Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 26, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #47,088 of 63,833
For which pair though? I think I have small ears or something because using the starlines on the ZS10 Pro are comfortable but they work themselves loose after a while unless I'm very still.
Same with the ED16's.

I put Mee Audio double-flanges on the ED16's & I really like those now.
Haven't found the magic pair for the ZS10 Pro's yet...........the Mee double-flanges still slipped loose after a while because they are much heavier than the ED16's.

I use spinfit CP100s for my ZS10 Pros and ZS6 and original ZS10 and they provide better fit and comfort and have better isolation, YMMV.

Aug 26, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #47,089 of 63,833
Okay, I've started to tame my ZS7s a little. Reshaped the cord, and installed some Comply (noise isolating) tips.

I have radically changed my opinion of them.

When I first received them, I struggled with them. I had to fight the memory cable because of an initial error connecting the cords. And didn't like the stock tips at all, which didn't seal or isolate properly. And the peaks were killing my eardrums.

But with the Comply isolation tips, they are performing much better. And I can feel the bass.

I didn't really need this much bass, but they're redefining some of my music for me. I could hardly ever find IEMs that brought Arcade Fire or even Daft Punk alive sufficiently (although the King Pros are handling the latter well). But the ZS7s play the treble harmoniously with the strong bass. I'm not missing melody, harmony, disharmony much with the ZS7, it brings them out quite well, but integrated synergistically with the bass. It's a huge difference from something like a Tin Audio T2.

I wouldn't say the soundstage is very wide, but it's deep enough, and resonant where appropriate. I'm not sure directionality is as good or sophisticated as even a good V80, but in tracks with only a few performers and instruments, it's not a big deal.

I guess bass is more important to some of my favourite performers than I initially thought. The ZS7's finally completing some bands that felt incomplete aurally. Yeah, these will handle your bass needs in the $35 range.

Oddly, it likes my iPod more than my cheap USB DAC. I think the DAC is a little sterile, whereas the iPod is handling hi-bitrate AAC pretty well.

Aug 26, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #47,090 of 63,833
If Kanas Pro is your first above $100 iems, you'll be surprised and regret. Regret that you've spend too much on budget level iems that buy more sidegrade rather than significant upgrade. And KP will make you realize and starting point to listen on another level IEM. But instead i also recommend KXXS, its a slight refinement of KP with thicker mids and a slight touch of mid bass to complete overall signature. ( I don't have KXXS because I already own KP but you check there is a lot of comparison on the moondrop thread)

Okay, what should a person get as their first above $100 IEM? The KXXS? I already have a couple, but right now I'm looking at the DMG. Or the iBasso IT01.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #47,093 of 63,833
Damn I want that bass, but not that corners.
Im honding up on this specific Pokemon for a long time waiting for it to evolve in a shape fit for human ears... but its taking too long to evolve.

Maybe try ZS3?

Aug 27, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #47,094 of 63,833
Okay, what should a person get as their first above $100 IEM? The KXXS? I already have a couple, but right now I'm looking at the DMG. Or the iBasso IT01.

depends on what signature you're into. Budget iems more like stepping stone to try many different signatures. After you know what signature do you like the most, you may upgrade with similar signature. If you like balanced with a bit touch of dynamic, KXXS or KP will be good. If you are into V shaped ones, IT01 is okay (i have them too), DMG is v shaped too but with BA configs, or tfz no 3 with single DD like KXXS/KP also same DLC driver but with more punchier bass and boosted 8khz trebles. Alternatives you may want to try newly launched BQEYZ Spring 1, or ikko OH1 (older model, because the new OH10 is more expensive)

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #47,095 of 63,833
Maybe try ZS3?

Been there... and hated every second with it until @Slater teached us how to fix it.
But I truly love the ZS4. :-D

Also curious to know how the ZS3E peerforms.

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #47,096 of 63,833
Been there... and hated every second with it until @Slater teached us how to fix it.
But I truly love the ZS4. :-D

Also curious to know how the ZS3E peerforms.
The ZS3E is more bassy with more somewhat artificial treble and thinner mids (to my ears). The ZS3 sounds more natural and I prefer its tuning and not by a little.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #47,098 of 63,833

I don't think the comment to which you replied made much sense, he said don't buy the KPE you'll regret it, instead go for its sidegrade the KXXS. Ahem.

Find a signature you like, on the cheap, is a good idea. If you like Harman target you'll like the KPE/KXXS. You can try a cheaper moondrop to get a taste for example.

You might prefer the clarity of the T2 (or **** V2 rev 3 for more bass and less treble)

Or v-shape might be your thing (try KZ ZS7 to get a taste of it)

Once you know what you prefer, you can look for curves that are similar, it doesn't define timbre nor many other aspects, but gives you an idea of what *not to* buy at least.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #47,099 of 63,833
Looks like the best place to ask
So if I have to pick from the following list, knowing that:
-I use a samsung S10+ without an additional amp
-I am not a bass head but rather go into soundstage and details
-Budget max 20$
-No easy drop out from ears while walking

Which one is better:
-KZ ED9
-KZ ED16
-UiiSii HM6