Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 1, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #38,821 of 63,832
Another option would be to use a different source. You can get a budget ChiFi DAP in a wide range of prices, some basically the same price as an iFi adapters or fancy cables.
That was going to be my option. The only issue would be if the person wants to use Spotify. I don't know if a cheap player could do that.

Dec 1, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #38,822 of 63,832
I had a snarky response written up and decided it would be best to remove it since it added nothing positive to the thread.

Please share

Dec 1, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #38,823 of 63,832
I was under the impression that something like the IEMatch and an impedance adapter plug (that adds a certain resistance value) are different and that they might not work the same regarding removing hiss.

I'm still not clear on the difference, since I think they're all just resistors?

That's why I suggested contacting someone more knowledgeable, haha. iEMatch changes output impedance and removes hiss. The other adds resistance and removes hiss. Same end result, two different ways of getting there. Or maybe I'm completely off base, flat out wrong, and/or simplifying it too much. In the grand scheme, I don't really care how the end result is reached. Just kill the background noise and I'm content.

Please share

Dec 1, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #38,824 of 63,832
That's why I suggested contacting someone more knowledgeable, haha. iEMatch changes output impedance and removes hiss. The other adds resistance and removes hiss. Same end result, two different ways of getting there. Or maybe I'm completely off base, flat out wrong, and/or simplifying it too much. In the grand scheme, I don't really care how the end result is reached. Just kill the background noise and I'm content.

I'd say the simplification is kinda right? I found the instructions to make a DIY IEMatch here and while the impedance adapter plugs may remove hiss, it can have some undesirable effects on the sound (depending on gear):

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/headphone-attenuation-adapter/

I must say, I can't be bothered to actually understand the concept behind it, but since the adapter is easy enough to make, shouldn't be an issue to anyone handy with a soldering iron. Seems the DIY adapter will always run the IEM with 3 ohm or so output impedance (which is acceptable for most IEMs). I measured my Breeze Audio SE4 and that had 11 ohm OI, which isn't ideal for sensitive IEMs (wasn't an issue with the ZS5v1 or any of my gear, but produced hiss on the Andro).

Dec 1, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #38,826 of 63,832

because.gif

Dec 1, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #38,828 of 63,832
Dec 1, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #38,829 of 63,832
Hi everyone,
Thought to join this great forum since KZ AS10 became a little revelation to me and now is my daily IEM (preferred to few $50-150 in my previous audiophile-to-be journey).
My first KZ was ZS10, which has some great features, but did not work for me.
Now KZ ZSN and ZSA are on the way :)

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #38,830 of 63,832
Hi everyone,
Thought to join this great forum since KZ AS10 became a little revelation to me and now is my daily IEM (preferred to few $50-150 in my previous audiophile-to-be journey).

Welcome to the thread and sorry about your wallet.

Now KZ ZSN and ZSA are on the way :)

Be aware that the ZSA can offer up two very distinct sound signatures depending on the eartips used.

10132650.jpg

Narrow-bored silicone eartips:
The ZSA presentation is full-bodied with lots of micro-detail. The bass is thick, rich and as forward as the energetic lower- and upper-treble. The midrange with these eartips can be somewhat thin but not enough to detract from the presentation unless the track(s) or genre showcase the midrange (bluegrass, folk, acoustic, etc.).

Wide-bored silicone eartips:
The ZSA bass is neutralized. This brings forth the midrange and the presentation gains more "air" and definition. The bass is nearly on equal footing with the midrange. In addition, the bass loses some of its punch but it still retains enough body for a clean and detailed lower end. I listened to the ZSA and ZST back to back for approximately 45 minutes and I can confidently say that the ZSA renders the ZST obsolete.

If it turns out that you enjoy the ZSA enough to score it a 7.5 or higher out of 10 then I highly recommend giving the ZS6 a go. You'd probably rate it a 9 out of 10.

Finally, if you can find an ATR (usually $7+/-) pick one up because it offers up a great price-to-performance ratio and it is quite different from any of the aforementioned models. The debut release is equipped with an ABS dynamic driver while the more current release is equipped differently. I have the former but the latter is reportedly just as good; it may differ slightly from the original.

