Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 3, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #41,491 of 63,795
I received the AS10, C10 and ZS7 this week. Have been using them with the basic silver KZ balanced cables on my FiiO X7 MK II.

These are my first impressions after using them for a few days, they could change after using them for a longer period of time.

The ZS7 and AS10 should be pretty similar sounding, with the same BA setup, just a DD driver for bass and a different housing, but they don't at all. Maybe the ZS7 sounds more like the BA10, but I haven't heard that one.

The ZS7 is exciting sounding. It has a very nice (at times holophonic) soundstage and good instrument separation, it sprinkles details all around you. The treble is clear and it is a bit forward sounding. The bass is powerful and deep and has a very good slam to it, a bit surprising for a dynamic driver. It is not forgiving; bad recordings will sound unpleasantly bad. However, good recordings that were unremarkable before now suddenly grab your attention. It is not neutral or flat sounding, but full and a bit warm in a very pleasant way. I find myself wondering what certain songs will sound like on the ZS7. It is especially good for electronic music, percussion and music with strong bass.
Treble might not be the most accurate, though that could still improve with more use, its other traits more than make up for that, I am surprised and impressed by it. I personally like the metal industrial looking design a lot, it is smaller than I expected and very comfortable to wear. Build quality feels great. Haven't moved the crossover boards out of the way yet.

The AS10 grabs you and says, okay, seriously now, let me give you a bit more neutral representation of your music. It has stronger mids than the ZS7, but treble is more recessed, It doesn't seem to be especially accurate or smooth sounding, slightly harsh at times, no sibilance though. It does sound a bit more dark, which I find surprising for a five BA driver earphone. It is more neutral and flat sounding than the ZS7, but also more congested sounding. The soundstage is smaller, with less instrument separation. Bass is less powerful, but tight and punchy with a nice texture, but it lacks the slam and sub bass of the ZS7. Percussion sounds nicely sharp. The sound of the AS10 is less in your face than the ZS7, it should be less fatiguing, but is also less exciting. Wind noise is quite bad when riding a bike with them, haven't tried with the others yet. Build quality seems good, they are light, not as solid and premium feeling as the ZS7 and C10 with their metal parts.

The C10 is a favorite on Head-Fi. It is a very polite sounding earphone, very smooth, but also a bit unexciting. It has a nice soundstage that can sound holophonic at times, though instrument separation is not that great. Bass can be strong and textured if needed, but it lacks the slam and tightness of the ZS7. It is refined and relaxing sounding, with some nicely rendered textures, which can grab you at times. Treble is forgiving, it is not very detailed or accurate sounding, it doesn't sparkle like the ZS7. Mids are pretty recessed, voices can get drowned a bit by instruments. Mine has very annoying driver flex in the right phone while inserting, it even made my ear ring. It needs a bit more power than the AS10 and ZS7. Build quality is great.

All in all, the ZS7 is the big suprise to me right now. I was expecting to like the AS10 the most, because I love BA sound and I like an accurate neutral sound (loved my Etymotic ER4 and have really been enjoying my Phonaks). I thought the only difference would be the bass. I'm currently a bit underwhelmed by the C10s, after all the hype here. My wife and a colleague have listened to them and were unimpressed. I hope they will still improve with time.

I ordered the **** as well on the 21st of Januari at AliExpress, but the seller still hasn't sent them. I suppose it will take another week. If it wasn't for the good price I got, I would have cancelled and ordered somewhere else. I am not impressed with their service. VS Audio Store, NiceHCK, MissAudio and the official KZ store have been great though.

Suffering from GAS for the C16 now though, sounds like it improves the parts of the AS10 that are lacking. Though I wonder if it could rival the spacious sound of the ZS7 and its bass slam.
The CCA C10 definitely improves with time!...Don't give up on them! :point_left:

Listening to them for the first few hours will definitely come off as sounding boring as this is my same experience. But, break them in for at least two weeks or so, then you'll see why they are as good as many say they are. The BA armatures sounds cleaner and clearer, the MID's opens up and gets livelier, and bass gets bunchier with plenty of texture. Remind you, my reference is with the default tips that came installed on them.

