Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 26, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #38,551 of 63,834
It is interesting that you compare it with the ZST. The ZST is my least favorite KZ (of those I own). I hear a harshness in vocals. But I love my ZSN. I have the Purple one and have ordered the Cyan as a backup. I notice some people are calling it green and some photos do look that way. Cyan should be more a a blue green. I guess I will find out when it gets here.
+1 I don't remember ZST sounding anything close to the ZSN with those harsh vocals and mid-bass slam resonating from the plastic housing, which the ZSN is the contrary to that -deeper sub-bass and non-harsh sounding vocals. Can't seem to figure out how they are compatable in signature. I sent them back after the burn-in trial several years back.

...still waiting on my black on black ZSN order. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #38,552 of 63,834
It is interesting that you compare it with the ZST. The ZST is my least favorite KZ (of those I own). I hear a harshness in vocals. But I love my ZSN. I have the Purple one and have ordered the Cyan as a backup. I notice some people are calling it green and some photos do look that way. Cyan should be more a a blue green. I guess I will find out when it gets here.
I definitely feel the ZST is the lesser of the two, the ZSN with more clarity, but the sound signature isn't too different except sibilance on female vocals is non-existent. I've always enjoyed the ZST's as a cheap end IEM. ZSN to me is an upgrade to the ZST.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #38,553 of 63,834
I'm going to be giving the one of the ZSNs to my SO and well, she has a really small ear canal. Now even with the smallest eartips included we can't seem to make it fit even with the foam tips I've got from new bee. Without the tips they fit fine.. but that not ideal. Does anyone know any other tips that are smaller than these.. I'm not sure if they exist. She's been using the traditional flat earbuds all of her life as IEMs have always not fit/uncomfortable for her, but I would really want to find a IEM that works for her otherwise I might have to just get a Vido or Qian69.

Also I'm on my second day of using the ZSNs and I think I'm starting to like them and so far will most likely be using these as my dailies as they are way more comfortable than the KZ3s. Now when I say less lively, for me lively as in the warm bass-ness signature which I've gotten used to. The ZSNs are definitely more balanced which I'm starting to like.
Asmzbi.jpg

I'd also agree to try to avoid "hype" on new products. For $20, these are definitely nice but don't expect it to be any more than really good value for the $20 budget range.
I've also attached a picture of the cyans and purple, under 6500k temp. they are definitely cyan!
AcExDKP
:)

https://i.lensdump.com/i/Asmzbi.jpg

Attachments

• KZ ZSN.jpg
    KZ ZSN.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #38,554 of 63,834

The TRN BT20 came in last Friday but couldn' t get the left/ right to pair up correctly as there was no instruction provided in the packaging.
Very thankful to Jim of NiceHCK for stepping and getting the instructions (in chinese) and sending it to me over the weekend. Kudos to him.

After pairing up, it was pretty straightforward every other time. Pairing with handphone was practically instant.

Sound:
It seems to be slightly brighter than my normal LG G6 Quad DAC on wired.
But otherwise, bass, mids and treble have not been obviously skewed to notice easily.

Plenty of power for the AS10 and ZS10. My volume control is at about 60-70% for ZS10 listening to Classical music. A notch less for pop. Another notch down when using the AS10.

Connection:
As noted, there were perhaps 3 'glitches' in the right pieces in about 2~3 hours of listening time. But generally connection was still solid between partitions up to maybe 7 meters away. I didn't try further.

Abnormalies:
In seated mode on the bus/ train, sound was basically like how you'll hear it with wires. But the moment i started walking with the phone in my hand, a stramge phenomena happened, the sound stage just strangely sounded like it had expanded to a few meters wider rather than the typical feel.
Not that it was bad, im fact I liked that effect! Not sure if Tinbilly had that 'out of body' experience too. :p

Fit: Wire is a little stiff, so if the curve doesn't fit your ears , it might pose comfort issues. It literally disappears behind the ears once worn. Very neat !

I would say its a good module for the US$25/+ I paid for mine.

Do you mind sharing the instructions?

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #38,555 of 63,834
I've also attached a picture of the cyans and purple, under 6500k temp. they are definitely cyan!
AcExDKP
:)

https://i.lensdump.com/i/Asmzbi.jpg

Nice job of capturing the color. I have the purple that that is how it looks to me. When I googled "cyan" I got this from Wikipedia and the cyan ZSN fits right into this range. I wish my cyan one would hurry up and arrive. My husband is waiting for the black one.

CyanIcon.png

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #38,556 of 63,834
ultimately its all up to readers to interpret the "hype". People are recommending the ZSN, but not making it clear to the less-informed occasional readers that "yes, it is good, but for $20 range." Which is why I prefer reviews like b9scrambler or crinacle, putting their foot down and saying "this is the level of technical ability for this particular IEM", instead of skirting around marketing terms.

It might seem like common sense that a company wouldn't butcher their own flagship by releasing a cheaper model that outperforms, but not a lot of of people have those, apparently.

When did crinacle review the ZSN? Apparently I missed that boat. He is normally very critical of anything KZ.

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #38,557 of 63,834
How is your experience with the one-touch operation?

I haven't gone on to use the buttons for calls as I generally don't do it while listening to music. And I prefer to use the handphone interface for controls too. Can't help there unfortunately.

Any info on setting up? I can get it only out of one ear at a time!
Do you mind sharing the instructions?

Sure! The instructions in chinese I got from TRN via Jim at NiceHCK. A little convoluted if its anything to begin with, as its not exactly in sequence.
The module and phone pairing sequence in short is this:

1: Long press button on both modules for about 5 seconds for Left/Right pairing sequence.
2. Once there, press the button on Right module 2 times quickly. The Left / Right are paired. You'll see the light on one of the module fades and turns offs. Left/Right Pairing is done.
3. Switch off the modules.
4. To pair with phone, long press for 3~5 seconds, and turn on BT module on handphone / laptop to search and pair. It will pair as per any normal BT module now.
5. If left/right pairing fails, you can reset/redo the pairing by long pressing the buttons for both modules for 15 seconds to clear the memory. And repeat from Step 1.

Not too difficult if done correct as the double-click part was what duped me initially. I couldn't get it to pair properly as a pair either.

BT20 Instructions.jpg

Also can anyone post pictures how trn bt20 looks on ear.

20181127_095031~2.jpg 20181127_095105~2.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #38,558 of 63,834
Well, crap. I guess I'll have to try the BT20 too then. And my BT10 should be showing up this week (I hope)...

Make sure you test the BT10 when you get it, as many are internally wired out of phase.

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #38,560 of 63,834
Nice job of capturing the color. I have the purple that that is how it looks to me. When I googled "cyan" I got this from Wikipedia and the cyan ZSN fits right into this range. I wish my cyan one would hurry up and arrive. My husband is waiting for the black one.

CyanIcon.png
+1 Yup!...that's Cyan.:ok_hand:

...I also remember Barney being purple :point_right:
O1CN0122ncHP0Q2DyHJzX_!!0-rate_jpg_400x400.jpg
Barney.jpg

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #38,561 of 63,834
When did crinacle review the ZSN? Apparently I missed that boat. He is normally very critical of anything KZ.

Ah, the wording might make it seem like crin reviewed the ZSN, I was just mentioning the type of reviews I prefer, not just specifically for KZ. To be fair, he's critical of everything, not just KZ (pretty sure he actually put the ZST and ZS3 above models from the likes of AAW and Shozy). His ranking is more or less based on his standards of "technical ability". And for most of the models in that list I tested, I agree with the standings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back