Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 26, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #46,156 of 63,834
To me the ZSR has an enjoyable amount of bass, midrange, treble, air and soundstage with decent separation and imaging. Bass response for each person will vary based on how one's ear covers the ports at the base of the earphone and yes, bass response will effect the rest of the presentation. In addition, the ZSR's 4khz dip, while odd, contributes to what I call the ZSR's version of "smooth and airy".

Again, the ZSR may not be as technically capable as some of the newer releases but it still gets lots of playtime from me.

I do have the ZSR, the vent hole info explains why do I hear so much more bass than the response curves indicate... guess any comparison would be useless then.

What I dont have, but want to buy even knowing Ill not use, is the ZS7.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #46,157 of 63,834

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #46,158 of 63,834

So the logo is silver, not golden?
It looks bigger than the ZST-ZS10 Pro (longer)
And that eartip doesnt look "pacifier-grade"...

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #46,159 of 63,834
Thanks for this feedback.

KZ/CCA have a number of models that are technically more capable than the ZSR. I'm currently putting the 10Pro, NPr0, KB10 and F1 through their paces but I have to say that I use my ZSR regularly because I enjoy them.

To me the ZSR has an enjoyable amount of bass, midrange, treble, air and soundstage with decent separation and imaging. Bass response for each person will vary based on how one's ear covers the ports at the base of the earphone and yes, bass response will effect the rest of the presentation. In addition, the ZSR's 4khz dip, while odd, contributes to what I call the ZSR's version of "smooth and airy".

Again, the ZSR may not be as technically capable as some of the newer releases but it still gets lots of playtime from me.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-zsr.22905/

In the end it all boils down to what you will grab when you want to enjoy YOUR music.

This is nice to hear. Yeah, i keep thinking that i should get the zsr, will likely order them as soon as i'll get back from vacation. Wouldn't want them to arrive while i'm not at home :V.

Then i think i might still get the ZS10 pro, they look like a quite fun, and might still be a bit smoother considering that the 3.5-4.5 range seems more in line with the rest of the frequencies compared to the ZST.

But for now, i'll keep enjoying the ZST, definitely satisfied with the purchase, after all, by going down the KZ route i wasn't looking for the perfect iem for me (i would be looking at something like the earsonics velvet in that case, i think), but for something fun sounding and different from my "comfort zone".

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #46,162 of 63,834
Put a small piece of 3M micropore tape over the front vent (ie the little round white and black bullseye looking vent next to the nozzle).

Be aware that this vent relieves ear canal pressure, so covering that vent may cause some additional driver flex (ie crinkle sound). If that happens, just hold your mouth open while inserting your earphones or use foam tips.

I did the tape mod on my ZS7, yes I have sinned...!

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #46,163 of 63,834
How do the ZS10 Pro compare to the original ZS10? I need another pair of budget IEMs like a hole in the head and it's taking money out of the HD6XX fund but I'd really like to know.
That's a tough one to answer. You say that you'd be taking money from your HD6XX fund if you bought either ZS10 or ZS10 PRO. The HD6XX is a warm sounding headphone, with a kinda big soundstage, so I am assuming that you prefer that type of sound signature. If that's the case, then I would lean towards the ZS10. Be aware though, that this set has kinda big shells, so they may not fit your ears comfortably and it might be hard to get a good seal. The PRO has a better fit for most ears, but may sound a bit more forward, compared to the regular ZS10, and the HD6XX you are saving up for. I don't own the HD6XX/650 or the ZS10, but I have heard the 6XX/650. Personally, it's not my preferred sound sig (I like the 600 more, myself). ZS10 PRO is gonna give you a more fun and upfront sound sig, than the ZS10 I think. So, if you're leaning towards a warmer, big soundstage sound like 6XX, I'd go with the ZS10. The ZS10 PRO sounds more like a HD600, but with a better, more impactful bass. Again, remember that the ZS10 has a bigger shell, so getting a good fit might be a problem for some people.

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #46,164 of 63,834
That's a tough one to answer. You say that you'd be taking money from your HD6XX fund if you bought either ZS10 or ZS10 PRO. The HD6XX is a warm sounding headphone, with a kinda big soundstage, so I am assuming that you prefer that type of sound signature. If that's the case, then I would lean towards the ZS10. Be aware though, that this set has kinda big shells, so they may not fit your ears comfortably and it might be hard to get a good seal. The PRO has a better fit for most ears, but may sound a bit more forward, compared to the regular ZS10, and the HD6XX you are saving up for. I don't own the HD6XX/650 or the ZS10, but I have heard the 6XX/650. Personally, it's not my preferred sound sig (I like the 600 more, myself). ZS10 PRO is gonna give you a more fun and upfront sound sig, than the ZS10 I think. So, if you're leaning towards a warmer, big soundstage sound like 6XX, I'd go with the ZS10. The ZS10 PRO sounds more like a HD600, but with a better, more impactful bass. Again, remember that the ZS10 has a bigger shell, so getting a good fit might be a problem for some people.

Shoving ZS10 non-Pros into a human ear is like trying to fit a lumberjack’s foot into a thimble.

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #46,165 of 63,834
I think we are starting to realise that buying too many KZ's is a dumb idea. I just gave a coworker 5 iems and I have 9 more iems for him. If credit cards didn't exist the money would still be in my wallet.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #46,166 of 63,834
I think we are starting to realise that buying too many KZ's is a dumb idea. I just gave a coworker 5 iems and i have 9 more iems for him. If credit cards didn't exist the money would still be in my wallet.

KZs are like pokemons. You gotta catch them all.

Jul 27, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #46,169 of 63,834
Since buying my ZST which was my first foray into CHIFI, I am actually glad I ordered all the KZs that I did. It was a fun journey and I learned a lot. While I sold off most of them now, I ended up keeping the ES4 the EDR1, ED9 and ZSN. You can buy all 4 of these IEMs for about $33. That's amazing to me.

Before that, and like most people, I was at the mercy of the big name brands. Of course they were all $100-$300 each. Pretty difficult pill to swallow buying something like that and not liking it. At the same time that's one reason EQ exist. :)

Anyway here is a graph from a 2012 Audio Technica IEM that cost $230. It was highly praised as a great IEM and Rec'd here. Never heard one person bad talk the thing.
athckm99.gif

My how much time has changed is the past few years. Thanks to KZ and other Chinese companies, making good sounding stuff affordable for people now.

BTW, I have that IEM. Its comparable to ZS6/ZSA to me. Both of which can be picked up for about $35 now. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back