Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 12, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #41,761 of 63,834
LOL, my wife tells me I wear or just simply like the ugliest shoes on the planet but circuit boards in my ears...........................NEVER! :scream_cat:

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #41,762 of 63,834
Feb 12, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #41,763 of 63,834
Nice Doc, you know if I do go with any other KZ it's going to be the BA (Big Azz) 10 Toasters:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I know B9 might dis-own me for this but I absolutely HATE the way the clear Teardrop KZ's look with that circuit board for aesthetics:hushed: LOL

They're a "no-go" for small ears but if you can fit the "toasters" with eartips that seal, remove the memory wire, install silicone ear hooks and pair them with the proper gear then $75+/- is a steal.

They look and feel more premium in the hand than the photos portray.

Aftermarket cables are tuff though since most cables have round connector housings and the BA10's are decidedly box-like.

Nevertheless, one of my favorites......no kidding, Pod. Wouldn't hesitate one moment to pony up the cash to replace them. That C16, though....hmmm.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #41,764 of 63,834
LOL, my wife tells me I wear or just simply like the ugliest shoes on the planet but circuit boards in my ears...........................NEVER! :scream_cat:

Don’t tell me you own any of these?

875934E2-4E12-4761-BF73-410DC77FDD3A.jpeg CF9DAD14-06C7-4240-A766-5F24AEACEEF2.jpeg 3C9524F7-D7AA-4338-A5FE-BEA860E6FBE3.jpeg

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #41,765 of 63,834
Ooh, Camel Toe boots:astonished: Well if one is impersonating a Minotaur those black ones are spot on:rolling_eyes: Guess I need to show those sandel boots to my wife next time she thinks I've grabbed an ugly one:smiling_imp:

Dang you Doc, I finally carted a pair:beerchug:

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #41,766 of 63,834
Doc to the rescue......I love it! Now that I can fit/seal my BA10 iems they are getting more and more time ime(in my ears..lol) Its really to bad so many folks didn’t pick them up, was it issues with fit they heard about? Cost increase from normal KZ line? Looks? The sound to me is very unique especially between other KZ’s, or anything else really what do you think held people back you guys, Doc.
If they did sell well you couldn’t tell from head-fi because when I got mine and came back on head-fi regularly I was shocked no one was talking much about them except Doc and myself.....they sounded so good to me I couldn’t imagine it being sound, or was it sort of? Did folks shy away from the configuration because no dynamics ended up at the finish line?

Feb 12, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #41,767 of 63,834
They're a "no-go" for small ears but if you can fit the "toasters" with eartips that seal, remove the memory wire, install silicone ear hooks and pair them with the proper gear then $75+/- is a steal.

They look and feel more premium in the hand than the photos portray.

Aftermarket cables are tuff though since most cables have round connector housings and the BA10's are decidedly box-like.

Nevertheless, one of my favorites......no kidding, Pod. Wouldn't hesitate one moment to pony up the cash to replace them. That C16, though....hmmm.

$55 on E-bay (!)
That, B9 recommendations and your review made it happen :)
I am listening to Bach's Cello Suites at the moment - and absolutely no regrets!

Feb 12, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #41,768 of 63,834
I’ve finally finished stage2 of my first iem modding adventure. My old trusted ATEs fell victim of my unwieldy attempts :D

First of all i’ve added MMCX connectors and drilled hole in backplates. Results were surprisingly awesome. They surely open quite a bit with vented backplate :)
A7BF97F6-3092-4286-B6CD-7F63E96D6631.jpeg
2DFC2422-674F-4D17-8CB3-8315D1D2AE0E.jpeg
C61711EA-BA28-44D6-A130-69254BACBDF8.jpeg

