Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 12, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #37,861 of 63,834
For some reason his stuff ALWAYS freezes the google translate plugins or direct web page conversion. No clue why.

What works is to go to the page, select all text, and then paste it into Google translate (at translate.google.com). Works every time, but you don't get the photos (text only).

hm...weird, I never get any kind of crashing there. Then again, its computer stuff, weird crap happens all the time and you can't always figure it out. I use google chrome and pc has 16gb of RAMs, in case its a chrome eating too much memory issue.

Nov 12, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #37,862 of 63,834
hm...weird, I never get any kind of crashing there. Then again, its computer stuff, weird **** happens all the time and you can't always figure it out. I use google chrome and pc has 16gb of RAMs, in case its a chrome eating too much memory issue.

Chromebook user with 4GB of ram here. Like you said; weird stuff.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #37,863 of 63,834
If it was a Qualcomm they would have advertised it or they are dumb not to. No way it is 5100 series cause of the cost. Would be the 3026 but even the cheaper one has the better battery life. Leads me to think it might be other than Qualcomm chipset. Of course how good is the antenna is a big deal as well. Nothing on that. This may dropout a bunch for all we know. We are guinea pigs here. Not sure if you lay back on a bench they won't bob around but that doesn't mean they will come out or break your in ear seal. We need testers :) Many first gen things usually need to be improved or fixed.

so i got some replies from the sellers.

"Dear friend, it is realtek"
"Realtek"
.. 2 other seller also saying realtek

and some said they don't know and one seller seems to lie (i think)

A K Audio Store said: "friend, it is a bluetooth version the new QCC5100 is a low power consumption version"

and while the QCC3026 should also have better battery life, i am not really sold on it quite yet.

the Oppo O-Free comes with the QCC3026 and the sound quality seems to be mediocre. but yeah it depends on the driver used, how well the SoC was implemented, tuning and so on.

but Oppo is one of those companies who should know (and care) about good quality :/

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #37,865 of 63,834
For some reason his stuff ALWAYS freezes the google translate plugins or direct web page conversion. No clue why.

What works is to go to the page, select all text, and then paste it into Google translate (at translate.google.com). Works every time, but you don't get the photos (text only).
+1 True, this would probably be the best way. :thumbsup:

Nov 12, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #37,867 of 63,834
With all the energy centered around the NiceHCK grab bag with a DITA-like designed IEM I am still hoping that KZ will throw some of us a bone by moving forward with their YZ63 teaser design.

Sometimes it's good to go back to the beginning. My hope is that they DO NOT offer it in a hybrid configuration but instead offer it in a very well tuned single dynamic driver that would perhaps rival the Tin Audio T2. Perhaps they can go with an 8mm, 10mm or even design a 12mm single dynamic with similar technology that was used in the HDS3 (high performance rubidium magnet and voice coil imported from Japan).

Yes, I am definitely still waiting for the ZS7.......

.......but I would really like to see KZ put forth a CNC aluminum no-frills housing with detachable cables. Heck, even a dual dynamic in a push-pull configuration would be stellar if KZ knows how to properly do it.

The YZ63 in a single or dual dynamic with detachable cables in brass/gold like this DITA would be a welcome treat from KZ right about now.

The multi-BA war offers no guarantees while a well-tuned dynamic can be all one really needs.

Note to KZ:

+1

Nov 12, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #37,868 of 63,834
I've owned the KZ ZS10 for a few months and tried out various tips that always left me wanting.
Last week I tried out and immediately settled on aftermarket jaybird *foam* tips which seem to only bring down everything including and above 10kHz down by about 10dB.
Finally I can enjoy these without being bothered by the 11-12khz peak.

10193071_thumb.png

10193072_thumb.png

**edit** - changed "jaybird tips" to "jaybird foam tips"

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #37,869 of 63,834
so i got some replies from the sellers.

"Dear friend, it is realtek"
"Realtek"
.. 2 other seller also saying realtek

and some said they don't know and one seller seems to lie (i think)

A K Audio Store said: "friend, it is a bluetooth version the new QCC5100 is a low power consumption version"

and while the QCC3026 should also have better battery life, i am not really sold on it quite yet.

the Oppo O-Free comes with the QCC3026 and the sound quality seems to be mediocre. but yeah it depends on the driver used, how well the SoC was implemented, tuning and so on.

but Oppo is one of those companies who should know (and care) about good quality :/

It’s nice to know what chip is in it from a geek spec standpoint. But I personally didn’t care. It was $21. I didn’t care on the BT3 or BT10 either. Those sound good and work well for what they are. If the new one sounds good and works well I’ll be happy (even if the battery life isn’t as long as what’s claimed, as they never are).

