Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 18, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #46,741 of 63,832
Any way to fix this ?

The volume of the right earpiece of my ZSA sometimes gets very low. Sometimes even goes dead. Later on it sounds ok, then after some time the same prob starts,

Tried diff cables. Tried diff sources. If I attach the right side cable to the left earpiece, the volume is OK. (EDIT : If I attach the left side cable to the right earpiece, same prob.)

So the prob is with the right ear piece.
It's worth buying another ZSA, they're awesome! :) PS: There are better purchases though. :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #46,742 of 63,832
It's not really about distortion, by congested I mean the sound seems packed up awfully tight in there with no way to escape, think of those consumer supermarket "hi-fi" systems of the 90s (Aiwa, Pioneer etc) that were competing for consumer attention with overly compressed sound that had literally 0 3D quality to them.

I wouldn't say the ZS7 has an organic tonality. But that's not a big issue for saturated guitars or EDM tbh. It plays jazz ok, but far from "great". At least it's not congested like the ZS10 pro so music can breath with it, but unless you eq it honestly it's too much bass on say Getz, Gilberto and it becomes detrimental to the presentation. KPE has slightly too much bass to be called audiophile I think, but it's very controlled and enjoyable, with superb contrabass rendition, very enjoyable for me.

Sax, voices, piano all sound much more natural on KPE. A lot more.

But KPE struggles with death metal imo, it's like trying to rock death metal on a vintage fender amp, that's fantastic for country but not up to the metal job. ZS7 is your Peavey or Randall, if that makes sense.

Ok I got what's your point is. So ZS10 Pro is more intimate, crumpled if not sound too harsh to describe. I see. Death Metal isnt my thing so yeah.. So the tonality better but far from great like KPE then. Ok, will surely pass ZS7. I don't have intention to buy since the first time but you know this itchy feeling after not buying new iem so long time (2 months? lol). I guess ZS10 pro will be my last KZ for long time, unless they're coming with something really much better with great tonality. But they did very great, they did much improvement since last time with take down shouty harsh upper mid peak at 3khz, sub bass that dig down lower and other improvements

Aug 18, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #46,743 of 63,832
Your signature says you're either a liar or not a very good collector. :wink:

RE:

IEMs/Earbuds: KZ ZST, VE Monk+ candy, Shure se215.
Headphones: Sony MDR-100aap, Koss PortaPro.
Sources: Fiio X3ii, Oneplus 3t.
Eh, i've only just started collecting KZ stuff, but don't worry, i'll have a nice stack in no time (i mean, i bought a zst about a month ago, in the next couple weeks i should receive a pair each of zsr and zse, and am already looking at the next upgrade).

I had a bit more of a sony collection, but most of my iems ended up failing, so now here i am with a modest number of earphones :frowning2:

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #46,744 of 63,832
Ok I got what's your point is. So ZS10 Pro is more intimate, crumpled if not sound too harsh to describe. I see. Death Metal isnt my thing so yeah.. So the tonality better but far from great like KPE then. Ok, will surely pass ZS7. I don't have intention to buy since the first time but you know this itchy feeling after not buying new iem so long time (2 months? lol). I guess ZS10 pro will be my last KZ for long time, unless they're coming with something really much better with great tonality. But they did very great, they did much improvement since last time with take down shouty harsh upper mid peak at 3khz, sub bass that dig down lower and other improvements
I must say I prefer the ZS7 to the ZS10 Pro. The sub bass is amazing, the mids are softer but with a more natural tonality and the treble is more relaxed but still detailed. Also the soundstage is much better with the vented earpieces. I think it's the 50060 armature I don't like, the ZS7 has 29869 and 31005. I feel the same about the original ZS10 and the CCA C10 which have the same drivers as the ZS10 Pro.

Aug 18, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #46,745 of 63,832

I know that feeling too well. But honestly, I'm not sure what there is to buy atm. KPE and KB100 are fantastic, you got some of the best single DD and hybrid for acoustic music at perfect price to their performance.

I got the ZS7 to compliment them for EDM, some hip-hop or metal, and some straight down wearables for work but other than that there's really nothing on the market, at my prices, that would be a good addition.

I'm waiting for a good affordable all (or single) BA. For now, they all seem meh in the budget / mid-range segment.

Maybe a planar. Don't like the look nor the fit of the Tin Audio.

So yeah, waiting. So I have more money eventually if it's justified. I have enough "ok-ish" iems, once you have a great one like the KPE you start to think it's a waste if money to have 3 35€ iems + their 8€ upgrade cables = 129€. That's not a great way to spend, moreso if it's sidegrades or all budget hybrids that sound off.

Aug 18, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #46,746 of 63,832
I know that feeling too well. But honestly, I'm not sure what there is to buy atm. KPE and KB100 are fantastic, you got some of the best single DD and hybrid for acoustic music at perfect price to their performance.

