Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 20, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #49,801 of 63,834
How to tell L from R:

1. Hold up the IEM so that the ‘pointy’ part of the shell is facing down.
2. Now look at what direction the nozzle/eartip is pointing towards.
3. If the nozzle/eartip is pointing to the LEFT, then that’s the LEFT IEM shell.
4. If the nozzle/eartip is pointing to the RIGHT, then that’s the RIGHT IEM shell.

How2 tell L from R.jpg
Wow...thanks, Slater! That's a lot easier than trying to find the L and R markings on the clear QDC 2 pin connector housings. Kinda ticks me off though, that KZ doesn't mark their shells more predominantly/at all. My Moondrop KPE and the KXXS that I gifted to my son, are also not marked. I wonder if that is the same case with the ZSX or CCA C12. In any case, it would be great if all iem manufacturers would mark their products with proper, easy to differentiate markings or colors. Some cable companies seem to fall short in that area also.

Apr 20, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #49,802 of 63,834
Wow...thanks, Slater! That's a lot easier than trying to find the L and R markings on the clear QDC 2 pin connector housings. Kinda ticks me off though, that KZ doesn't mark their shells more predominantly/at all. My Moondrop KPE and the KXXS that I gifted to my son, are also not marked. I wonder if that is the same case with the ZSX or CCA C12. In any case, it would be great if all iem manufacturers would mark their products with proper, easy to differentiate markings or colors. Some cable companies seem to fall short in that area also.
ZSX, AS12, AS16, A10 are all labelled.
C12 - not.
The best KZ/CCA labeling (as well as the shell design other than fit) - goes to BA10, just etched "L" and "R".

Apr 20, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #49,803 of 63,834

Glad the tip helped!

True story for you - both the L AND R of my C10 say “Right” on them haha

I guess the guy at the KZ factory must have fallen asleep when he silkscreened the markings on the shells

Apr 20, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #49,804 of 63,834
dh0licious is there any difference in sound quality between stock brown cable and the silver upgrade cable? thanks
Sound quality? No, I am an objectivist. Looks? Your eyes can be the judge.
IMG_20200419_081354.jpg

Apr 20, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #49,805 of 63,834
dh0licious is there any difference in sound quality between stock brown cable and the silver upgrade cable? thanks

To be honest I don't think I'm even going to use the Silver upgrade cable. I take a lot of calls on my phone and so need a mic, so will be sticking to the original cable with mic, unless anyone suggests any better 3.5mm, 2-pin/QDC style cables with microphone!

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #49,806 of 63,834
To be honest I don't think I'm even going to use the Silver upgrade cable. I take a lot of calls on my phone and so need a mic, so will be sticking to the original cable with mic, unless anyone suggests any better 3.5mm, 2-pin/QDC style cables with microphone!

To be honest I personally cannot tell the difference between the stock and silver upgrade cable. I think you're honestly fine sticking with it.

Apr 21, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #49,807 of 63,834
C12 with silver cable.
IMG_20200420_214716.jpg

Apr 21, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #49,808 of 63,834
Apr 21, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #49,809 of 63,834
Nice.

Thoughts on C12 vs Zs10 Pro?
Both the C12 and ZSX are an upgrade from ZS10 Pro imho. Since I am still quarantining myself, I only have C12 with me right now so I can't do comparison. And it has been quite some time ago I listened to ZS10 Pro so I kind of forgot the sound.

Apr 21, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #49,810 of 63,834
Both the C12 and ZSX are an upgrade from ZS10 Pro imho. Since I am still quarantining myself, I only have C12 with me right now so I can't do comparison. And it has been quite some time ago I listened to ZS10 Pro so I kind of forgot the sound.

Cool. Have to say the colour schemes on C12 make it the best looking Chifi IMO

10359782.jpg

Apr 21, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #49,811 of 63,834
Both the C12 and ZSX are an upgrade from ZS10 Pro imho....
Yes, that's the common mantra but I haven't seen anythinga consensus or near consensus on that. Are the differences marginal and/or simply a matter of personal taste? Look at the FR graph, for one - nearly identical. Something to keep in mind (if one is attuned to trying to keep oneself honest) is the psychological bias. The C12 and ZSX are more expensive, have one more driver and came out later so one will be tempted to think they are superior but this is a perceptual bias.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #49,812 of 63,834
If you're getting a shock from your IEMs it's not due to the cable. Does this happen when your iDSD Nano is being charged? If so, your power supply may be passing AC.

TY for the reply.

I dunno though, because i had a shock while using KZ Silver cable from 2 different DACs with headphone outputs built-in (including the iDSD) and my Zishan DAP.

The Zishan is more chinese unregulated stuff, for sure, but so is the KZ, and I've never had a shock once with the stock cable or another copper 2 pin i have here.

Silver has very different conductivity than copper in the stock cable, you know. It definitely could be the cable. it is a complex network of 6 drivers in the ZSX and I doubt KZ did a serious analysis of the behavior and safety in different environments with every possible cable.

we've also had VERY dry days where I am, so static is more common naturally recently,

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #49,813 of 63,834
Yes, that's the common mantra but I haven't seen anythinga consensus or near consensus on that. Are the differences marginal and/or simply a matter of personal taste? Look at the FR graph, for one - nearly identical.
Graphically, they are not much different. It just the newer C12 and ZSX use a different BA driver than ZS10 Pro. This change make the C12 and ZSX sounds more natural on the treble especially cymbals. They just sound less metallic than ZS10 Pro. And ZS10 Pro definitely has more bass quantity than both C12 and ZSX.

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #49,814 of 63,834
Nice.

Thoughts on C12 vs Zs10 Pro?

I have both. I'm happy with ZS10 Pro. It has great comfort for my particular ear, almost like it was custom made just for me. The sound is fun, enjoyable, and non-fatiguing. However, after hearing a lot about the upgrade to C12, I gave it a try. To me, the fit wasn't as good, and I couldn't hear a discernible difference. The yellow does look nice, but so does the crazy zigzag of the KZ. There are those who will say the timbre of the ZS10 Pros are "off" on certain instruments in certain frequency ranges. The word is "steely" - and it has been repeated so often and persistently that there is now a (imho unfair) kneejerk association between ZS10 Pro and this word. To my ears, I don't hear problems with timbre. Maybe it's the genre of music I listen to. Maybe I have the ears of a 90-year-old former boxer. I've given away a C12, but still have two ZS10 Pros. So, if you're happy with ZS10 Pro, if you have a great fit with it, in my humble opinion -- which is imperfect, fallible and something you should definitely not follow -- you're really not missing out on the C12.

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #49,815 of 63,834
I have both. I'm happy with ZS10 Pro. It has great comfort for my particular ear, almost like it was custom made just for me. The sound is fun, enjoyable, and non-fatiguing. However, after hearing a lot about the upgrade to C12, I gave it a try. To me, the fit wasn't as good, and I couldn't hear a discernible difference. The yellow does look nice, but so does the crazy zigzag of the KZ. There are those who will say the timbre of the ZS10 Pros are "off" on certain instruments in certain frequency ranges. The word is "steely" - and it has been repeated so often and persistently that there is now a (imho unfair) kneejerk association between ZS10 Pro and this word. To my ears, I don't hear problems with timbre. Maybe it's the genre of music I listen to. Maybe I have the ears of a 90-year-old former boxer. I've given away a C12, but still have two ZS10 Pros. So, if you're happy with ZS10 Pro, if you have a great fit with it, in my humble opinion -- which is imperfect, fallible and something you should definitely not follow -- you're really not missing out on the C12.

Looks like I'll be getting the C12 + a couple more Zs10 Pro's then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back