Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 16, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #44,101 of 63,832
I made up a little graphic to show the difference between the different types of KZ cables, since a lot of people are confused on this.

Para ABC.jpg

Feel free to use the image when/where/how you want.

May 16, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #44,102 of 63,832
Nice review, Nimweth!
I particularily like your impressions of musical sequences through those phones and (like usual) the comparisons with other IEMs. The only thing I somehow missed was a comparison between the Pros and the standard ZSN. I own both and like so often there's no clear 'winner' in my book.
In your review you've mentioned an upgraded version of the 30095 BA in the Pros (any further infos?); well ... generally their treble sounds at least slightly less edgy to my ears. As so often though a lot depends on what you feed them with and at the end of the day the Pros appear more forgiving to me in that area (+1). When it comes to their respective bass and lower mids though the Pros appear more demanding than the Std. ZSN to keep their (KZ idea of) balance. To my ears the lower registers as well as the spectral balance of the Pros benefit distinctively more when driven from a decent source than the original ZSN, even though that doesn't seem to help much with the ~175-250Hz (appr.) 'mush' on either IEM.
Just my 2 €¢ ... keep it up!
Hi. I was unable to make a comparison with the original ZSN as I do not own that IEM. The info on the 30095 BA was taken from KZ's promotional details. This new iteration does not have the piercing highs of that in the ZST and ES3. The same applies to the CA4 and QT5 as well. I'm happy you like the review, I always write from a musical perspective as after all, that's what it's all about!

May 16, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #44,104 of 63,832
All this zs10 pro talk has me really regretting not getting one. I just hate the nubs only because I purchased a lot of really nice balanced cables and would like to use them.
just got one from the vendor and will be posting a review anon

May 16, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #44,106 of 63,832
What Cable on Amazon should I look for if I want to go Balanced? Are there any ? I don't know what type of Connector is uses

EDIT: ZS10 PRO Ordered!

Its on Amazon's Lightning Deal ATM for those that are interested.

Thanks for the heads up. Regarding balanced cables, you also need to have a device with balanced output (which can be in the form of 2.5mm TRRS, 4.4mm Pentaconn, or 4-pin XLR connectors). Here's a 2.5mm balanced cable that fits the ZS10 Pro on AliExpress, I'm not aware of anything this affordable on Amazon right now:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-S...Earphone-Headset-2-5mm-3-5mm/32965501955.html

To connect the headphones with a cable like that, you'd need a DAP with 2.5mm balanced output, like the Onkyo DP-S1 (many other DAPs have that output as well), a portable amp like the SMSL SAP-11 or DAC/amp like the Sabaj Da3. (I should mention you can also adapt 4.4mm Pentaconn or 4-pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS at the source, with different adapters available from DUNU, Fiio, and Massdrop.)

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #44,109 of 63,832
Looking for a more specific info like, Does the ZS10 PRO uses 0.78 2-Pin? The Connector looks very Different from other IEM I've seen.

The ZS10 Pro uses 0.75mm 2-pin but with a raised jack with the idea that the cable plugging into it has an integrated shroud around it. This is also referred to as a "Paragraph C" or "Para C" connector. See earlier posts in the thread discussing this and the C-type balanced cable I linked to (which is listed as 0.78mm, at least one person in this forum has the cable and said it fits fine, others have mentioned that using a 0.78mm cable in a 0.75mm socket can make 0.75mm cables fit less securely - it is my understanding that 0.75mm and 0.78mm refer to pin diameter, so a 0.75mm socket is a slightly tight fit for a 0.78mm pin).

May 16, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #44,110 of 63,832
May 16, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #44,111 of 63,832
Could someone with multiple sources and cables be so kind and do this experiment for me -

take at least two IEMs, find some left\right channel test audio, set the loudness level to sound the same with the IEMs for the source, then listen to the samples, but listen to the track while having only the opposite channel in your ear. Check if there are differences in the channel "leak" (crosstalk) between IEMs. Check if using different cables and sources changes the result of the comparison.
I've only checked three IEMs with the same source and stock cables - I heard audible difference of leaking ZSN having the least leak, then ZS4, then Westone 1.

May 16, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #44,112 of 63,832
I made up a little graphic to show the difference between the different types of KZ cables, since a lot of people are confused on this.

Feel free to use the image when/where/how you want.

Can type A cables work on B and C IEM?

May 16, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #44,113 of 63,832
Can type A cables work on B and C IEM?

Yes. A and B type works on C IEMs.

Just be aware that when using A or B cables on a C IEM, the cable will stick up a little bit. This is because the female jack on the C IEM itself is raised up a few millimeters.

May 16, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #44,114 of 63,832
Anyone care to comment on some of the better values in upgraded cables for a novice KZ collector. My latest is only the ZSN but I'm considering the ZS10 Pro in the near future. Oh, and I don't have a balanced source. TIA

May 16, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #44,115 of 63,832

Users who are viewing this thread

Back