Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 25, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #50,312 of 63,834
if only you take a peek on CCA thread that CA16 made VX like a toy (said the guy that owned Z1R, Legend X, IT04, IER M9, H40, FH7 etc.).. oopsiee!!!
The VX fit also needs to be considered....Took a peek at the the CCA thread - maybe you should re-read it?..at no point does he demean VX, like you infer.
Porta.Fi - who posts very solid reviews states that it purely depends on which signature you prefer:

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #50,313 of 63,834
Don't take my word for it. After listening to so many iems I've been desensitised to the soundstage as some are so wide and open feeling they don't even sound like iems.

I trust many other KZ ZSX can tell you more about it. :D
Yes I agree soundstage is a very subjective phenomena. Think I'll bypass the ZSX & opt for: CCA CA16 instead - to make a direct comparison with TRN-VX.

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #50,314 of 63,834
The VX fit also needs to be considered....Took a peek at the the CCA thread - maybe you should re-read it?..at no point does he demean VX, like you infer.
Porta.Fi - who posts very solid reviews states that it purely depends on which signature you prefer:

Chill i just try to poison you with abother IEM on this rabbit hole world.

Of course I know porta fi is @cleg here

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #50,316 of 63,834
Ok I just literally got the KZ-ZS10 Pro this past week and already one of my favorites of all time. Watched that youtube video where the dude said the ZSX sounds virtually the same in every aspect except for superior “micro detail” (more extended high end).

As a big fan of the ZS10 pro.... Just tell me do I need to buy these too?

That’s why I skipped the ZSX. I was so happy with the ZS10 Pro, I figured $40 for a minor improvement wasn’t worth it. It made more sense to wait for the successor to the ZSX.

Jun 25, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #50,317 of 63,834
That’s why I skipped the ZSX. I was so happy with the ZS10 Pro, I figured $40 for a minor improvement wasn’t worth it. It made more sense to wait for the successor to the ZSX.

ill do the same. thanks for the confirmation of what i heard.

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #50,318 of 63,834
For me, ZS10 Pro to ZSX is an upgrade, they change the drivers with that new DWEK BAs, results are better timbre and slightly less harsh. Tune wise, ZSX is a little bit more balance than ZS10 Pro, but with more real details and resolution, not faking from boosting upper mids to perceive more clarity and details. ZSX is like perfection of ZS10 Pro, except on shell fit for me. the timbre alone is already an upgrade. Low end parts merely the same

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #50,319 of 63,834
ZS10 Pro to ZSX is a worthy upgrade ^

Anyway, I got the KZ Z1's and I'm having a problem now where it seems like the KZ's are so good at transmit/receive that they're overloading while I have my phone close. Once I walk away from it, the connection is so much better. So we went from bad signal quality to now too good.

Pretty bass/mid bass heavy but pretty good sounding for TWS.

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #50,320 of 63,834
ZS10 Pro to ZSX is a worthy upgrade ^

Anyway, I got the KZ Z1's and I'm having a problem now where it seems like the KZ's are so good at transmit/receive that they're overloading while I have my phone close. Once I walk away from it, the connection is so much better. So we went from bad signal quality to now too good.

Pretty bass/mid bass heavy but pretty good sounding for TWS.

The KZ S2's which I received today have a similar connection issue with my Sony NW-A45 and Hidizs Ap80. Haven't tried it with my phone (Xiaomi Mi A3) yet.

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #50,321 of 63,834
The KZ S2's which I received today have a similar connection issue with my Sony NW-A45 and Hidizs Ap80. Haven't tried it with my phone (Xiaomi Mi A3) yet.
When I first bound my KZ S2 with my PC I had drop out's after a while, but removing the binding on the PC, resetting the KZ S2 by holding touch on the IEM's for 8 seconds to reset - with voice prompt notifying when it was done - it rebound to the PC and has been good since.

The audio is very nice, not as good as my ZSX or ZSN Pro, but still in the top of the TWS's in their price range.

The KZ S2's are still new for me, I received 2 pair of them as a perk along with the Comply Memory Foam tips which provide much better fit and bass than the stock tips that didn't make the sound very flattering.

The KZ S2's are on their 2nd charge, so they are still breaking in.
You guys are killing me with the ZSX talk! It’s one of the few KZs I don’t own. I’m trying to buy less gear, not more gear lol
It's worth owning.
I've always enjoyed the KZ ZSX - even when only used on the FiiO BTR5 SE / Balanced, then BTR3k also very nice on both SE and Balanced.

I haven't tried the KZ ZSX on the FiiO M15 - too busy enjoying hard to drive headphones with "Over ear headphone" mode.

