Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 26, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #43,456 of 63,796
Exactly. My ZS5 v1 which is supposedly a 2 driver earphone is better than their own ZS7 with 5 drivers. :| *sigh*

ZS5 is not 2-driver.

Apr 26, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #43,457 of 63,796
8 BAs per side!? I like the AS10 but even I'm starting to think this driver count is starting to go over the top

Just seeing that CCA already has a '16' model out there with 8BA on each ear (~90usd)... anyone can comment on that one? I don't have a single CCA (they have been flying under my radar)

Edit: tried to delete my own post (how?) as I realize there is a CCA impression thread I can ask that in.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #43,459 of 63,796
I feel dumb, I changed my tips to smaller ones on the ZS7 and got a good insertion depth into my canal and it completely changed the sound. Soundstage is spacious with better depth and resolution changed a lot too and is a step up from ZS6. I can say this is on par or passes up my TF10 custom. I’m impressed what can I say, this thing sounds incredible out of my AP80, and Lotoo Paw, it still amazes me the sound quality you can get for a low cost these days..

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #43,462 of 63,796
Burning them in will help a lot, also using smaller tips will help. I’m just now around 60 hrs and before I had the same thoughts you did when comparing to ZS6. It is a good step up in technical ability, just break it in man! I was disappointed too at first lol.

Got the ZS7 today and uhm.... I'm disappointed. Tried with the silver gold trn cable too.

Right now my ZS5 v1 sounds better. Both sounds similar with the ZS5 being more clearer. I don't know if burning in will improve it. But even if it does, it's more like a side grade, not an upgrade. I got it thinking it'd have a wider imaging than the ZS5 and I'm really sad that it sounds maybe slightly even more on the face than the ZS5 :/

I don't know why there is so much of hype when a new kz is launched, I seriously can't understand. Time to move on from kz I believe.

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #43,463 of 63,796
I always wondered why the KZ ZS7 aren't sold on their Aliexpress store...

It is exclusive to some sellers, as it was privately ODM. So KZ cannot sell it directly due to dealer agreements. It’s not even directly available to Chinese customers.

The ZSR was this way at 1st. For a specific period of time, it was exclusive to Gearbest only.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #43,464 of 63,796
ZS5 is not 2-driver.

Wasn’t the v1 2 driver ? Wasn’t there some controversy or so regarding it? Or am I wrong?

Burning them in will help a lot, also using smaller tips will help. I’m just now around 60 hrs and before I had the same thoughts you did when comparing to ZS6. It is a good step up in technical ability, just break it in man! I was disappointed too at first lol.

Wow I almost put up an ad for it. happy to hear that. Smaller tips like what? The stock ones are pretty perfect fit to my ears. And what the best way to burn in? Songs or the 1MoreAssistant app?

Apr 26, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #43,465 of 63,796
Wasn’t the v1 2 driver ? Wasn’t there some controversy or so regarding it? Or am I wrong?

Wow I almost put up an ad for it. happy to hear that. Smaller tips like what? The stock ones are pretty perfect fit to my ears. And what the best way to burn in? Songs or the 1MoreAssistant app?

Someone who really didn’t understand the engineering behind an IEM started a untrue controversy that the 2 BA drivers were “fake” drivers in the ZS5. It is completely untrue however.

Besides openly admitting that he did it for YouTube views, it was also suspected that he had some sort of affiliation with someone who worked at CA (who were angry that it stole the shell design of the CA Andromeda). Nothing was ever proven about that though, but the damage was already done and people to this day still reference that totally inaccurate rumor.

The ZS5 was always a quad driver. 2xDD and 2xBA. Always was and still is.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #43,466 of 63,796
There’s complicated protocols of white noise, pink noise, different types of music that people with speakers use and a few people follow, but anymore I just plug it into my computer put the music on shuffle and leave it on for 100 hrs sometimes 150 if I’m feeling it...

Apr 26, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #43,467 of 63,796
Just got notification my KZ Zs10 Pro has been delivered...can’t wait to get off work

Apr 26, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #43,468 of 63,796
I’m holding off for reviews before I jump in now. With news of all these new potentially killer iems coming down the pike my wallet refuses my advances!
TRN X6......new, ZS10 pro......new, CCA 5 BA ......new in May, Did I see a new AS10 mentioned?
WOW!!

Apr 26, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #43,470 of 63,796
I completely agree.
There isn't just a personal preferences fact now, the problem is the market is boosting IEMs with more drivers while many of em are not accurately tuned, many of them which still feature sibilance, very sharp highs, unnatural mids and so on.
They should maybe think more on how they tune the drivers and the quality of their drivers, instead of putting 287282 drivers everywhere.
There are only three things that really matter here though.

1. Can we market it to get people to buy it at this price point? If we can (obviously they will, and can), then:
2. Can we make a sound signature that most people will be fine with, even if it has slight issues? Can we also make marketing influence how people perceive the sound? If we can, then:
3. Profit.

I do think KZ goes overboard with sku's though and should focus on 3-5 models. I really think a ZS7 in the pro shell with some tuning on the top end to give it a slight sparkle like the ZSN Pro could be a continued flagship model. It may have been beneficial to dip their toes in everything at first to learn some in house IEM design science.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back