Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 3, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #44,911 of 63,803
Comments like this make me a bit sad, realizing that people are pre-emptively curtailing any conversation that might be deemed by someone else (other message board members, admins etc.) to be "disruptive" or "upsetting". I mean how civil a society are we that people feel afraid of trying to have a civil conversation about something like the science of sound? Or how pessimistic are people that they feel that it's somehow hopeless to try? I wish people felt differently.

I think they only meant that there are discussions all over HeadFi related to specific topics. There’s a whole sound science area on HeadFi specifically dedicated to burning in, cables, etc.

Whereas this thread is for discussing KZ stuff.

No one is trying to stifle conversation. Everyone is welcome.

Jun 3, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #44,913 of 63,803
Hey ZUNE .....Cowon Plenue R thats what the DOC ordered and I love it....JetAudio and Jet Effects are monstrous fun.

I wanna find these tips that I put on my T3’s because they really had a huge helping impact on the low end and isolation. Double flange somethins....its stack like plates that are same size. Anybody have name or info? So I can outfit my KZ collection?

From the pics you've shown there, you want these. I've used the same tips with mine. Top and bottom flange aren't exactly the same size, but very close. That's the large size you have shown. Advanced M4 and Havi B3 Pro I/II also come with them.

Jun 3, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #44,914 of 63,803
I got this wild theory about KZ - CCA actually and why they sounds different, and they're out with new models and PRO lines :

Imagine if KZ were built by like say 3 people founders.. along with time, 1 founder (call it Mr A) would make KZ sounds more balanced to target audiophile. But the other 2 didn't agree with the idea as their signature sounds worked quite well.
then, Mr. A sadly split with other 2 Mr. B and Mr. C and build up the CCA company to make more balance "KZ" product, but he couldn't use KZ name, so instead He went with CCA. Of course he know well all the supplier and every process things.

So Mr. A was quite successful with CCA brand, with his C04,C10 and C16

Looking at Mr.A's CCA success, Mr. B and Mr. C just realize that actually balance signature were well accepted too in the market, so Mr. B and C also want to make something balance now, KZ released the PRO lines, starting with ZSN Pro, then ZS10 pro and AS16 to go head to head with CCA C16.
Mr. A want to try something better, Trying to lead the innovation with A10.

All stories above are fiction, its not real news, just my stupid wild theory

From what I presume this might be a conscious decision by KZ to eventually lead to a sound signature which appeals across segments. From casual listeners to audiophiles. A sound which is fun yet balanced and accurate. It seems KZ wants to create a Chi-Fi utopia. I might be 100% wrong but if both CCA and KZ lineup are closely observed it seems very much plausible.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #44,916 of 63,803
From the pics you've shown there, you want these. I've used the same tips with mine. Top and bottom flange aren't exactly the same size, but very close. That's the large size you have shown. Advanced M4 and Havi B3 Pro I/II also come with them.
BINGO! Awesome, Slater, Scrambler thank you both...I have Havi’s somewhere that must be why I have some.
THANKS!, Ed

Jun 3, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #44,917 of 63,803

Still kicking myself in the booty for giving my M4's away especially since I got them for $8.49 on my Massdrop credit I had built up. With that said you'll have to pry my M5-1D's out of my cold dead hand as they are the best single DD I've ever owned, very addictive and the more you listen to them you ask yourself why you've bought all the other iem's! Least I had enough sense not to let my Havi's go:grin:

Jun 4, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #44,919 of 63,803
Please keep us posted! :nerd::thumbsup:
So, more listening yesterday. For me, these two are still neck and neck. On one track, Mama, Genesis, Invisible Touch, I think, there was just too much high frequency energy on the C16s. Not the best recording, but it provides an example of how the ZS10, in comparison, just gets out of the way of the music. There is still great openness and space, but only when it is actually in the recording. I have probably said this before, but in a good concert hall, the music just appears from total silence. Many speakers and headphones do not really reproduce this sense of nothing or silence. In this respect, the ZS10 fares better than the C16 so far. I may adjust the Neutralizer profile for the C16 to see if I can shed some of that energy. On other recordings, the C16 really does retrieve detail. But in the end, I am listening for the music and not for how impressive the iem might be...

Jun 4, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #44,920 of 63,803
The ZS10 PRO is miles ahead of the ZS10. After a few days with the AS10 and the ZS10 I couldn't stand the ZS10. Now that I have the ZS10 PRO it's very clear that it wasn't tuned like the old model.

I just ordered the CCA A10 so I'm hoping that's an improvement of the AS10.

Well, we will see. My ZS10 Pro just landed in Miami. Now it needs to make it's way to Paraguay. The regular ZS10 sure has its detractors in here! As for me, I prefer it over the Tin Audio T2, which is my other daily driver. The CCA C16 is making its way into daily rotation as well, but so far, the ZS10 is hanging in there. It probably has something to do with what genres of music you like, and what kind of sound you are looking for. As for me, I listen to a mix of stuff, classical, some retro progressive rock, like Peter Gabriel, Genesis, Steve Hackett, Tears for Fears, as well as some newer stuff, like m83, Sia, Lindsey Sterling, The Jezebel's, Imagine Dragons, Coldplay and One Republic

Jun 4, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #44,924 of 63,803
Just filled another gap in my KZ collection: the ED7 (knock on wood -pun intended- it will really show up)

06BF67B3-822E-49EE-B667-BF970629939D.jpeg

When searching for them directly on AX, there are 3 sellers and all their links lead to ‘oooops-don’t have!’
But with random, endless scrolling I happened across ‘inspire gift shop’ ... and they seem to have them! At least they let me order ... now we wait :wink:

Jun 4, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #44,925 of 63,803
Picked up my ZS7, ZSA and some more cables at the PO today.

First things first ... thanks for the heads-ups on the ZS7 everyone!

IMG_20190604_160515-01.jpeg

My first impressions on the road w/o burn-in (Xiaomi Max2, Sonata USB DAC, flat braided KZ upgrade cable):
Bass, exceptional ...
fast & bone dry, hits like a brick if needed, not overboard anywhere but really well behaved on most of my test tracks (trusty Chesky recordings, EDM & some of my own acoustic and electronic stuff) w/ very little bleed upwards.
Mids: dry, crisp and beautifully detailed but the timbre of some acoustic instruments (strings, horns, piano, ..) is a bit off. I'll check the vocal department later.
Highs & treble: surprisingly all the extension I care for up there, great dry, crispy details (I like it that way) enough air and shimmer, decent rendering of cymbals, but here's the catch: my copies are as sibilant as a ¶|$$€d off sspitting cobra. At the moment I'm not too worried; if those critters keep sssissing after the usual 100+ hours on the burn in rig I'll take a closer look at the matter and fix it.
BTW, I don't remember who mentioned a 'dark' signature ; maybe KZ has changed something in the meantime but these are some of the brightest KZs I own (17 pairs).
Another plus in my book ... my copies sound just fine at my usual low listening levels.

Spatial impressions: surprising clarity and instrument separation; best of any of my KZs so far. Not quite as spacious, close to transparent or wide as the ZS6 but with more depth and perceived height. One more catch though: that 3d illusion, especially that of depth seems highly dependent on the frequency range; I've never seen or heard a 2 meter deep or long guitar before and will check into that issue with some other test tracks later. Anyway, I had a real good time listening to some 3d or 'holographically' enhanced electronic stuff through those IEMs but now it's back to some trusty recordings of acoustic instruments.

Bottom line: apart from the heavy sibilance mainly positive first impressions; can't wait to finish the burn-in phase and hear if and how that helped but so far it's been a pretty enjoyable fun ride.

Edit: image added

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back