no contest here!
Both metal shells would be really harsh for our current minus 15-17 in the last few days to wear outside:)

-- Overall - since MT300 are my only EST pair, and they are really easy to like in so many aspects, MT300 win over BA10.
As well, BA10 were $85-90 at their launch in 2017 (or early 2018) - unheard for KZ, while MT300 were $170, so it is also a factor.

MT300 overall.
MT300 also wins over ZAX for me and "as is" ASX.

Feb 8, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #54,158 of 63,670
A very good question, and a very interesting comparison, so I humbly add my few words to it.

BA10 and MT300 are very different for an easy simple comparison, so trying to break it into different facets.

Technically:
-- Tuning - while MT300 are surprisingly coherent for a tribrid, my slight preference is with BA10, still, arguably, the best tuned KZ.

-- Resolution - a bit hard to call at first: MT300 definitely make a more resolving impression, but how much of it is the EST sparkle? (akin to those type II tapes). Then, thinking about it, still MT300 overall, the strings can sound mighty nice.

-- Bass - definitely a matter of taste: nicely implemented BA bass in BA10 (I would not much agree about DD-like, that would be Sonion BAs to me, which I personally dislike); MT300 has one of tge best DD bass for me - resolving, not intrusive but present and well integrated with the rest.

-- Mids - the weakest part of MT300 to me, one BA covers mids reasonably competently, but if you compare with Knowles ED29689 or even C16 and ZAX, mids of MT300 are less to me. BA10 mids are a bit more rounded in this aspect, but still mids were not something KZ thought of as a tuning priority. The graininess of old Bellsings is also the most apparent in mids.

-- Treble - MT300 definitely wins EST (and BA) do the nice job; BA10 have quite extended and quite treble, but not at MT300's level.

Preference:
-- Shells are both very nice, but in terms of fit, MT300 are one of the most comfortable IEMs: small, no sharp corners, no contest here!
Both metal shells would be really harsh for our current minus 15-17 in the last few days to wear outside:)

-- Overall - since MT300 are my only EST pair, and they are really easy to like in so many aspects, MT300 win over BA10.
As well, BA10 were $85-90 at their launch in 2017 (or early 2018) - unheard for KZ, while MT300 were $170, so it is also a factor.

MT300 overall.
MT300 also wins over ZAX for me and "as is" ASX.

thank you both for the really detailed comparison, i couldn't ask for more :smile::pray:

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #54,160 of 63,670

Thank you for providing these details! I can only agree. :thumbsup:

Obviously I was talking about entry level BAs.
For example my H40, C16 or LZ A7 themselves have BAs and I am fully satisfied with them.

Feb 9, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #54,161 of 63,670
I have the ZST X and looking for a warmer sounding/less bright pair. I got my eyes on the DQ6, does it fit my criteria?
The DQ6 are a touch bright, but probably less so than the ZST X (I don't own the ZST X though).

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #54,163 of 63,670
Thank you for providing these details! I can only agree. :thumbsup:

Obviously I was talking about entry level BAs.
For example my H40, C16 or LZ A7 themselves have BAs and I am fully satisfied with them.
Generally the more affordable IEMs with BAs tend to exhibit poorer tonality but that is not always the case. For example the CCA C10 Pro has poor tuning but the KBEAR Lark at a similar price is well tuned. And the CVJ CSA is excellent at the price with a mature tonality.

Feb 9, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #54,164 of 63,670
Is there a guide somewhere on how to open KZ's IEMs? I'd like to paint my EDX if there's a guide on how to open it
Yes, we have an omniscient presence in the forum
First, you’ll have to specify which model you’re looking to molest
Then call his name 3x
@Slater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back