Which one is better:
-KZ ED9
-KZ ED16
-UiiSii HM6
-KZ ZSN

I forgot to put also:
-Urbanfun Hifi

Aug 27, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #47,102 of 63,832
I'm just comparing the ZS10 Pro to the OG Kanas, both paired to the TRN BT20. they really in the same tuning category more or less. the ZS10 Pro performs admirably, pushing similar subbass reach, with slightly backed mids.
the Kanas is still obviously the better sounding (the ZS10 Pro has a slight grain in overall tone, and light having a slight veil across the mids and treble), but for the price difference, i really recommend the ZS10 Pro

i use the same Tennmak Whirlwind tips with the inner ribs removed (from now on I'll call this fillet whirlwind :gs1000smile: )

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #47,103 of 63,832
Looks like the best place to ask
So if I have to pick from the following list, knowing that:
-I use a samsung S10+ without an additional amp
-I am not a bass head but rather go into soundstage and details
-Budget max 20$
-No easy drop out from ears while walking

Which one is better:
-KZ ED9
-KZ ED16
-UiiSii HM6
-KZ ZSN

ED16 (3 drivers) has excellent soundstage, details and instruments separation, sounds natural, but nozle being short, it stays better in the ear with a triple flange than the starlines.
ZSN (2 drivers) is brighter, sound is nice, sharp with punch, less details, smaller soundstage and instrument separation than ed16, stays very well in the ear cause the metal nozzle is longer.
both easy to drive, dunno the others...

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #47,104 of 63,832
The ZS3E is more bassy with more somewhat artificial treble and thinner mids (to my ears). The ZS3E sounds more natural and I prefer its tuning and not by a little.

Oh, thanks... but which is which?

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #47,105 of 63,832
I don't think the comment to which you replied made much sense, he said don't buy the KPE you'll regret it, instead go for its sidegrade the KXXS. Ahem.

Find a signature you like, on the cheap, is a good idea. If you like Harman target you'll like the KPE/KXXS. You can try a cheaper moondrop to get a taste for example.

You might prefer the clarity of the T2 (or **** V2 rev 3 for more bass and less treble)

Or v-shape might be your thing (try KZ ZS7 to get a taste of it)

Once you know what you prefer, you can look for curves that are similar, it doesn't define timbre nor many other aspects, but gives you an idea of what *not to* buy at least.

just to clarify I didn't say dont buy the KPE you'll regret. But instead, "you will regret.. regret that all this time you burn your money for all budget stuff sidegrade" which is means the KP is a real upgrade, along with KXXS. Sorry if my joke made misunderstanding. cheers!

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #47,106 of 63,832
The ZSX curves and that ugly "12 Hybrid" writing are serious turnoffs, liked the black mockup at first but not the end result. Well I suppose the Terminator nickname is well chosen.

Fear not... CCA has the solution... the CCA C12 is the terminator for us who hates the terminator faceplate!

New-CCA-C12-Metal-Headset-5BA-1DD-Hybrid-12Units-HIFI-Bass-Earbuds-In-Ear-Monitor-Headphones.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-27_13-50-37.png
    upload_2019-8-27_13-50-37.png
    124.4 KB · Views: 0
Aug 27, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #47,107 of 63,832
-Budget max 20$

Which one is better:
-KZ ED9
-KZ ED16
-UiiSii HM6
-KZ ZSN

Max $20 and not bass head but prefer details and soundstage? you got your first candidate right buddy, if you dont mind mid bass bleed and weird tonality. ZSN pro is another option dont buy first generation ZSN that more v-shaped

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #47,109 of 63,832
-Budget max 20$

Which one is better:
-KZ ED9
-KZ ED16
-UiiSii HM6
-KZ ZSN

Have almost all of them:
-**** **** - AWESOME, specially if you block its vents with tape for more bass (add some driver flex)
-KZ ED9 - AWESOME BUT... It doesnt stay in my ear, I need double spinfit or a earhook to be able to use it at all (same with ED15, another awesome but impossible to use IEM)
-KZ ED16 - Not a popular opinion but I dont like its tuning AT ALL, Get the Kbear KB06 instead, is like a fixed ED16 and you can also increase its bass blocking its vents
-UiiSii HM6 - No idea
-KZ ZSN - Thats a safe bet, is like the Vanilla of cheap-IEM.

Technically, the best one: The ****
The best one if you prefer cable over your ear: The KBEar KB06
The most Fun: ZSN Pro

Also consider: TRN V80 and IM1.