Original-KZ-ATR-Pole-Tone-3-5mm-In-ear-Earphone-Dual-Driver-Bass-Metal-High-End.jpg_640x640.jpg

HTB1rdaDKVXXXXXxXVXXq6xXFXXX5.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

HTB1WunfAZuYBuNkSmRyq6AA3pXay.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

Again, welcome to the thread and feel free to share your thoughts once you've spent a little time with your new IEMs.

Welcome to our world.
tumblr_ne3ta9W3Qc1tqnrcro1_500.gif

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #38,831 of 63,832
Welcome to the thread and sorry about your wallet.

Be aware that the ZSA can offer up two very distinct sound signatures depending on the eartips used.

Narrow-bored silicone eartips:
The ZSA presentation is full-bodied with lots of micro-detail. The bass is thick, rich and as forward as the energetic lower- and upper-treble. The midrange with these eartips can be somewhat thin but not enough to detract from the presentation unless the track(s) or genre showcase the midrange (bluegrass, folk, acoustic, etc.).

Wide-bored silicone eartips:
The ZSA bass is neutralized. This brings forth the midrange and the presentation gains more "air" and definition. The bass is nearly on equal footing with the midrange. In addition, the bass loses some of its punch but it still retains enough body for a clean and detailed lower end. I listened to the ZSA and ZST back to back for approximately 45 minutes and I can confidently say that the ZSA renders the ZST obsolete.

If it turns out that you enjoy the ZSA enough to score it a 7.5 or higher out of 10 then I highly recommend giving the ZS6 a go. You'd probably rate it a 9 out of 10.

Finally, if you can find an ATR (usually $7+/-) pick one up because it offers up a great price-to-performance ratio and it is quite different from any of the aforementioned models. The debut release is equipped with an ABS dynamic driver while the more current release is equipped differently. I have the former but the latter is reportedly just as good; it may differ slightly from the original.

Again, welcome to the thread and feel free to share your thoughts once you've spent a little time with your new IEMs.

Welcome to our world.
Thank you for the warm welcome!
I feel my wallet is a bit safer confining to KZ rather than all IEM out there ranging from ca. $10 to infinity :)

As for ZSA, I was really curious to explore their v-shape.
I use silicone wide-bore tips with all my IEMs. (Plan to ask few questions about them later)

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #38,832 of 63,832
Really need to get me an AS10. Just had a little a little "discussion" with the wife though. I have to get rid of stuff before I get anything new. So If anybody is interested in trading for a mint condition Havi B3 pro 1 ver 1 with box and things lemme know. LOL. I also have ZST, ZSA, ED8 and ED7 to get rid of.

On a serious note though got TRN BT20 today. These things are really impressive. Press and hold both buttons at the same time until you get connection confirmation, usually just a couple seconds. Then look for connection on whatever BT device you are using. When it finds TRN, then connect.
Sounds great so far. I paired them up with ZS10. It pushes them fine. Super Loud. The closest I can get to full volume before my brains start boiling is 80%. Will keep a track on battery time, but in over 2 hours of wearing tonight, walking around the house with device in kitchen, I never once dropped. That in and of itself is worth the price of admission to me. Don't know how long the battery last, but I will be wearing these at work this week and testing synergy with different IEMs.

So far I give them a thumbs up.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #38,833 of 63,832
Really need to get me an AS10. Just had a little a little "discussion" with the wife though. I have to get rid of stuff before I get anything new. So If anybody is interested in trading for a mint condition Havi B3 pro 1 ver 1 with box and things lemme know. LOL. I also have ZST, ZSA, ED8 and ED7 to get rid of.

On a serious note though got TRN BT20 today. These things are really impressive. Press and hold both buttons at the same time until you get connection confirmation, usually just a couple seconds. Then look for connection on whatever BT device you are using. When it finds TRN, then connect.
Sounds great so far. I paired them up with ZS10. It pushes them fine. Super Loud. The closest I can get to full volume before my brains start boiling is 80%. Will keep a track on battery time, but in over 2 hours of wearing tonight, walking around the house with device in kitchen, I never once dropped. That in and of itself is worth the price of admission to me. Don't know how long the battery last, but I will be wearing these at work this week and testing synergy with different IEMs.

So far I give them a thumbs up.

Where did you buy BT20?

Dec 2, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #38,834 of 63,832
Has anyone tried BT module for KZ ZSN? What impact is on the sound quality? Is it worth investing $15?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back