Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 22, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #46,966 of 63,832
I do that at work, IEMs with good no-mic cable, in USB-C hidizs sonata HD on "pure sound" firmware (no mic)

Standalone clip-on mic direct in the audio jack of the laptop

Albeit I really don't like to talk with noise isolation of IEMs, feels really weird. So I want to test earbuds in jack and switch to them for confcall, and only use IEMs for music.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #46,967 of 63,832
So I want to test earbuds in jack and switch to them for confcall, and only use IEMs for music.

You just might be surprised how good earbuds can be for music. I have some that remind me of a good open backed headphone.

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #46,968 of 63,832
well, if you buy any clip-on mic, sure. I used one before I got my V-moda boompro (placed it on the desk near the keyboard).

might be a bit messy, but you can braid/tape the mic cable with your existing cable and then clip the mic to your shirt (I don't wear one while on the PC, hence putting it on the desk)
yeah but i skip the tape.

BOYA by M1 is the one i am gonna buy.

Aug 22, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #46,969 of 63,832
Aug 22, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #46,971 of 63,832
Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #46,972 of 63,832
I do that at work, IEMs with good no-mic cable, in USB-C hidizs sonata HD on "pure sound" firmware (no mic)

Standalone clip-on mic direct in the audio jack of the laptop

Albeit I really don't like to talk with noise isolation of IEMs, feels really weird. So I want to test earbuds in jack and switch to them for confcall, and only use IEMs for music.

please do visit the earbuds thread. earbuds are a whole different class of sound from IEMs. not superior, but excitingly different feel.

Aug 22, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #46,973 of 63,832
Well, if you're not willing to get a DAP, there's the new E1DA ES9038S and PowerDacV2 USB-C DAC, really good measurements in review. Some sound engineering went into them.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-e1da-9038s-bal-portable-dac-amp.8424/
I was leaning towards the 9038S, but from all I have read, it sucks the battery from the phone like crazy. So I would need to hook up a battery charging bank up to my phone, which is taking away from my goal to reduce the complexity of a stack, as well as the bulk and weight. The constant drain I already have on my phone's battery (due to constant recharging because of music apps like Hiby Music Player, Spotify and Amazon Music being used) is making my battery lose its charges faster every day. The E1DA won't really solve my issues. I'm thinking I might just get a less expensive dap for the time being, that has balanced output and an SD card slot...something like a Zishan, F-Audio or an Xduoo X20. I've seen alot of headfiers and people who have reviewed iems and earbuds, who have posted pics of their other gear, and a vast number of them show some really cool budget daps that are in the $150-300 range. No; they aren't touch screens, have access to the internet, support bluetooth or do anything fancy; but they do have balanced outs with comparable power to my Q1MK2 dac/amp, use good dac chips (sometimes doubles for true balanced output), accept SD cards up to at least 128MB, and sound great!

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #46,974 of 63,832
Who else thinks the ZSN Purple is better than the CCA C10?

It's musical, emotional feeling, natural sounding and sounds true to what the musician actually wants their music to sound like without having the sound screwed around with like other iems tend to do. It has to be one of the Top 5 KZ's.

How does the ZSN Pro stand up to the Purple?
I prefer my (turquoise, not that it matters, and I got it the same cable as the purple ZSN because it was pretty and also maybe a minor upgrade) C10 to my purple ZSN, but I'll admit I've not tried tip rolling on the ZSN at all and only really the came-with-Rosewill SpinFits on the C10 largely for fit reasons. The ZSN's treble was just *slightly* not-quite-satisfying (though not so far as to be unsatisfying, mind; too lazy to dredge the relevant post up but I believe I described it as kinda' like a low-res JPG someone had scaled up and then gone just a *tad* overboard on the sharpen focus tool to compensate). The ZSN's still pretty damned awesome though, sufficiently so that I keep being tempted to get a ZSN Pro because why not. <-<

(Hi, I'm overly fond of parenthetical comments tonight apparently.)

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #46,975 of 63,832
I was leaning towards the 9038S, but from all I have read, it sucks the battery from the phone like crazy. So I would need to hook up a battery charging bank up to my phone, which is taking away from my goal to reduce the complexity of a stack, as well as the bulk and weight. The constant drain I already have on my phone's battery (due to constant recharging because of music apps like Hiby Music Player, Spotify and Amazon Music being used) is making my battery lose its charges faster every day. The E1DA won't really solve my issues. I'm thinking I might just get a less expensive dap for the time being, that has balanced output and an SD card slot...something like a Zishan, F-Audio or an Xduoo X20. I've seen alot of headfiers and people who have reviewed iems and earbuds, who have posted pics of their other gear, and a vast number of them show some really cool budget daps that are in the $150-300 range. No; they aren't touch screens, have access to the internet, support bluetooth or do anything fancy; but they do have balanced outs with comparable power to my Q1MK2 dac/amp, use good dac chips (sometimes doubles for true balanced output), accept SD cards up to at least 128MB, and sound great!

I find it hard to get chi-fi DAPs now after testing some with the Andro and getting crazy hiss (I don't mind if the impedance is a bit high, but hiss is a killer). Coincidentally, the two DACs I loved were the Q1Mk2 (really slick design and smaller than I thought) and NX4 DSD (the one I'd get over the Fiio).

Topping started the trend of good value, excellent-measuring, great engineering designs among the chinese source makers, I hope they decide to make a DAP soon.

usd$300 balanced out DAP, Cowon Plenue D2?

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #46,976 of 63,832
How good are the BTE?
I don't have BT iem because I don't mind having cables and sound quality is still the preferred feature I want.
So are the BTE finally a good pair of iem in the same level as ZS4 fir example or not?

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #46,977 of 63,832
I prefer my (turquoise, not that it matters, and I got it the same cable as the purple ZSN because it was pretty and also maybe a minor upgrade) C10 to my purple ZSN, but I'll admit I've not tried tip rolling on the ZSN at all and only really the came-with-Rosewill SpinFits on the C10 largely for fit reasons. The ZSN's treble was just *slightly* not-quite-satisfying (though not so far as to be unsatisfying, mind; too lazy to dredge the relevant post up but I believe I described it as kinda' like a low-res JPG someone had scaled up and then gone just a *tad* overboard on the sharpen focus tool to compensate). The ZSN's still pretty damned awesome though, sufficiently so that I keep being tempted to get a ZSN Pro because why not. <-<

(Hi, I'm overly fond of parenthetical comments tonight apparently.)
I have ZSN in black and Purple. There's not a bit of difference in sound. If cables can make a difference the light copper colored cable is no different than the regular brown cable. With that said the ZSN sounds a touch better than the ZSN PRO. Its more of a side grade but while the mids sound a touch better on the ZSN with vocals the ZSN PRO has a bit more bite in the mid treble and the bass is more monsterous. Don't knock yourself out getting a ZSN PRO unless you want a bass monster and maybe try something else. The **** Ash is a bit better than both. Its basically a retuned TRN IM2 and it's a considerable upgrade for $23 on AE.

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #46,978 of 63,832
I have ZSN in black and Purple. There's not a bit of difference in sound. If cables can make a difference the light copper colored cable is no different than the regular brown cable.
I have both colored ZSN's and the Purple sound better. Maybe cause it's broken in more? The Black's vocals sound slurred.

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #46,980 of 63,832
About the ED16, are they physically like zsr or zs3/4?
Zsr are a total disaster as fit in my ears, zs3 and 4 are perfect

Not similar to none of those, ED16 has a unique shell.
It sounds weird for my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back