Hope this helps...

-Clear

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #41,492 of 63,795
If you’re willing to spend $100, the ibasso IT01 is amazing.

It will have the clarity you like (especially if you remove the nylon fabric portion of the nozzle filter), with the punchy depth and body you’re craving in the low end. Build quality is great, and the cable is off the hook.

Nowadays, people are bonkers over the IT01S and Kanas Pro. But those are much more expensive, and I haven’t heard either so I can’t recommend them.

But regardless of the hyped flavor of the month, you’re still gonna have a hard time finding a better total package with the signature you’re describing for $100.

Can I expect a significant improvement with IT0 over the KZs I mentioned?

Looks like you prefer quality with hard hitting bass? Rather than balance?

Depend what on your purpose, do you like collecting many iems and keep rolling from one to another or changing iem, or stick to 1 but superior to all those cheaper iems.

If you want to get another sub $50 try T2 (warning this is balance - not suit everybodys taste especially someone who prefer fun iem with bass hits) , or wait T3 is around the corner, BQEYZ brand any type is equally good, or try that good reviewed ****.

But if you are looking for 1 superior chifi iem, set your budget under $250 for example, a lot mature sound than typical kz at this price range. Name it ibasso IT01s, DM6, Kanas (pro one more balance, if you like hard hitting bass, i guess regular kanas more suits you), tansio mirai tsmr3.
They are definitely different class above zs7.

Only Kanas I see is the pro version. Can you share a link?

Below $250 mark, which earphone would you recommend for the sound signature I described? I would be willing to spend that much for a great long-lasting pair. :)

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #41,493 of 63,795
Hola everyone! I'm strictly hit and run these days, so my apologies for the combined posts.

Completly agree. But v30 is not enough to have full potential

Too bad that's my only "capable" source haha...looking to hear opinion from others with different sources

V30 hasn't the most recent dac. And I had it, I had pro 6 plus and Meizu 16th which is better. Vivo Nex dual display have the best akm and dac of the mobile phone market. C16 is very better with the Vivo. He careful, these audio smart phone are less good than real dap...

I feel that my Meizu is not perfect and the Vivo that I just received is better, Clearly

Don't sell your LG V30 Plus short. It's one of the best sources that you can have for your C16.

Here's androidauthority on its audio capabilities:

https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v30-audio-797447/

About 5 months ago amirm over at audiosciencereview reviewed and measured the audio performance of the V30+'s more recent incarnation, the G7 ThinQ which uses the same ESS Technology ES9218P Quad DAC chipset as the V30+. He was suitably impressed and recommended it:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-measurement-of-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone.4468/

TechnoidFR may be right, though. The only new phone that might stand toe-to-toe with, or perhaps even better LG's quad dac audio implementaton is the Vivo NEX S with the Cirrus Logic CS43199 DAC chipset (the regular Vivo NEX A has the AKM AK4376 DAC chipset):

http://eng.soomal.com/edoc/10100000237.htm

On the other hand, perhaps when you were listening you didn’t ensure that the LG V30+’s high-impedance or “HI-Fi Quad Dac mode” was enabled..? This might help (works on V30+):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v20-sound-quality.816024/page-175#post-13534071

Anyway, despite inherent Android limitations, and its own headphone impedance-power output quirks, your LG V30+ is one heck of a truly great-sounding HI-Fi audio source for your C16 or for any headphone.

Got the ES4 in the mail last week. Not very impressed.

Once again I am laying eyes on the ZS7. Reviews/comparisons I've read felt like it might be just what I want. On the other hand, with the ZS7 purchase, i'd have spent over 100$ worth CHIFI earphone in 2 months. Should I be going for an upper tier? I wonder what 100$-200$ gets you these days and how would those compare to ZS7, arguably the best KZ (perhaps one of the best CHIFI) on market?
I would appreciate any suggestions
C:\Users\JGERAR~1.DEZ\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.png

Yes, the KZ ZS7 is what you want. You cannot resist it. It's calling to you, in your sleep, in your daydreams... telling you Get Me! And thus you're bound to KZ and the KZ Impressions thread. :ksc75smile:

Well, at least for the next couple of months.

