Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 12, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #49,741 of 63,834
Some early impressions of the S2 for anyone interested.

IMGP2701.JPG

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #49,742 of 63,834
Hi, can someone tell me how the kz tip sizes translate to spiral dots, final e, symbio and Sedna tips. While enjoying my AS10s, I realize the seal isn’t what it could be. I’m using the large and one ear feels fairly tight(could be tighter) the other ear is lose. I just flipped them inside out, per a post I saw, and they are bigger this way. I still want to get new tips, so any info on how the sizes translate to the tips mentioned above would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #49,743 of 63,834
Hi, can someone tell me how the kz tip sizes translate to spiral dots, final e, symbio and Sedna tips. While enjoying my AS10s, I realize the seal isn’t what it could be. I’m using the large and one ear feels fairly tight(could be tighter) the other ear is lose. I just flipped them inside out, per a post I saw, and they are bigger this way. I still want to get new tips, so any info on how the sizes translate to the tips mentioned above would be much appreciated. Thanks

If the KZ Starline L tips are still too small, you may have what can be considered ‘big’ ears.

I can’t speak for the other tips you listed, but the SednaFit and Spiral Dot tips are available in additional sizes that can be considered ‘in between’ sizes. So in addition to SML, they have in between sizes of XS, SM (in between small and medium), and ML (in between medium and large). I am not sure if they have even larger sizes than large, but they might.

Here is a size chart that you might be able to guide you on sizes:

KZ Starline:
E027151E-3B21-4AE8-84AA-588AB42DC98B.jpeg

SednaFit:
7156E1CC-8D0B-4E40-AD12-0BC5F95E7E18.png

JVC Spiral Dot:
spiral dot sizes.jpg

So the L Starline is 13.5mm OD and the L Spiral Dots and L SednaEarfit are both 14.0mm OD. Not a whole lot larger, but that extra little bit may make all the difference for you.

Separately from the physical size, the SednaFit and Spiral Dots differ in that they are a wide bore tip, as opposed to the medium bore of the Starlines. This will affect the sound, but how varies with each person and between different IEMs. So you just have to test them and see how you like the sound difference.

Here’s 2 threads that you might also find helpful:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-iem-tips.626895/

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/big-eared-people-unite.697211/

That last thread is dedicated specifically for identifying and discussing large eartips. There are numerous options discussed in there.

Finally, I don't know if you like foam tips or not, but many people with big ears find that mounting foam tips backwards allows the tips to fit when other tips fail. The reason is that the foam tips are cone shaped, so by flipping them around backwards you are actually putting the largest part of the tip in your ear (effectively making the tip as big as possible). So maybe give that a try. This is the only photo I could find. It's not that great of a photo, but you can get the general idea of what it looks like backwards, and why it effectively makes the foam tip 'larger':

1253092.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #49,744 of 63,834
Thanks A lot! Yeah, I just had the realization that I might indeed have giganto ear canals..lol. I hadn’t thought to just look on the tips sites to see the measurements. Spiral dots and Sedna are a little bigger and might work. Symbios seem too small, but I read they fit bigger than they seem. Final E has an extra large, though can’t find measurements. Maybe I’ll get some symbios so I can put there foam piece in other tips to make em bigger. Also think I’ll be
ordering some chi-fi foams that Dsnuts has posted about that sound very similar to spiral dots.
Yeah, I was aware of the sound differences, I think I’ll be getting some slightly less bright upgrade IEMs anyway, like TRI I3 or TSMR 3 Pro, so maybe wide bores will be fine. These inverted Starlines are actually giving a pretty good seal and giving better sound, just seems like it’s prob not optimal. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #49,746 of 63,834
Did the KZ ED4 ever get revised? They still seem to be selling on AE, wonder if it's just an old batch.

Apr 13, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #49,747 of 63,834
Did the KZ ED4 ever get revised? They still seem to be selling on AE, wonder if it's just an old batch.

To answer my own question, just saw this in the description page.

H29d8f43c12ef431a86427212c9dade94x.jpg

And the reviews are pretty much saying how sibilant it is, so yep that's the ED4 we all love and hate.

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #49,749 of 63,834
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. I've not been following KZ's releases closely of late: would it be correct to say that most of their recent offerings have been TWS models? I have and enjoy the ZS10 Pro, but am interested in any wired releases they may have planned.

Yes, KZ hasn't released anything wired since the KZ ZSX (Terminator), which is the spiritual successor of the KZ ZS10 Pro.

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #49,750 of 63,834
Ok, is the zs10 pro actually that good? I always thought it would not compare possibly to my zsx or as10, but I might have to try the set i got for my gf. She loves them.

I don't have my stock cables anymore, so i am thinking about buying another set of as10 to use with stock cable. BUT i hated how the stock cable seems to lack a bit of treble sparkle compared to KZ Silver cables. However after the static shock occurances I plan to only use a stock cable with kz in the future.

OR are there any brands making high quality C-pin cables that dont cost an arm and a leg...
If you're getting a shock from your IEMs it's not due to the cable. Does this happen when your iDSD Nano is being charged? If so, your power supply may be passing AC.

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #49,752 of 63,834
Anyone tried the S2 for running? Is it possible to use it for a serious runner?

I used them during a bit of mountain biking (only the left ear piece in though) and didn't have any issues with them coming loose. Still, I think it will come down to how well they fit and seal. Since it doesn't utilize ear hooks that seal is everything. Might be better to look at the previous version with ear hooks (E10 I think) for serious running.

Apr 14, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #49,753 of 63,834
Anyone tried the S2 for running? Is it possible to use it for a serious runner?

For casual running, i find it okay. The seal is not the tightest for my ears, but that also means that I don't hear as much thumping in my ears compared to something like the Haylou GT1 Plus. I normally just do like 30mins and occasionally 1hour session, and I do feel it loosen a little sometimes, but not enough to feel like it will drop out. So it's still usable for me. Sound wise, depends on what you like to listen to. It has a good quantity of bass, and enough treble to keep things fun. But normally i have it at a slightly higher volume while running, and in those cases, the mids can sound a little behind the mix, which is what I like to hear from my music most of the time. But the bright side is that if the treble isn't too intense for you (i use poweramp to EQ a little), it's able to get really loud, so you can just pump up the volume if you want to.

For like SERIOUS running like a marathon, if you can run a full marathon below 3.5 hours, then this is probably fine? since that's how long the battery typically lasts. haha. Another thing is that while they say it is IPX5... the vent at the top of the earbuds are big. Like i can peer in and see the LED lights that is supposed to be near the bottom of the shell. So... yeah.. :joy: probably not my top choice for sports.

ioqKSkT.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back