Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 14, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #41,806 of 63,834
for my money, the it01 is a better performer (and much better value) than the eph, which is an ancient model by iem standards; for a good non-fatiguing all-arounder i'd also look at the simgot en700 and pioneer se-ch9t (or if you don't want an over-ear model, the focal sphear or fidue a65)

Could you briefly explain why its an ancient model by IEM standards? I am not disagreeing and just curious. I know it has been around for a long time but so does many of the Shure IEMs right?

They recently announced EPH-200 for $250, I wonder how they sound. Unfortunately there aren't many reviews yet.

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #41,808 of 63,834
Could you briefly explain why its an ancient model by IEM standards? I am not disagreeing and just curious. I know it has been around for a long time but so does many of the Shure IEMs right?

They recently announced EPH-200 for $250, I wonder how they sound. Unfortunately there aren't many reviews yet.
essentially, iem technology is evolving at warp speed, with attendant gains in manufacturing efficiencies--the net effect is that they're kicking out ever-more advanced drivers and designs at a cost that would be unthinkable a few years ago. i sold my eph100 years ago, but from memory it would not be competitive with my comparably-priced current favorites (or even with some >$30 models i like). i've also owned the shure 215 and 535 which, purely in my opinion, don't sound as good to me as say, the bqeyz bq3. there's a certain comfort in buying established brand names, but this crew finds the real value in the obscure stuff we tout on these pages.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #41,809 of 63,834
As big a ZS6 nut that I am I have to say my ZS4's are one of the more fun sub $15 iem's I've ever owned period from any Chi-Fi manufacturer:thumbsup:

Two Tone ZS4’s.JPG

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #41,810 of 63,834
As big a ZS6 nut that I am I have to say my ZS4's are one of the more fun sub $15 iem's I've ever owned period from any Chi-Fi manufacturer:thumbsup:

Agreed. It is an often overlooked gem.

I believe the ZS3 really disappointed a lot of people, and left a bad taste in their mouth. I wonder how things would be different if the ZS3 had never happened, and we only got the ZS4?

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #41,811 of 63,834
Agreed. It is an often overlooked gem.

I believe the ZS3 really disappointed a lot of people, and left a bad taste in their mouth. I wonder how things would be different if the ZS3 had never happened, and we only got the ZS4?

Agreed on the bad taste 100%:wink: Too bad really because as I've said many times the ZS4 is everything the ZS3 was not:rolling_eyes:

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #41,812 of 63,834
Hi All. I placed an order for some zs7’s during Chinese New Year from someone I didn’t know was banned and likely to end in tears for me. They haven’t shipped yet and I’m thinking of cancelling and going for the CCA-C16 instead. Are they really a huge step up? What would you do? I have some nice gear to compare. These are really only for bedtime and falling asleep in. Currently doing that with it01 (original ones not the more expensive version.)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #41,813 of 63,834
Start by never mentioning that name on here! Second check with seller as the Ali-Ex order link does not always truly identify where your package is and sellers can give you a better ETA:wink:

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #41,816 of 63,834
@Podster Edit your quote. I have been suspended here for quoting someone elses woopsie before.

@Tooros That seller has been banned here. I have ordered from them before and found the process tiring and slow. Good prices though.

Yikes, now who's BAD bad:smirk: THX I do always forget the quote is still hanging out there:scream_cat:

Feb 15, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #41,818 of 63,834
Agreed on the bad taste 100%:wink: Too bad really because as I've said many times the ZS4 is everything the ZS3 was not:rolling_eyes:
True, ZS3 was a disappointment. But I believe that the people for whom the fit was good swarmed for the ZS4 regardless of the predecessor's sound. And there's the extra guarantee of at least a usual KZ sound by the fact of use of the usual 30095 BA driver.

The sound, well, I guess it can be called fun, what I like is the fact that the BA isn't too restricted by having a rolled off tuning at the highest frequencies. But the bass-mid bleed is rather unpleasant, that needs to be brought down by EQ. Also, there's too little rumble for a really fun signature, so low bass goes up. Good thing there's no distortion after such modifications.

All in all, after switching through dozens of Chi-Fi and some older and\or cheaper Western models, ZS4 is my favourite low budget thing.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #41,819 of 63,834
So I don’t mess up again. Could someone suggest a seller that’s reliable for the cca-c16 please. Pm if preferred. I’m in UK so the usual marketplace is preferred as anything from the US incurs large addditonal costs.

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #41,820 of 63,834
there's a certain comfort in buying established brand names, but this crew finds the real value in the obscure stuff we tout on these pages.

The truth ("this crew finds the real value in the obscure stuff we tout on these pages") is always comforting when it resonates with one's own resolve. Maybe I'll have to have this succinct statement engraved somewhere permanently to serve as consolation for the frequent moments that I stare into my empty wallet.

Truth is....

I wouldn't have it any other way.

i've also owned the shure 215 and 535 which, purely in my opinion, don't sound as good to me as say, the bqeyz bq3.

I'll definitely be reviewing the BQ3 shortly.

True, ZS3 was a disappointment. But I believe that the people for whom the fit was good swarmed for the ZS4 regardless of the predecessor's sound. And there's the extra guarantee of at least a usual KZ sound by the fact of use of the usual 30095 BA driver.

The sound, well, I guess it can be called fun, what I like is the fact that the BA isn't too restricted by having a rolled off tuning at the highest frequencies. But the bass-mid bleed is rather unpleasant, that needs to be brought down by EQ. Also, there's too little rumble for a really fun signature, so low bass goes up. Good thing there's no distortion after such modifications.

All in all, after switching through dozens of Chi-Fi and some older and\or cheaper Western models, ZS4 is my favourite low budget thing.

Maybe it's me and my shallow ear canals but I enjoyed the ZS3. Fitted with smaller-than-usual silicone eartips, for me, brought the bass down to just above neutral which pushed the midrange forward. My ZS3 literally sounded like an HDS1 with a subwoofer. Of course they sound quite two-dimensional compared to newer offerings but my only complaint with the ZS3 was occasional strident behavior in the midrange. They certainly weren't a standard to measure anything by but I did enjoy mine for a season.

That said, if the ZS4 is as much fun as everyone says it is then I'll have to pick up a set in red along with a ZS3E (in red, as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back