Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 2, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #38,851 of 63,796
I just gave my ES3 to my brother and I was intending to get another one but since there is a lot of new KZ models now I wanted to ask if there is a model I might want to try out. Any suggestions? :)

Dec 2, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #38,852 of 63,796
I just gave my ES3 to my brother and I was intending to get another one but since there is a lot of new KZ models now I wanted to ask if there is a model I might want to try out. Any suggestions? :)

What sound signature do you like?

More v shaped? More neutral?

What is your tolerance to treble?

Do you like a smoother sound, or more clarity?

Do you need a removable cable, or are are ok with a fixed cable?

What’s your budget?

Dec 2, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #38,853 of 63,796
Great feedback on the BA10!

I don't hear the upper-treble that you do but we are in agreement regarding the 6-7khz range that I noticed mostly on my smartphone and ZuneHD, not the Fiio X3(i). One of these days we'll have to see the BA10's impedance graph which may confirm or deny what I am hearing

I'll have to update my BA10 review (and all subsequent reviews) with information regarding my sensitivity to the 3khz - 7khz range of the frequency spectrum. I'm noticing it more and more. It became more evident as I listened to the EMI-CI880 and the ZS3(v1).

My own idiosyncrasies aside, the BA10 is an excellent in-ear for medium-sized or larger ears.......even at it's current $75+/-.

p.s. - be aware that my feedback incorporates the removal of the foam inserts from my BA10.

10188253.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #38,854 of 63,796
I had a heck of a time trying to get the KZ BA10 to fit in my ears comfortably. Once I swapped over to another cable they fit like a glove! My belated review is here:
https://primeaudio.org/kz-ba10-review/

Another great review, @crabdog and a helpful one because of your uniquely personal solution to the apparent fit problem. May I ask if, with the substitute cable, does the straight connector project from the notch above your tragus almost parallel to the ground? If it does the same might work for me and my small ears, too.

Are the eartips you used in listening to the BA10 your usual wide-bore ones (same with the ZSN and AS10)? You didn't try the Slater mod as Doc did?

Sorry for the pesky questions but I've been taking notes re: ZS10 vs. AS10 vs. BA10. Your review of the BA10 and the those of the 4 others here in Head-fi are consistent as to its uncomfortable, boxy shape, and I have exactly 1 week left to make up my mind for the upcoming 12.12 Sale here. :thinking:

Btw love the graphs, especially the comparison overlays. Thanks! :kissing_heart:

Dec 3, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #38,856 of 63,796
Why hype is not there about kz type c cable with integrated dac ?
I saw couple of goid things about it and it would be more useful as every brand is ditching jack
i ordered one and the zsn together, awaiting arrival

Dec 3, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #38,857 of 63,796
I saw couple of goid things about it and it would be more useful as every brand is ditching jack

Nobody wants to embrace a future without jack :/ atleast i don't want to have extra battery drain and not be able to enjoy music whilst i charge.

Dec 3, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #38,858 of 63,796
Another great review, @crabdog and a helpful one because of your uniquely personal solution to the apparent fit problem. May I ask if, with the substitute cable, does the straight connector project from the notch above your tragus almost parallel to the ground? If it does the same might work for me and my small ears, too.

Are the eartips you used in listening to the BA10 your usual wide-bore ones (same with the ZSN and AS10)? You didn't try the Slater mod as Doc did?

Sorry for the pesky questions but I've been taking notes re: ZS10 vs. AS10 vs. BA10. Your review of the BA10 and the those of the 4 others here in Head-fi are consistent as to its uncomfortable, boxy shape, and I have exactly 1 week left to make up my mind for the upcoming 12.12 Sale here. :thinking:

Btw love the graphs, especially the comparison overlays. Thanks! :kissing_heart:
Thanks for reading and also the feedback.

Yes, with the straight connector it is almost parallel just as you describe.

Yes, I used my usual tips; in fact, after changing the cable I found that several types of tips worked just fine. The problem was not with the insertion depth, nozzle length or tips, it was purely the unnatural angle caused by the stock cable and shape of my ears.

No, I did not try the mod. First of all, I think the majority of my readers have no interest in street mods - they just want to buy and enjoy. Secondly, if it were that easy to drastically improve the majority of IEMs then the real audio engineers must have serious hearing problems or are getting paid way to much and taking too long/costing too much for R&D. If it were that easy to fix every IEM then there should be no reason for a bad one to be released, ever.

Sorry, I can't advise you on the ZS10 as I haven't' heard that. If I had to choose between AS10 and BA10 purely on the sound I would go with the BA10. Good luck with your choice!

