Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 23, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #46,066 of 63,803
Amazon lightning deal has ES4 for $14. Worth it? I see mixed perceptions of it either being too harsh or not enough treble (??)
Seems like they mixed the ZST and es4. Was supposed to be ZST. Nope never heard the es4. Get the ZST.

Jul 23, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #46,067 of 63,803
Amazon lightning deal has ES4 for $14. Worth it? I see mixed perceptions of it either being too harsh or not enough treble (??)

I love the ES4, and I think it was the best $15 (Aliexpress) earphone before the ZSN came to town.
It does have enough treble.

Jul 23, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #46,068 of 63,803
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #46,070 of 63,803
That's a good price.
It's about $12 on AliExpress.
I don't find the ES4 to be harsh.
It is lacking annoying treble, though, which is why I like it so much.
thumbsup.png

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #46,072 of 63,803
Wonder if KZ will ever delve in to a ceramic driver or planar magnetic?!

I’d like to see them delve back into full size headphones (like the LP2):

56BB154B-9879-4137-817F-3FEF609D3C22.jpeg

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #46,074 of 63,803
I have the CCA C10 and the KZ ZS7. Would the ZS10 Pro be a waste of money to buy?
It depends, as usual.
I do not have KZ ZS7 to comment.
CCA C10 is definitely more timid, analytical, warmer with more mid-bass (it suits more for classical music) compared to energetic ZS10 pro that, in my subjective opinion, suits more for electronic music.
I feel the best answer that I can give - if you like the energetic ZSN signature and want more resolution and tighter punchy bass - then ZS10 pro may be worthwhile.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #46,075 of 63,803
Thank you. Ideally I would like someone to compare ZS7 with ZS10 Pro and C10.

I have the CCA C10 and the KZ ZS7. Would the ZS10 Pro be a waste of money to buy?

I’ll compare the ZS7 and the ZS10 Pro:
- ZS10 Pro is the more balanced of the two, ZS7 has more bass and less treble. Mids are similar but may sound more forward on the ZS10 Pro due to its treble
- I feel the clarity and the resolution are very similar, I can hear all of the details but each iem presents those details at different loudness
- I feel ZS7 has a deeper soundstage and ZS10 Pro has a wider soundstage
- oh that ZS7 sub bass!
- I feel their tuning differences can be achieved via EQing

So if you don’t have either one, and if you are a bass head, get ZS7, otherwise get ZS10 Pro. If you already have one of these, they are similar enough to be what I would call EQ siblings

Just my humble unprofessional comparo XD

Jul 24, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #46,076 of 63,803
Jul 24, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #46,077 of 63,803
I’d like to see them delve back into full size headphones (like the LP2):

I would love to see them making their own designs...

For what I understood just the LP3 wasn't a copycat and that one was awful.

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #46,078 of 63,803
It’s funny you mention that. I’m listening to the AS10 right now with a few test tracks and there is a significant darkness to the treble. In fact while the overall treble range seems to be represented without anything missing there are many example I find where the AS10 doesn’t convey very important treble information. Listen to the Eminem track Good Guy off the Kamikaze release. At around the 9 second mark Eminem breathes in through his nose between words. The upper range of the breathe sound is missing or low enough where I don’t hear it on the AS10. That’s not an issue with any of my other sets. The defining identity of the AS10 which is a relaxed treble is its fatal flaw now that I hear this. Also listening to the Hiromi Trio Alive album much of the high frequency info that gives drums their attack sound when the stick hits the head is missing. The upper range of the snare drum is missing. The meat of the drum is loud but there’s no accompanying snare buzz. Also the China cymbal should be more forward in the mix and it’s not with the AS10. The upper midbass is also too loud. Anthony Jackson’s bass really sticks out which will lead to fatigue. I’m picturing the curve as I’m listening to music and it’s an upside down U with the upper midbass at the beginning of the peak.

AS12 exhibits none of these problems. While the AS10 has a relaxed character for a variety of music if there’s a good amount of treble info it’s not the best choice. I can see the AS10 being a good choice for slow paced Classic Rock or Folk music but anything energetic with a good amount of treble energy it’s not on my short list anymore. I’m not trying to say that the AS10 are terrible but if you compare some of the examples I mentioned I’m not sure how you can say the AS12 is inferior to the AS10. My hearing tells me the AS10 is lacking in areas where the AS12 is not.

You are right, it's about genres we are listening to, about our preferences. Also our sources are crucial.
For rock sub-genres I like, The upside down U character is very listenable. I could see that the AS12 would be suitable for anything else.

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #46,079 of 63,803
I’ll compare the ZS7 and the ZS10 Pro:
- ZS10 Pro is the more balanced of the two, ZS7 has more bass and less treble. Mids are similar but may sound more forward on the ZS10 Pro due to its treble
- I feel the clarity and the resolution are very similar, I can hear all of the details but each iem presents those details at different loudness
- I feel ZS7 has a deeper soundstage and ZS10 Pro has a wider soundstage
- oh that ZS7 sub bass!
- I feel their tuning differences can be achieved via EQing

So if you don’t have either one, and if you are a bass head, get ZS7, otherwise get ZS10 Pro. If you already have one of these, they are similar enough to be what I would call EQ siblings

Just my humble unprofessional comparo XD
Yes, it's the sub bass that clinches it, I'm not a 'basshead', but electronic music sounds amazing on the ZS7. I have the Tin T3 for when I am listening to classical music and other genres.

Jul 24, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #46,080 of 63,803
I enjoy my CCA CA4 and ZSN just as much as I do $1200 headphones.
+1
Same here with my El Cheapos. More often than not even the EDR1 or 2 (with some little EQing) seem to resonate better with the moment than more sophisticated IEMs that cost me up to a couple hundred times as much. Viva variety ...

BTW, one (or more?) BAs in the right earpiece of my ZS7 suddenly stopped working. I didn't drop them, no issues with humidity or sweat either but there's almost no more highs/treble and way less upper mids. I checked the cable, ran some sine sweeps through them and I guess it's the 30095 that died. I didn't like the treble on the 7s too much anyway and with a bunch of Knowles 30095 lying around here I might as well replace them on both sides. I ordered a new set already, can't live without those bangers, lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back