Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 21, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #45,976 of 63,672
I have 2 "forgotten" KZ models in my drawer that I loved the sound signature but was never able to use them...

KZ ED 9
KZ ED15 (absolutely stunning design)

The problem I have with them is that their weight appear to be torward the outer side and they fall off my ears almost instantly.

I wonder if someone has a trick to make those usable.

Try to wear them with the cable up over your ears. That will help hold them in place.

Also, foam ear tips will help lock them in place.

Jul 21, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #45,977 of 63,672
Thats awesome, I always wanted a AS10 with slightly bigger bass.

Im still not sold in their new aesthetic though... Is that outer shell aluminum or baigain-bin silver plastic?

I wish they kept the transparent shells with the logo printed on the board, love those (but the ZSN/ZS10 pro aluminum outer shell is also sweet).

The shell of AS16, A10, C16 etc is a well-established design close in constituents to ZS10 pro, etc.
The top is actually zinc-aluminum alloy, which is heavy (hopefully for acoustic purposes).
The main difference of AS16 shells with the ones of ZSN pro is that the former is tighter to fit, but the isolation may be better, even to much.

AS12 is tempting, but I am waiting for C20, C18 or possibly C12 :)

Jul 21, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #45,978 of 63,672
The shell of AS16, A10, C16 etc is a well-established design close in constituents to ZS10 pro, etc.
The top is actually zinc-aluminum alloy, which is heavy (hopefully for acoustic purposes).
The main difference of AS16 shells with the ones of ZSN pro is that the former is tighter to fit, but the isolation may be better, even to much.

AS12 is tempting, but I am waiting for C20, C18 or possibly C12 :)

I have the AS10, I understand is the same shell with the outer layer in alloy instead of transparent plastic... If thats true, I like how it fits.

But I still dont like how it looks... Not about the shell itself but the outer plate design.

And it feels so weird to write this as I always had been a "sound quality is the only thing that matters" guy but after a couple of years hoarding KZ, there are simply so many options that I started to skip some due to ergonomics (ZS7), look (AS16, because of appearance and price, I do like treble bombs) or both things (BA10, really, What?), specially when they are over 35$.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #45,979 of 63,672
I have the AS10, I understand is the same shell with the outer layer in alloy instead of transparent plastic... If thats true, I like how it fits.

But I still dont like how it looks... Not about the shell itself but the outer plate design.

And it feels so weird to write this as I always had been a "sound quality is the only thing that matters" guy but after a couple of years hoarding KZ, there are simply so many options that I started to skip some due to ergonomics (ZS7), look (AS16, because of appearance and price, I do like treble bombs) or both things (BA10, really, What?), specially when they are over 35$.

AS10 fits a bit gentler for me than the designs with the top alloy plates, no major difference though.
The top plate is noticeably heavy, since it is zinc alloy rather than aluminum.
Talking of BA10, revisiting it for the comparison, I was surprised how light the shell is (only 6 g), it is beautifully made and the sound is more refined AS10.
Just the corners, those corners...

Jul 21, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #45,980 of 63,672
I hate to hear good things about the BA10/ZS7, as it makes me want to buy them, im pretty sure they both have terrific sound signature, but also that they would end up neglected because of fitting just like the ZS6. (That still one of the best sounding KZs).

Im pretty sure I would use it very often if was my 2nd IEM, but when the number of iems is on double digits there are less time for it.

I just think KZ is unable to make a aluminum IEM that I like.

Zs6/7 shell is a pain to use.
ED9/15 dont stay in my ear (heavy in the wrong end)
My ZSA had a loose connector and never sounded right to my taste (and I want to love this IEM so bas as I love its shell)
The BA10 gives me pain just to look at it... Specially the golden/red one, Really?

Thats why I felt in love instantly by the TRN V80, its like TRN got right what KZ was trying so hard.

One day I lost it and bought a new one the same day, just to find it a week later... And Im glad I did as the new ones are way less attractive IMHO (they are shiny blue not "blue with metallic dots" as the one I have).

Maybe too much information but that extra V80 ultimatelly turned into weed.