I got the ZS7 to compliment them for EDM, some hip-hop or metal, and some straight down wearables for work but other than that there's really nothing on the market, at my prices, that would be a good addition.

I'm waiting for a good affordable all (or single) BA. For now, they all seem meh in the budget / mid-range segment.

Maybe a planar. Don't like the look nor the fit of the Tin Audio.

So yeah, waiting. So I have more money eventually if it's justified. I have enough "ok-ish" iems, once you have a great one like the KPE you start to think it's a waste if money to have 3 35€ iems + their 8€ upgrade cables = 129€. That's not a great way to spend, moreso if it's sidegrades or all budget hybrids that sound off.

definitely agree. Don't buy OK-ish or "quite good" iems even they're cheap enough. just save to buy Great ones. I've learnt that but often fell into good reviews..

Yes I got many good and great single DD iems, tfz no 3, KP, EX600, EX1000 etc. I always love DD, until recently I can't get enough from my IER M7. They are crazy good, a bit steep on price though, entry level TOTL. for all BA you may want to check audiosense, a lot of good reviews about them. And wait for BQEYZ Spring 1 is coming real soon with DD+BA+piezo, their design also ergonomic. Competition is tight, even for KZ. Thanks for your opinion

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #46,748 of 63,832
Isn't Spring 1 going to be DD + BA + Piezzo?

I had the **** with a Piezzo which I find sounds completely off, horrible tonality, so I'm reserved about that.

my bad, yes they will be DD + BA + 7 layers piezo. I have **** too with same config, and I'm agree with you (against so many people) that tonality is wrong, not steely, but more like different phase of tonality, not literally out of phase, but when you supposed to boost 2khz and reduce 3khz, they swapped it, like in 8khz and 7khz. I guess that made them sounds weird in tonality. And mid bass bleeds. but they're good for the price, great details and unique semi open back that help to give air to perceived wide soundstage. Sorry for OOT, was talking about ZS7 and more and more.

Aug 18, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #46,749 of 63,832
Ok, come 11.11 i might grab a cable for the zst/zsr. I was looking at the nicehck 16 core one, and was wondering how it fare comfort-wise. How does it compare to the stock KZ braided cable? more or less tangly? softer or more rigid?
Also, any suggestion for a cable like it, but with an angled jack in the same price range (don't wanna spend more than 10/15 bucks on a cable i'll use for earphones that go at most for 30 bucks :V)?

Aug 18, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #46,750 of 63,832
The ZS10 is great for rock music.
Then again, so is the ZS10 PRO. And it's a comfortable fit. All depends on what kind of sound signature a person is looking for.

Aug 18, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #46,751 of 63,832
The ZS10 pro has more treble than the ZS7. Some call it more detailed because of that.

The ZS10 pro is more congested than the ZS7 (despite the stronger ZS7 bass). It has almost no soundstage at all. Mids are overly recessed. I find it increasingly hard to listen to, moreso after spending more time with my KPE and KB100 lately. Still trying as I somehow want to like it but....

I think it sucks in fact. Unnatural, congested, "in your head", fatiguing sound. The added treble doesn't bring any air to it.

Still like the ZS7 for EDM and death metal. Not for acoustic music.
Sorry, but I don't agree. ZS10 PRO works great on almost anything. While I love my KPE, the ZS10 PRO gives a brighter more detailed presentation. It's an overall more fun sound. It's an excellent compliment to the KPE. Depending on my mood, I often like it more. Not as refined and more raw sounding. Sometimes, with certain kinds of music, I like it better.

Aug 18, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #46,752 of 63,832
Sorry, but I don't agree. ZS10 PRO works great on almost anything. While I love my KPE, the ZS10 PRO gives a brighter more detailed presentation. It's an overall more fun sound. It's an excellent compliment to the KPE. Depending on my mood, I often like it more. Not as refined and more raw sounding. Sometimes, with certain kinds of music, I like it better.
I find your post interesting as I never listen to my Moondrop Crescent. I'd rather pop on a KZ since the ear hooks make it easier to use on the go. I've never heard my Crescent yet. :frowning2:

I should have bought a BQEYZ instead.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #46,754 of 63,832
I had the **** with a Piezzo which I find sounds completely off, horrible tonality, so I'm reserved about that.
**** arent pro's at putting earphones together. :wink: I didn't like my PT15 or ****.

No more **** or TRN for me. :wink: Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #46,755 of 63,832
Eh, i've only just started collecting KZ stuff, but don't worry, i'll have a nice stack in no time (i mean, i bought a zst about a month ago, in the next couple weeks i should receive a pair each of zsr and zse, and am already looking at the next upgrade).
Buying those models sound like downgrades unless it was 2017.

Why not try purchasing newer KZ models first? Check out my signature.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back