Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 30, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #38,762 of 63,796
Any idea where I can get this beside amazon? Seems like bargain price for 2x angled quality jacks.

Btw, I got my ZSN 10min ago.
OOTB, they have very slight sibilance/harshness @ treble (Sss/Zzz/Ccc) but it is more like BA treble nature
and probably they will calm down after some playtime.
Will leave them playing for few days and report back.

But I do have to say by brief listening - they probably are KZ`s BEST IEM, in every way.
To me they sound like improved/cleaned up ES4 which will be obsolete in my collection now.
Soundstage width is quite impressive but frontal soundstage depth and layering could be better.
Also vocals sound tad too closed-in presentation for my preferences, quite at "border of my headstage" but not annoying yet. Will see if this will be issue with longer listening sessions after I have given them some playtime alone in the corner on my PC table.
To tame hype train littlebit - IT01 better for sure (especially modded) but it is crazy how good ZSN is for 14$ as whole package.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #38,763 of 63,796
But I do have to say by brief listening - they probably are KZ`s BEST IEM, in every way.
To me they sound like improved/cleaned up ES4 which will be obsolete in my collection now.
Soundstage width is quite impressive but frontal soundstage depth and layering could be better.
To tame hype train littlebit - IT01 better for sure (especially modded) but it is crazy how good ZSN is for 14$ as whole package.
What a presumptious guy! ZSN better than AS10?! :) I'm glad to hear they are better than ES4 as those are my faves right now. Cool beans.

I want to know how you got the ZSN for $14. :wink: As a Canadian I had to pay $20!

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #38,764 of 63,796
Nov 30, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #38,766 of 63,796
The ZSN pair with the xDuoo X3 perfectly, using the default firmware, no need to equalize any more with Rockbox !
The signature is perfect and all songs are enjoyable to my ears, it's first time this happens to me and this with the cheaper DAP and IEM I have buy.
Happy to finally found a manufacturer who knows my audio tastes and my budget, a nice IEM for a daily usage :pray:

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #38,767 of 63,796
I just want to say I listened to quite a few Rock albums yesterday using the NiceHCK EP10 (Queens of the Stone Age, Black Sabbath and others) and they performed brilliantly. Such enjoyment from such a cheap iem. Isn't life just wonderful :)

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #38,768 of 63,796
The 1s is really sweet and such a nice form factor, I really like my NX2 as well, for IC cables I use this connector alot:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...4.0&pvid=5276707c-7d73-4333-b3da-a9ee84f6d01d

I also have these but the Moon is very stiff, the second one is nice for the price and more pliable and the black and blue one may be too long for your application but all work well:wink: I'd not go longer than 55mm if possible and if you really need a short one I love the little black "Pig Tail" from JDS Labs for $4.99, works great when rigs are strapped together and are the same length units:thumbsup:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...5.0&pvid=147836b3-f1c1-4f77-ad18-f6c68384cb4c

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...6.0&pvid=c74a7abe-58be-4ae0-999b-14d8dc758b0a

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HIF...5.0&pvid=a345d2e2-1696-417b-b9d8-ad655264ea66

@Slater , now I remember buying that cable from NiceHCK back in March of last year, his current iteration of it is here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NIC...4.0&pvid=e70e199e-5266-4b30-8278-3731c94f50e4

Here's the one I call the Pig Tail from JDS Labs:grin:

Nice, i'll check out some of those cables. Thank you.

Nov 30, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #38,769 of 63,796
I just want to say I listened to quite a few Rock albums yesterday using the NiceHCK EP10 (Queens of the Stone Age, Black Sabbath and others) and they performed brilliantly. Such enjoyment from such a cheap iem. Isn't life just wonderful :)
Yea, I have had them in my ears since I woke up, but I haven't listened to anything but Rap on em. Might venture into some different genres later, but so far, that bass. Very intoxicating for me. Hits hard with great slam and visceral impact.