But if you're in the US and would love an upgrade and a bargain, the Simgot EN700 Pro is currently selling for only $105.99 at Amazon. It used to be $145.99 and is listed in AliExpress for that amount. Also available at Musicteck for $119 (before $149.99). My husband's favorite for its unique aesthetics, outstanding build quality and balanced, detailed yet smooth listen-for-hours sound, despite the fact that his $199 Simgot EM3 is just better in almost every other department. Rated 4.5-5 Stars at its $145.99 listed price by many of our favorite (that word again) reviewers, including KZ fan B9Scrambler. Here's a 5-star review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/simgot-en700-pro.22692/reviews?page=2#review-19294

Can anyone tell me what bore diameter is considered as “wide bore”?

For example spinfits are considered as wide or not? What about starlines?

4.5mm and up..

Nor spinfits and kz starlines are considered as wode bore.

Spiral dots, tennmak whirlwind, symbio W are wide bore tips

A good example of a wide bore tip would be the JVC Spiral Dots. KZ Starline tips have an average bore diameter.

You just got to keep trying with different tips to see how it sound.

For example, the 2 on the left are considered wide.

I'm currently using the transparent medium wide tip from my old collection from Ultimate Ears.

I had another different brand of wide silicone tips that sounded even better (can't remember the brand since all my tips were mixed up when stored), but unfortunately, they were a little bit loose and got lost eventually.

Without reaching for calipers or knowing any brand names, here's a convenient rule of thumb: any ear tip whose opening is just slightly smaller or at least equal to the IEM nozzle opening is wide-bore; any ear tip whose opening is about the same or smaller than approximately half the nozzle opening is small-bore; and of course any ear tip whose opening falls in-between would be medium-bore. :smile_phones:

Hi there; should you buy the zs7, please let us know your impression vs AS10: some say the ZS7 are better, others say it's the AS10; maybe you can compare them to other KZs you own (ZS4 or ZSR?). Thanks!

I prefer warmer sound signatures rather than bright or "analytical" sound, but I dont like the bumming of low mids; I love a big punch in the lower bass, and clear but not fatiguing highs (like, clear sound with a subwoofer added ) I know, hard to find in the sub $100 category. The AS10 sound good in my opinion, but I wouldn't mind more punch in the bass. I heard the Kanas Pro may be the ones I should be looking at, possibly also the Ibasso IT01 (I know, you're a bog fan of it!), but the ZS7 are way cheaper and apparently, they seem pretty good. I don't think the modded Tin Audio T2 would satisfy me due to the lack of deep and strong bass. What is the best IEM you would recommend for up to $50? BTW, my source is Cayin N3 or Sony A45, (sometimes paired with Fioo amp A3).

You may want to check CCA C10.

Under $30, its 4 BA give similar resolution to AS10, and DD is more fun.

I personally still prefer AS10 to listen to strings in classics, but for the value and universality, CCA C10 is easily the winner.

Thank you PhonoPhi Apparently this is another really good IEM, but given the high number of BAs in it, I have doubts about its reliability... That may still be an option given the price, though (just to buy another pair if it brakes, or just a second one as backup)

CCA 10 is a close relative of KZ ZS7 through CCA-KZ relationship. I do not have ZS7 (it was much more expensive to get in Canada), a general opinion is CCA10 is a bit warmer than ZS7.

With any IEM something can go wrong - cable connection problems, housing damage, etc. - one can take any options to prepare or to choose to wait until it happens.

+1 ...Definitely, CCA C10

+2. The CCA C10 is a balanced, sub-$30 hybrid that is the serious upgrade to the ZSN. It would pair ideally with the slightly warm Cayin N3. I should know because it’s my pairing and I’m happy as a kid in a candy store. And never you mind this “BAs are fragile” bit. Unless you intentionally drop them or use them for bolas practice they’d be fine.
:kissing_heart: :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #41,494 of 63,795
My quick listen turned into an hour while watching my favorite soccer team - Dortmund!!