Stage2 was involved bit more surgery. I’ve tried to implant DMG silver nozzles as they are only cheap and widely available IEM nozzles that I know off. Drilling hole for much bigger diameter nozzle was quite awkward as the original ATE nozzle has quite small inner bore and it’s off center!
8FB2D655-FBFB-4231-97DD-66CB133D06B0.jpeg
02E3BA61-DFFC-44BC-981D-3558A0655F20.jpeg
A98FEFA0-C263-4E63-B8C8-3645EABA9FD7.jpeg

But after quite a few drilling attempts and lot of adjusting especially with first one (as you can se by damaged knurling on one of nozzles :p) I’ve managed to get it done somehow.
D3BB53D1-0649-4F05-9CE0-FE5263C082E2.jpeg
80DFFF35-8C46-41EF-B26A-5184D8AFFB12.jpeg

Don’t know if removing drivers from the shell and smoothing the nozzle boring bit more to perfection would do significant difference. I guess so but I didn’t want to remove drivers for now.

I am pretty satisfied with the result. Now it’s time to find proper tuning as nozzles have additional vent. I am using DIY symbio foam-silicone tips which cover vent on the nozzle and they sound quite nice that way. Removed a bit from the darkness and warmth of ATE but still very pleasant. With both vents open the bass is quite lacking but haven’t listened to them enough.

Thanks @CoiL for inspiration from many years ago. Maybe you would also have some tips how to improve the a lot more :)

There are tons of plans for future for sure. Custom backplates from carbon fiber - plywood ply that I possess are first in row.
Maybe different drivers? Is it worth it? Or are ATE drivers good enough for this shell?

Feb 12, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #41,769 of 63,834
I’ve finally finished stage2 of my first iem modding adventure. My old trusted ATEs fell victim of my unwieldy attempts :D

First of all i’ve added MMCX connectors and drilled hole in backplates. Results were surprisingly awesome. They surely open quite a bit with vented backplate :)

Stage2 was involved bit more surgery. I’ve tried to implant DMG silver nozzles as they are only cheap and widely available IEM nozzles that I know off. Drilling hole for much bigger diameter nozzle was quite awkward as the original ATE nozzle has quite small inner bore and it’s off center!

But after quite a few drilling attempts and lot of adjusting especially with first one (as you can se by damaged knurling on one of nozzles :p) I’ve managed to get it done somehow.

Don’t know if removing drivers from the shell and smoothing the nozzle boring bit more to perfection would do significant difference. I guess so but I didn’t want to remove drivers for now.

I am pretty satisfied with the result. Now it’s time to find proper tuning as nozzles have additional vent. I am using DIY symbio foam-silicone tips which cover vent on the nozzle and they sound quite nice that way. Removed a bit from the darkness and warmth of ATE but still very pleasant. With both vents open the bass is quite lacking but haven’t listened to them enough.

Thanks @CoiL for inspiration from many years ago. Maybe you would also have some tips how to improve the a lot more :)

There are tons of plans for future for sure. Custom backplates from carbon fiber - plywood ply that I possess are first in row.
Maybe different drivers? Is it worth it? Or are ATE drivers good enough for this shell?

you could try fitting the MH755 drivers on it, seems like its quite well-regarded. You'd have to find a legit source first, which may or may not be a problem.

Feb 12, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #41,770 of 63,834
If you’re willing to spend $100, the ibasso IT01 is amazing.

It will have the clarity you like (especially if you remove the nylon fabric portion of the nozzle filter), with the punchy depth and body you’re craving in the low end. Build quality is great, and the cable is off the hook.

Nowadays, people are bonkers over the IT01S and Kanas Pro. But those are much more expensive, and I haven’t heard either so I can’t recommend them.

But regardless of the hyped flavor of the month, you’re still gonna have a hard time finding a better total package with the signature you’re describing for $100.

Looks like you prefer quality with hard hitting bass? Rather than balance?

Depend what on your purpose, do you like collecting many iems and keep rolling from one to another or changing iem, or stick to 1 but superior to all those cheaper iems.

If you want to get another sub $50 try T2 (warning this is balance - not suit everybodys taste especially someone who prefer fun iem with bass hits) , or wait T3 is around the corner, BQEYZ brand any type is equally good, or try that good reviewed ****.

