Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 28, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #45,466 of 63,834
Remind me again on the vent mod you’re referring to? Did you tape it off with micropore or something?

No it's as you last saw it. Quite big openings (1.5mm). I think 1 mm should be enough though. It would be good to cover it up with some micropore. The vent mod was quite the 'yolo' thing to do for me. I just don't know where to find that stuff here, also not really looking for it.. its working good as it is.

Also no more driver flex now, not at all.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #45,467 of 63,834
No it's as you last saw it. Quite big openings (1.5mm). I think 1 mm should be enough though. It would be good to cover it up with some micropore. The vent mod was quite the 'yolo' thing to do for me. I just don't know where to find that stuff here, also not really looking for it.. its working good as it is.

Also no more driver flex now, not at all.

Ah, I remember now - you made the vent larger with sharp scissors. Gotcha.

Glad that worked out for you no flex, tuned the sound how you wanted, etc). I'm all for DIY mods to make our audio gear more to our individual liking :)

Jun 29, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #45,468 of 63,834
Is the KZ connector (female) socket available for sale on AE? Type A or B. See pic :
Capture_2019-06-29_092840.jpg

I want to use the KZ Type-C DAC cable with a IEM that has MMCX (the ****). The only adapter I can find, at Penon, is 25 USD. That's too much, I want to make a adapter cable with a (male) MMCX connector at one end and a KZ female socket on the other. So I can just plug in the KZ DAC cable to the female socket.

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #45,469 of 63,834
So, I started my Christmas shopping early today. Aliexpress sale got me a ZS10 PRO, JCALLY 8-core cable, and I already have a spare set of New Bee tips to throw in. My Secret Santa gift is gonna be off the hook this year! Edit: I also picked up something for myself, since I've been such a good boy! LOL!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #45,471 of 63,834
Ah, I remember now - you made the vent larger with sharp scissors. Gotcha.

Glad that worked out for you no flex, tuned the sound how you wanted, etc). I'm all for DIY mods to make our audio gear more to our individual liking :)

In India we have a term for such janky modifications/innovations called 'jugaad' (pronounced juu-gaar). This picture below describes best what happened with the zs7 with my 'jugaad'.

images.jpeg

Not much of a looker, but hey you're comfy now...

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #45,473 of 63,834
In India we have a term for such janky modifications/innovations called 'jugaad' (pronounced juu-gaar). This picture below describes best what happened with the zs7 with my 'jugaad'.

Not much of a looker, but hey you're comfy now...

In the US there’s a similar term that means the same thing: jerry-rigged (or jury-rigged).

That bicycle is most definitely jerry-rigged lol

https://www.dictionary.com/e/jury-rigged-vs-jerry-rigged/

Jun 29, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #45,474 of 63,834
I believe so. I recently came across this "KB EAR" (also "KBEAR") brand cable:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RZY5C8D/

The one customer review there had this to say:

"The true upgrade cable for the KZ ZSN /ZSN pro
Excellent construction over the alleged upgrade cable from KZ. Has the proper plugs for the IEM. Better weave than both the OEM original and upgrade. Significantly more copper used as well. Does a nice job smoothing the sound signature, making the presentation more natural. This is the minimum type cable KZ should be using!"

While the "for ZSN ZS10/ZSN Pro AS16" connector is only in stock in standard 3.5mm on Amazon, I went looking on AliExpress and the KBEAR Official Store has the QDC with the 2.5mm balanaced connector for $16 (but not 4.4mm for some reason):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33018785015.html

So that looks like it confirms that QDC = Paragraph Type C, i.e the connector used on the ZS10 Pro. If you want 4.4mm balanced connector, looks like the "AK KB EAR 16 Core Upgraded Pure Copper Cable 3.5/2.5/4.4mm Earphone Cable With MMCX/2Pin For KZ AS16 ZS10 ZSN PRO TRN X6 CCA F1", currently $26, has it as an option:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33039768500.html
I know this was a bunch of pages back, but I just found out (luckily not with my wallet) that QDC cables aren't the same as KZ. They have reversed polarity and are different than other 2 pin cables.

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #45,475 of 63,834
I know this was a bunch of pages back, but I just found out (luckily not with my wallet) that QDC cables aren't the same as KZ. They have reversed polarity and are different than other 2 pin cables.

If the findings here still hold, there isn't always consistency in headphone polarity:

https://www.siber-sonic.com/broadcast/polarity.html

If I understand correctly, polarity only matters when doing DJ or live production work, correct?

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #45,477 of 63,834
Hi,i had a pair of ZS10 recently fail. One or more drivers died in the right earbud suddenly. Im kinda pissed since they werent even 1 year old,but i did use them a lot. Is this common? I know they are cheap but still,i dont like throwing money away.

Anyways they sounded good so of course im already looking for a new pair,since my ES3's are too aggressive with treble. Im kinda adamant to buy a new pair since i know harsh treble is like a KZ trademark. I was thinking about getting a pair of ZS10 Pro's , how is the treble on that model? What other models have treble like the ZS10?

Jun 30, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #45,479 of 63,834
Hi,i had a pair of ZS10 recently fail. One or more drivers died in the right earbud suddenly. Im kinda pissed since they werent even 1 year old,but i did use them a lot. Is this common? I know they are cheap but still,i dont like throwing money away.

They usually don’t just ‘die’. If they get dropped on the ground or knocked on a hard surface, then that can definitely kill any earphone. So can burning them in at too high of a volume, running them through the washing machine, heavy sweat from working out, etc.

Any of that a possibility?

Jun 30, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #45,480 of 63,834
They usually don’t just ‘die’. If they get dropped on the ground or knocked on a hard surface, then that can definitely kill any earphone. So can burning them in at too high of a volume, running them through the washing machine, heavy sweat from working out, etc.

Any of that a possibility?
A few days ago it stopped working correctly,audio would cut out everytime i touched the shell but sometimes it would work correctly. Then yesterday the drivers died for good

I actually found out that it if i banged it a few times against my wood desk it would start working correctly,until i touched the shell. It was truly infuriating,even smiling or frowning would make the faulty drivers stop working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back