I’m not believing how much I enjoyed my first listen, the C16s were a total indulgence for my curiosity, I’ve never heard a eight BA a side iem and got a great opportunity to grab these. I’m simply stunned and seriously amazed at this sound.
It probably sounds silly but I’m smiling ear to ear, if the opportunity arises I’m buying backups for these.
I’ll keep listening and update accordingly but right now I got a new #1 iem here. Everybody hears differently but for me these are the best I’ve ever heard and I didn’t have to sell a home to get them- I’m having a great day!
As you mentioned Dortmund, I guess you might be from Germany, too? I'm really interested in the c16 but am unsure where to buy it in respect of German "Zoll". Where did you get yours and which shop / shipment method could you recommend?

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #41,496 of 63,795
Very detailed and interesting overview of the last popular iems in town. Thanks fellow Dutchman! After the zs6 an ed16 I hoped for a real good monitor without overwhelming treble. The zs7 is just what I hoped for. Although my zs6 is almost as good after my latest mods.

Thank you! The ZS7 were a big surprise, I wasn't expecting them to sound so pleasantly different from the other ones. It is indeed not too bright, because I find too bright treble to be very unpleasant.

The CCA C10 definitely improves with time!...Don't give up on them! :point_left:

Listening to them for the first few hours will definitely come off as sounding boring as this is my same experience. But, break them in for at least two weeks or so, then you'll see why they are as good as many say they are. The BA armatures sounds cleaner and clearer, the MID's opens up and gets livelier, and bass gets bunchier with plenty of texture. Remind you, my reference is with the default tips that came installed on them.

Hope this helps...

I most definitely won't give up on them, all the Head-Fi hype can't be for nothing. The changes you mention are just what they need to improve, thanks. Forgot to say that I'm using spiral dots on all of them. The included tips increase and tighten the bass a bit, but muffle the treble.

Feb 3, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #41,497 of 63,795
As you mentioned Dortmund, I guess you might be from Germany, too? I'm really interested in the c16 but am unsure where to buy it in respect of German "Zoll". Where did you get yours and which shop / shipment method could you recommend?
hello iam from Aachen. my personel experience is, that aliexpress is still the best. i bought from several chinese sites. all of them bring me into "zoll-trouble". i ordered 30 items with three years from aliexpress. maximum transit time to germany was 6 weeks. average time is 4 weeks. from 30 items i received at last 28 items. even if you buy from ebay you get transit problems or costum troule. Meine Empfehlung: Aliexpress!!!

Schönen Tag noch!

Feb 3, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #41,498 of 63,795
Hola everyone! I'm strictly hit and run these days, so my apologies for the combined posts.

To answer for the v30. Yes it's one of the better source on smartphone, just to say that the C16 need more to show Its potential

Don't sell your LG V30 Plus short. It's one of the best sources that you can have for your C16.

About 5 months ago amirm over at audiosciencereview reviewed and measured the audio performance of the V30+'s more recent incarnation, the G7 ThinQ which uses the same ESS Technology ES9218P Quad DAC chipset as the V30+. He was suitably impressed and recommended it:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-measurement-of-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone.4468/

TechnoidFR may be right, though. The only new phone that might stand toe-to-toe with, or perhaps even better LG's quad dac audio implementaton is the Vivo NEX S with the Cirrus Logic CS43199 DAC chipset (the regular Vivo NEX A has the AKM AK4376 DAC chipset):

On the other hand, perhaps when you were listening you didn’t ensure that the LG V30+’s high-impedance or “HI-Fi Quad Dac mode” was enabled..? This might help (works on V30+):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v20-sound-quality.816024/page-175#post-13534071

Anyway, despite inherent Android limitations, and its own headphone impedance-power output quirks, your LG V30+ is one heck of a truly great-sounding HI-Fi audio source for your C16 or for any headphone.