If it was $200, I would have cared much more.

Also keep in mind, a manufacturer can use the best chip in the world, but if it’s poorly implemented the end result will suck. There’s a lot more that needs to go into the overall design than simply what chip is used.

I could be wrong though. Is there something epically awesome about the QCC5100 chip that I’m missing? Or is it just the latest and greatest generation of chip?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #37,870 of 63,834
I've owned the KZ ZS10 for a few months and tried out various tips that always left me wanting.
Last week I tried out and immediately settled on aftermarket jaybird tips which seem to only bring down everything including and above 10kHz down by about 10dB.
Finally I can enjoy these without being bothered by the 11-12khz peak.

10193071_thumb.png

10193072_thumb.png

Wow, nice one! I would have never guessed a silicone tip would have reduced upper treble by 10dB!

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #37,871 of 63,834
Nov 12, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #37,872 of 63,834
It’s nice to know what chip is in it from a geek spec standpoint. But I personally didn’t care. It was $21. I didn’t care on the BT3 or BT10 either. Those sound good and work well for what they are. If the new one sounds good and works well I’ll be happy (even if the battery life isn’t as long as what’s claimed, as they never are).

If it was $200, I would have cared much more.

Also keep in mind, a manufacturer can use the best chip in the world, but if it’s poorly implemented the end result will suck. There’s a lot more that needs to go into the overall design than simply what chip is used.

I could be wrong though. Is there something epically awesome about the QCC5100 chip that I’m missing? Or is it just the latest and greatest generation of chip?

yes its true, the best chip can sound bad if implemented badly.

the nice thing about the QCC5100 series is the much improved battery life(we are talking about up to 65% more efficient). so instead the ~5h we get from the typical bluetooth headset, we could get ~10h battery life

also aptx HD is nice. you end up with ~570KBit so its nearly CD quality

and since its a new chip design, the DAC should also be imroved, but i have no data on that, just assumption on this point, because the chip is so new and there aren't really devices with it yet

on top of that, bluetooth 5.0 allows up to 100mw power (BT < 5.0 only 10mw max) and this puts it on the same power level like wifi (in europe 100mw is max allowed, USA can have higher power)
so if done well, you will have much better range

this all adds up, you you end up with nearly the same quality experience like a wired setup, but without the wires.

also with the stupid trend in the smartphone industry that everyone is removing headphone jacks, you sadly have to look at bluetooth setups at some point in the future.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #37,873 of 63,834
yes its true, the best chip can sound bad if implemented badly.

the nice thing about the QCC5100 series is the much improved battery life(we are talking about up to 65% more efficient). so instead the ~5h we get from the typical bluetooth headset, we could get ~10h battery life

also aptx HD is nice. you end up with ~570KBit so its nearly CD quality

and since its a new chip design, the DAC should also be imroved, but i have no data on that, just assumption on this point, because the chip is so new and there aren't really devices with it yet

on top of that, bluetooth 5.0 allows up to 100mw power (BT < 5.0 only 10mw max) and this puts it on the same power level like wifi (in europe 100mw is max allowed, USA can have higher power)
so if done well, you will have much better range

this all adds up, you you end up with nearly the same quality experience like a wired setup, but without the wires.

also with the stupid trend in the smartphone industry that everyone is removing headphone jacks, you sadly have to look at bluetooth setups at some point in the future.

Yeah HTC was too dumb to suppress the 3.5mm port while they had te best audio phone with the HTC 10, though you can still use a USB C to 3.5mm adapter, the one that come with the U11+ and U12+ is quite nice and loud

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #37,874 of 63,834
Wow, nice one! I would have never guessed a silicone tip would have reduced upper treble by 10dB!
I bought those ostry tunning tips off Amazon. They are silicone with metal tubes and mesh screens/filters. The black ones absolutely crush treble. I bet it's 10db at least. The red ones are a bit less treble reduction, and the blue ones are bass tips. They run $6 a pack which includes s, m, L tips or can be purchased with all 3 packs for $17. I actually got lucky and saw a seller that had all 3 packs for $6 prime shipped. Jumped on those. Don't know if I will ever use them, but they are an option.

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #37,875 of 63,834
Yeah HTC was too dumb to suppress the 3.5mm port while they had te best audio phone with the HTC 10, though you can still use a USB C to 3.5mm adapter, the one that come with the U11+ and U12+ is quite nice and loud
but then you can't charge and listen to music in the same time.
and also this is yet an additional thing you could forget at home

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back