The real kicker came when I used the KZ ZSX on 4.4mm balanced on the Topping A90 / D90 MQA, the ZSX came alive - I was shocked by the sound difference - the Bass is so sweet without any negatives, and not overwhelming - completely solid and in place now, the ZSX sounds the most balanced on the A90 / D90 MQA.

It's been the same for other IEM's and headphones, but the ZSX was a surprise since it already sound so good to me - without much Bass before - but now it's really a great long term listen for me. I'm so glad I bought ZSX and kept it. :)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #50,322 of 63,834
When I first bound my KZ S2 with my PC I had drop out's after a while, but removing the binding on the PC, resetting the KZ S2 by holding touch on the IEM's for 8 seconds to reset - with voice prompt notifying when it was done - it rebound to the PC and has been good since.

The audio is very nice, not as good as my ZSX or ZSN Pro, but still in the top of the TWS's in their price range.

The KZ S2's are still new for me, I received a pair of them as a perk along with the Comply Memory Foam tips which provide much better fit and bass than the stock tips that didn't make the sound very flattering.

The KZ S2's are on their 2nd charge, so they are still breaking in.

I've always enjoyed the KZ ZSX - even when only used on the FiiO BTR5 SE / Balanced, then BTR3k also very nice on both SE and Balanced.

I haven't tried the KZ ZSX on the FiiO M15 - too busy enjoying hard to drive headphones with "Over ear headphone" mode.

The real kicker came when I used the KZ ZSX on 4.4mm balanced on the Topping A90 / D90 MQA, the ZSX came alive - I was shocked by the sound difference - the Bass is so sweet without any negatives, and not overwhelming - completely solid and in place now, the ZSX sounds the most balanced on the A90 / D90 MQA.

It's been the same for other IEM's and headphones, but the ZSX was a surprise since it already sound so good to me - without much Bass before - but now it's really a great long term listen for me. I'm so glad I bought ZSX and kept it. :)

I had stopped using the KZ S2's at some point last night and moved on to my new CVJ CSAs. When I went back to the S2's I had constant drop outs that resolved after I reset them.

Earlier today I went for an hour walk and used the S2s with my phone and they were fine for about 45mins when the drops outs started again. Prior to that I had used them with my Sony NW-A45 and had some weird latency issues that did not exist when I tried that DAP with my Sony MDRX950B's right after.

I like the SQ and the fit but the connectivity...

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #50,323 of 63,834
For me, ZS10 Pro to ZSX is an upgrade, they change the drivers with that new DWEK BAs, results are better timbre and slightly less harsh. Tune wise, ZSX is a little bit more balance than ZS10 Pro, but with more real details and resolution, not faking from boosting upper mids to perceive more clarity and details. ZSX is like perfection of ZS10 Pro, except on shell fit for me. the timbre alone is already an upgrade. Low end parts merely the same

I’m sure it is an upgrade.

But someone answer me this. I am thoroughly confused regarding these and if my damn ears are broken. I have seen a lot of praise for the Zs10 and ZSX both from various quarters for sure but.... What I don’t get is on HERE if you look at threads that talk about relevant IEMs these are routinely left out of discussion or put at the bottom of lists (see the ”rank your IEM” thread). I almost feel like I’m going crazy liking these so much when i see some of the comparisons. (i bought an es100 mk2 and feel like these pair nicely for my use).

I had slimmed down my IEM collection to only two or three pairs and sadly later my favorites went missing somewhere between stints in Los Angeles, Barcelona Spain and Southern Florida.

But I just got on here again after a long while needing to replace them and I was pretty shocked with these when I got the ZS10Pro.

Sure I hear flaws that will undoubtedly lead me to a few more purchases, but am I alone in the feeling the brand doesn’t get the respect of other IEMs because they are “cheap”? I don’t think I am.

@DynamicEars you do have me leaning on trying the upgrade afterall but I‘m going to spend some more time on here reading how much has changed since the last time I frequented this site.

Thanks for the advice.

Jun 26, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #50,324 of 63,834
HiFi is driven a lot by "reviewers".
I can imagine if a hypothetical IEM for $50 is really good, it leaves almost no room to design "the right curve" few kilodollar IEMs and leaves very little for vanity and bragging. Some "reviewers" even have their special "wink" for KZ...
(just my 0-cent unpaid unsolicited thoughts).

Jun 26, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #50,325 of 63,834
I had stopped using the KZ S2's at some point last night and moved on to my new CVJ CSAs. When I went back to the S2's I had constant drop outs that resolved after I reset them.

Earlier today I went for an hour walk and used the S2s with my phone and they were fine for about 45mins when the drops outs started again. Prior to that I had used them with my Sony NW-A45 and had some weird latency issues that did not exist when I tried that DAP with my Sony MDRX950B's right after.

I like the SQ and the fit but the connectivity...

Sounds like KZ still has Bluetooth connectivity issues even after all these years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back