Yes, the KZ ZS7 is what you want. You cannot resist it. It's calling to you, in your sleep, in your daydreams... telling you Get Me! And thus you're bound to KZ and the KZ Impressions thread. :ksc75smile:

But if you're in the US and would love an upgrade and a bargain, the Simgot EN700 Pro is currently selling for only $105.99 at Amazon. It used to be $145.99 and is listed in AliExpress for that amount. Also available at Musicteck for $119 (before $149.99). My husband's favorite for its unique aesthetics, outstanding build quality and balanced, detailed yet smooth listen-for-hours sound, despite the fact that his $199 Simgot EM3 is just better in almost every other department. Rated 4.5-5 Stars at its $145.99 listed price by many of our favorite (that word again) reviewers, including KZ fan B9Scrambler. Here's a 5-star review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/simgot-en700-pro.22692/reviews?page=2#review-19294

Without reaching for calipers or knowing any brand names, here's a convenient rule of thumb: any ear tip whose opening is just slightly smaller or at least equal to the IEM nozzle opening is wide-bore; any ear tip whose opening is smaller than approximately half the nozzle opening is small-bore; and of course any ear tip whose opening falls in-between would be medium-bore. :smile_phones:

+2. The CCA C10 is a balanced, sub-$30 hybrid that is the serious upgrade to the ZSN. It would pair ideally with the slightly warm Cayin N3. I should know because it’s my pairing and I’m happy as a kid in a candy store. And never you mind this “BAs are fragile” bit. Unless you intentionally drop them or use them for bolas practice they’d be fine.

Feb 3, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #41,499 of 63,795
Feb 3, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #41,500 of 63,795
What's the best option listening to the ZSNs via a USB c port only phone? (Mate 20 PRO)

USB replacement cable https://m.gearbest.com/headphone-accessories/pp_009148295640.html

Stock Huawei USB to 3.5mm converter

Buy a cheap DAC (Least favoured option due to bulk/convenience) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyrus-Soundkey-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier-Gaming/dp/B07C6XL4JC/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1549205841&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=cyrus+soundkey&dpPl=1&dpID=31PwrNjy5AL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

The cable you linked to does not have the ZSN's unique connector. Personally I would go with an adapter if I needed to so that I could keep the stock cable.

Feb 3, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #41,501 of 63,795
What's the best option listening to the ZSNs via a USB c port only phone? (Mate 20 PRO)

USB replacement cable https://m.gearbest.com/headphone-accessories/pp_009148295640.html

Buy a cheap DAC (Least favoured option due to bulk/convenience) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyrus-Soundkey-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier-Gaming/dp/B07C6XL4JC/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1549205841&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=cyrus+soundkey&dpPl=1&dpID=31PwrNjy5AL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1
I Have the KZ Type C cable. I get a lot of static noise on quiet songs that I don't get by using the adapter to 3.5mm and the standard KZ cable. .
I stopped using the Type C cable because of this.
Mi6 phone with AS10

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #41,502 of 63,795
The EP10 is pretty neat for the price and it does have the same tuning as the IT01, but the detail, texture in bass and clarity in the treble is lacking.With KZ stock black tips, they fit securely and are comfortable.
In no area does it beat the IT01, unlike the KZ7 I believe as it probably has better soundstage if it's anything like the KZ5.
I don't think anyone can be disappointed by the EP10 for its price.

Maybe my post sent the wrong impression. I never meant that the EP10 beat the IT01.

Rather, I only mentioned the EP10 be sure it was possible option based on the sound signature the OP was looking for.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #41,504 of 63,795

The Hidizs Sonata HD has about the same size as a stock USB/3.5mm converter. The Tempotec Sonata HD is almost the same, but often cheaper to get (<$25).
Since I don't own this phone, I can't say if it's worth to use an external DAC, but I think this is the smallest/cheapest of them with good reviews.

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #41,505 of 63,795

Without reaching for calipers or knowing any brand names, here's a convenient rule of thumb: any ear tip whose opening is just slightly smaller or at least equal to the IEM nozzle opening is wide-bore; any ear tip whose opening is smaller than approximately half the nozzle opening is small-bore; and of course any ear tip whose opening falls in-between would be medium-bore. :smile_phones:

It seems like it would be a good fit :) ZS7 is still not listed in Gearbest I wonder why. I was reading about unsoldered wires on some of the units as well.Is it safe to purchase ZS7 from Aliexpress now?

Im actually willing to pay up to $250 for a great pair of earphones but I havent had time to research. I'll try to read a little more this week on iBasso and Massdrops which were highy reccommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back