Dec 3, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #38,859 of 63,796
Thanks for reading and also the feedback.

Yes, with the straight connector it is almost parallel just as you describe.

Yes, I used my usual tips; in fact, after changing the cable I found that several types of tips worked just fine. The problem was not with the insertion depth, nozzle length or tips, it was purely the unnatural angle caused by the stock cable and shape of my ears.

No, I did not try the mod. First of all, I think the majority of my readers have no interest in street mods - they just want to buy and enjoy. Secondly, if it were that easy to drastically improve the majority of IEMs then the real audio engineers must have serious hearing problems or are getting paid way to much and taking too long/costing too much for R&D. If it were that easy to fix every IEM then there should be no reason for a bad one to be released, ever.

Sorry, I can't advise you on the ZS10 as I haven't' heard that. If I had to choose between AS10 and BA10 purely on the sound I would go with the BA10. Good luck with your choice!

Thanks again! And I wish it were just so easy to place those 5 BAs into something as straight comfy as the ZSN housing.
:rolling_eyes:

On one hand, the AS10 and BA10 will be on sale this 12.12 along with several other related items I'm considering.

On the other my husband smilingly says a few $ to the total amount and we could have the stellar $99 JDS Labs Atom headphone amplifier.
:shrug: :thermometer_face:

Dec 3, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #38,860 of 63,796
No, thank you :p I use a DAP to listen to music, not my phone. And I am not ready to use a cable with a ridiculously tiny DAC (and Amp?). If I'm wired I want the best sound possible or else I'll just go with Bluetooth.
And also, it is not because a trend is being embraced that it is a good one.

Dec 3, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #38,861 of 63,796
Thanks again! And I wish it were just so easy to place those 5 BAs into something as straight comfy as the ZSN housing.
:rolling_eyes:

On one hand, the AS10 and BA10 will be on sale this 12.12 along with several other related items I'm considering.

On the other my husband smilingly says a few $ to the total amount and we could have the stellar $99 JDS Labs Atom headphone amplifier.
:shrug: :thermometer_face:
Yeah, fair enough but what DAC would you use to feed it and what IEMs/headphones do you have now?

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #38,862 of 63,796
Yeah, fair enough but what DAC would you use to feed it and what IEMs/headphones do you have now?

My husband has the Cayin N5iiS to go with the Topping NX4 DSD, both given by his brother. I have my Cayin N3/Topping NX4 combo which used to be his. With our respective gear we both listen to the HiFiMAN HE-400i (actually his that I borrow occasionally) for serious music.

In addition he has his Simgots (EM1, EM3 and EN700 Pro) while I have my KZs, QKZ DM300, Ostry KC06, Sennheiser IE80 and Philips SHP9500 (the latter 3 also used to be his). He also has this secretive grin which means he's been saving up for the HiFiMAN Ananda he can't stop talking about, which also means the HE-400i will be mine.

Yes, hand-me-downs I know but I'm not complaining.

The Atom is the dream amp he's settled on, in lieu of the Topping DX3s (a DAC/Amp) after amirm over at ASR tested and reviewed both; aside from being cheaper by far the Atom is TOTL transparent.

Edit:
Li'l ol' me totally forgot about the QKZ DM300 so it's here now. :girl:

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #38,863 of 63,796
My husband has the Cayin N5iiS to go with the Topping NX4 DSD, both given by his brother. I have my Cayin N3/Topping NX4 combo which used to be his. With our respective gear we both listen to the HiFiMAN HE-400i (actually his that I borrow occasionally) for serious music.

In addition he has his Simgots (EM1, EM3 and EN700 Pro) while I have my KZs, Ostry KC06, Sennheiser IE80 and Philips SHP9500 (the latter 3 also used to be his). He also has this secretive grin which means he's been saving up for the HiFiMAN Ananda he can't stop talking about, which also means the HE-400i will be mine.

Yes, hand-me-downs I know but I'm not complaining.

The Atom is the dream amp he's settled on, in lieu of the Topping DX3s (a DAC/Amp) after amirm over at ASR tested and reviewed both; aside from being cheaper by far the Atom is TOTL transparent.

Do we have another Headfi couple here? :) You should fill out your profile... it sounds like it will grow....

Dec 3, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #38,864 of 63,796
Do we have another Headfi couple here? :) You should fill out your profile... it sounds like it will grow....

Lol. I'm afraid no, but I sure wish we are. My husband came here years ago and like the geek he is asked a newbie question first time and got peppered with snark, snide and shade. He never got over it, I think, by the way he tells that story. :confused:

He's over there at ASR now.

I love it here, though. :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back