But if you are looking for 1 superior chifi iem, set your budget under $250 for example, a lot mature sound than typical kz at this price range. Name it ibasso IT01s, DM6, Kanas (pro one more balance, if you like hard hitting bass, i guess regular kanas more suits you), tansio mirai tsmr3.
They are definitely different class above zs7.

+1

+1

...and there is tin t3 coming too

Decided not to get another KZ :)

I am leaning towards the iBasso-IT01 but Im also considering similarly priced Yamaha-EPH-100, which I used to own and lost few years back. I loved the strong, clear but not fatiguing sound of that earphone. I wonder if anyone could make a comparison with iBasso-IT01.

https://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-EPH100...words=EPH-100&qid=1550014854&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I was actually considering to go up to $250 but most of the recommended earphones (mostly on penonaudio) seem to be brighter than my preference.

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #41,771 of 63,834

Very nice work! ;P
At first I implanted ED9 brass nozzles to my ATE FF-mod but re-tuned it later with ED9 gold nozzles. I recommend You to close venting port on the shell and tune with port on the nozzle.
You get good slam/tightness from bass/percussion but still open sound.
Btw, which generation ATE drivers You have there? Seems like 5th gen red shelled drivers.
If You get tired of ATE, move on to Sony MH755 drivers installed in ZS4 shells. I`ve done it already but need some fine tuning and maybe trying out different tweaks... but end result is very promising and BIG leap over modded ATE SQ imho. 755 drivers are quite "miracle" imo.

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #41,772 of 63,834
Very nice work! ;P
At first I implanted ED9 brass nozzles to my ATE FF-mod but re-tuned it later with ED9 gold nozzles. I recommend You to close venting port on the shell and tune with port on the nozzle.
Btw, which generation ATE drivers You have there? Seems like 5th gen red shelled drivers.
If You get tired of ATE, move on to Sony MH755 drivers installed in ZS4 shells. I`ve done it already but need some fine tuning and maybe trying out different tweaks... but end result is very promising and BIG leap over modded ATE SQ imho. 755 drivers are quite "miracle" imo.

They are 2nd gen I suppose - red drivers, shield like plastic box, black-gold strain reliefs and 016 on backplates.

I actually like ATE shells because of how small they are. Hopefully I’ll manage to lower their width similarly to yours mod.

What about XWB drivers for those ATE shells? 7.8mm XWB or 8mm titanium maybe even 8mm tesla XWB. Those are supposed to be quite good but I am not sure if really that good as even the cheapest option is quite pricey.

I’ve seen you mentioning MH755 transplanted into ZS4 shell that sounds fun too. I suppose I could use ZS3E shells as their are same as ZS4 without BA right? You don’t have to throw away that BA and they are cheaper too...

Actually I was thinking that my next project could be EarPods driver reshell as I have few of them laying here. Can you compare EarPods with 755s? I guess their about the same size and would both fit in ZS4 shells?

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #41,773 of 63,834
Very nice work! ;P
I want every IEM in ZS4 shells. Is it a hard mod to do when using MH755 drivers? How much does the sound differ after reshelling?

Also, could someone point me to where one can reliably purchase MH755?

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #41,774 of 63,834
I want every IEM in ZS4 shells. Is it a hard mod to do when using MH755 drivers? How much does the sound differ after reshelling?
QKZ VK3 shells are same as ZS3E/ZS4 but with different driver placement and same size as MH755 drivers.
I currently have done only ZS4 shell implementation and to me it sounds much better than stock MH755 but need some filtering material inside nozzle to littlebit tame treble.
Will buy VK3 shells also but ZS4 shells are ok too and imo pretty easy mod.

Feb 13, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #41,775 of 63,834

I ordered mine from www.eardio.com
They are in the US and they shipped same day. Only ordered from them the once but it was all smooth and legit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back