Nov 30, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #38,770 of 63,796
Oh yeah, some KZs you buy to listen to, some are strictly 'investment grade'....part of the enjoyment of chi-fi is not having to worry about things like which one is going to have the best re-sale value. Get the ones that appeal the most to you in terms of: looks, sound quality, fit, etc....the LAST thing on the list with a KZ is resale value.

I think the limited edition ZST would have good resale value. The ones with the special back covers.

The sound of the ZST isn’t the best though.

Nov 30, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #38,771 of 63,796
Any idea where I can get this beside amazon? Seems like bargain price for 2x angled quality jacks.

Btw, I got my ZSN 10min ago.
OOTB, they have very slight sibilance/harshness @ treble (Sss/Zzz/Ccc) but it is more like BA treble nature
and probably they will calm down after some playtime.
Will leave them playing for few days and report back.

Also vocals sound tad too closed-in presentation for my preferences, quite at "border of my headstage" but not annoying yet. Will see if this will be issue with longer listening sessions after I have given them some playtime alone in the corner on my PC table.

Since that’s a genuine FiiO cable, I would imagine anyone who carries FiiO products can get the cables.

And yes it is a bargain price. I’m convinced FiiO is losing money on them (or maybe just breaking even), and only using them as a way to encourage use of their products (ie stacking).

Kind of like how razor companies give you a nice razor handle because they know you’ll buy the blades.

Nov 30, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #38,772 of 63,796
Nice, i'll check out some of those cables. Thank you.

When I say the wire is stiff I mean the wire is stiff on that one! I mean you get a bonus built in stand:rolling_eyes::grin:

Built In Stand.JPG

@CoiL Why not the one off AliEx? Just figured if you bought from Penon you would also buy off AliEx:thinking: Oh yeah, tips and Burn on the ZSN's:beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #38,773 of 63,796

Hmm, been playing around (or Rockin' out to Candlebox, Collective Soul, Dishwalla, Puddle of Mudd and Zep) with these Mee's off a little MiniT and at first I thought they were far to bass forward for the Pod but they have really grown on me especially with the M3s/Jazz combo and yes @LaughMoreDaily they are the classic dress black:rolling_eyes:

Good Plana.JPG

I know, I know this is not a Mee thread so here's an old namesake rig with the 6's:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

KZ iCMOY.JPG

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #38,775 of 63,796
I do like that IC and specs on it sound awesome as well. If you find one for sale post that link:wink:

Will do, Podster.

I'd forgotten I bought this KZ Type A Bluetooth "5.0" cable last mid-year sale at Shopee.ph for about US $6.75, I think.

ACC4BF33-6E31-4241-90D9-10593E9A02D2.jpeg

There are quotation marks because the box it came with, and also the User's Manual have this tiny strip of white paper with "Version: Bluetooth 5.0" printed on it pasted on where I suppose the Bluetooth version would be stated. The box was sealed when I got it and the User's Manual naturally was inside the sealed box.

IMG_5761.JPG

I asked the seller about this and he floored me when he replied it's authentic plus it's Apt-X capable.

True enough, it easily paired and connected with the Cayin N3 with Apt-X switched on. :no_mouth:

Attached to the KZ ED16 the sound was off, as if I were situated at the farthest corner of a huge auditorium while the artist was playing onstage. I suspected it may have something to do with the Apt-X codec and/or its implementation or, it may be wired out of phase, having read through Slater's posts regarding the latter. Well, if it's just wiring I may have the inclination but I (or my husband) don't have the dexterity, patience and eyesight to do any repairs so the cable stayed in its box.

This morning on a whim I dug the cable out and attached it to the ZSN then connected to the N3. Brian Bromberg's acoustic bass surprisingly sounded good—very good in fact but a bit thin. I switched the N3 to medium gain and suddenly it's as if I were listening to the ZSN wired. That was the setup with the photo of Rudolph I posted some 15 posts back. After a recharge I'm still listening thru this ZSN-Bluetooth cable combo.

Of course I'm happy. Very happy. :L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back