The V80 has a wonderful aluminum shell that fits perfectly and its a hella fun IEM (Like it WAy MORE THAN THE zsn) but, IT doesnt like any BT adapter, you'll need to use the crappy KZ ones instead of the good TRN ones. (the TRN BT adapoters add a lot of noise)
The IM1 is more of a U shaped curve, I truly love it but would prefer a more balanced one if was my only IEM.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #47,110 of 63,832
2 in a row though? zs3 abd zs5 both on the same side in 5 minutes.

HOLYMOLY, yeah, thats probably a broken adapter...
Why dont you tried in the OTHER SIDE of the same IEM so you dont ruin 2 of them?

I bought more than 10 of these, never had a similar problem.

Aug 27, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #47,111 of 63,832
Have almost all of them:
-**** **** - AWESOME, specially if you block its vents with tape for more bass (add some driver flex)
-KZ ED9 - AWESOME BUT... It doesnt stay in my ear, I need wither double spinfit or a earhook to be able to use it at all (same with ED15, another awesome but impossible to use IEM)
-KZ ED16 - Not a popular opinion but I dont like its tuning AT ALL, Get the Kbear KB06 instead, is like a fixed ED16 and you can also increase its bass blocking its vents
-UiiSii HM6 - No idea
-KZ ZSN - Thats a safe bet, is like the Vanilla os cheap-IEM.

Technically, the best one: The ****
The best one if you prefer cable over your ear: The KBEar KB06
The most Fun: ZSN Pro

Also consider: TRN V80 and IM1.

The V80 has a wonderful aluminum shell that fits perfectly and its a hella fun IEM (Like it WAy MORE THAN THE zsn) but, IT doesnt like any BT adapter, you'll need to use the crappy KZ ones instead of the good TRN ones. (the TRN BT adapoters add a lot of noise)
The IM1 is more of a U shaped curve, I truly love it but would prefer a more balanced one if was my only IEM.

Thanks for the details, I will check the kb06, v80 and iM1
Do you think the galaxy s10+ can drive correctly the ****?

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #47,113 of 63,832
See if you can get your hands on a set of discontinued KZ DT5. They are physically heavy and have some pounding sub-bass.

That physically heavy worries me as I cant use neither the ED9 nor the ED15 because they are heavy and just fall from my ears... I have to either use double spinfit or a earhook.
They dont look to be available anywhere, anyways.

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #47,114 of 63,832
Thanks for the details, I will check the kb06, v80 and iM1
Do you think the galaxy s10+ can drive correctly the ****?

Yes, all of those are easy to drive...

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #47,115 of 63,832
Hey, to those with the ZS3. I found a new mod tonight.

It has been previously posted by a few people that removing the red screen on the very end of the nozzle affects the sound. Removing it reduces the bass quantity slightly (while simultaneously removing the muddiness), and also improves the midrange.

Well, I found a different mod that makes further improvements.

BEHIND the red screen is a small piece of black acoustic foam. It's stuffed in the very tip of the plastic tube (the color of the plastic tube might be red or blue). It's exactly like the piece of foam stuffed inside of the shiny gold ED9 filter. Anyways, you REMOVE this piece of foam by just grabbing it with the tip of a sewing needle. You'll need a flashlight to assist seeing down inside of the nozzle to where the foam is. Carefully set aside the foam - they're extremely small and easy to lose. You can store the foam pieces in a small ziplock baggie like the one that many silicone eartips come in.

The change is a very noticeable improvement - the boominess that the ZS3 had is now gone, upper mids are less recessed, and the treble is sparkly and clear. They kind of remind me of an improved ATR, but I need to A/B them with the ATR to verify. Synthesizers, pianos, & guitars sound great.

It's tuned much more towards neutral with the mods, but there's still plenty of bass when called upon. It just isn't boomy and muddy like it was stock. Don't get me wrong, I think the ZS3 is a pretty good in-ear (especially for bassheads). I just know a lot of people are turned off by its overpowering bass that dominates the whole listening experience. This mod corrects that.

It's up to you if you remove the foam yet put the red screen back, or remove both the foam and the red screen. It's easy enough to try it both ways and see which you like better. I settled on removing both after trying it both ways. Just keep an eye on ear wax buildup inside the nozzle if you run with no red screen (remove ear tip every once in a while and carefully clean out any funk).

The mod is very easy, takes less than 30 seconds total, and is totally reversible.

The following interior diagram will show you everything that you need to know (you don't actually open the shell for the foam mod - the interior diagram is just to illustrate where the foam is located):

UPDATE: I found a camera lens and settings that would allow me to get a good shot of the foam. It's impossible to gauge the depth in this photo, but that foam is located about 1/4" down inside the nozzle:

Bringing this slater mod post back for posterity... The camera and diagram were helpful seeing location and depth of the ZS3 foam mod. If I can ask, something similar would be helpful for those wanting to remove stock dampers from T800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back