Funny fact: I was about to "step up the game" and buy a Kanas Pro when I "lost" my V80, that incident made me go back to my 50$ budget for each IEM.

AS10 fits a bit gentler for me than the designs with the top alloy plates, no major difference though.
The top plate is noticeably heavy, since it is zinc alloy rather than aluminum.
Talking of BA10, revisiting it for the comparison, I was surprised how light the shell is (only 6 g), it is beautifully made and the sound is more refined AS10.
Just the corners, those corners...

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #45,981 of 63,672
Try to wear them with the cable up over your ears. That will help hold them in place.

Also, foam ear tips will help lock them in place.

Tried that, the cables over my ear helped... I could manage 15 steps before it falling out, or 2 head turns, big improvement from "instant fall".

Foam didnt helped but then I reminded of a Spinfot cp240 and IT WORKED!

Similar story with the ED9 (this one I had managed to use indoors before, it stayed in my ears as long as I dont moved), a double tip did the job.

Ill try them outside in a while but for the first time I could properly test my ed15 (bought at launch).

Thanks.

Jul 21, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #45,982 of 63,672
I forgot that I had these, and measured it. KZ ZS5 V1. And just like other graphs of it we've seen, we can see the suck-out at effectively 4-8k.

KZ ZS5 L&R.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #45,983 of 63,672
If you dont already have them, try the Newbee foams. To my ears, they keep the bass nice and supple and deep, but they still retain the mids and highs. Very comfy too. I can listen to my ZS10 PRO's and KPE 's for hours on end, and I never feel fatigued. I actually have to force myself to stop listening and go to bed.

New Bee silicone tips ain't bad either, I'm only just coming around to using their foam tips on the ZS10 Pro having not on well with them on AS10 and original ZS10.

Jul 21, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #45,984 of 63,672
I forgot that I had these, and measured it. KZ ZS5. And just like other graphs of it we've seen, we can see the suck-out at effectively 4-8k.

V1 or V2?

Jul 21, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #45,986 of 63,672
Not sure. How to tell? Perhaps it's V1 since I got it when there were a bit of a hype around them when came out.

If you look in the nozzle with a flashlight, how many BA drivers do you see behind the nozzle screen? They look like tiny metal circles/tubes.

If you only see 1, it’s ZS5 v1. If you see 2, then it’s a ZS5 v2.

This is what it looks like with the nozzle mesh removed:

427D63AC-A84D-40DF-879F-9E5D7DA8A645.jpeg

Note that you can still see the drivers without removing the mesh, like this v2:
D47B5896-CF5D-4A84-AF7E-75E58BE31307.jpeg

See the 2 ‘circles’ that show up through the mesh? Those are the BA drivers.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #45,987 of 63,672
If you look in the nozzle with a flashlight, how many BA drivers do you see behind the nozzle screen? They look like tiny metal circles/tubes.

If you only see 1, it’s ZS5 v1. If you see 2, then it’s a ZS5 v2.

This is what it looks like with the nozzle mesh removed:

Note that you can still see the drivers without removing the mesh, like this v2:

See the 2 ‘circles’ that show up through the mesh? Those are the BA drivers.
I can see through the mesh and it's only one sound outlet, so it's for sure V1.

Jul 21, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #45,988 of 63,672
I can see through the mesh and it's only one sound outlet, so it's for sure V1.

That’s a rare and sought after model, friend. Cherish and enjoy that well. Either that, or sell it (which you’ll have absolutely no problem doing).

Jul 21, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #45,990 of 63,672
If anybody wants to buy it from me, please PM me. I had no idea it was a sought after item, why is that?

Some people really like the sound tuning. It really needs the right kind of source to sound good, because the drivers are all wired in series (not parallel). If you just try it with a phone, it will sound like crap.

Also because of supply and demand. It was not out for long before being replaced by the v2, so it is sought after.

Finally, it has a huge sound stage (probably the biggest of any KZ), which people like.

Probably the only KZ models more rare are the micro ring, ANV, and ZS1 v1 (with the brass ring).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back