Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 16, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #36,331 of 63,796
Sub-bass is pretty cavernous. My coworker ended up buying mine off me after I lent him those and the ED16 and I've still got a little regret over letting him take the ES4 away from me.

Isolation is so-so, even if you get a good seal. Certainly not the worst, but not quite as impressive as a pair that's fully sealed. Nothing to really complain about there, either.

In terms of SQ, I'd say it's probably the most coherent pair of the KZs I've used to date. In a sense, it's considerably "polite" in that it possesses energy, but not to the extent that it massively overemphasizes any one part of the frequency range. I consider it a happy compromise between the ED16 and ZS6 where the former brings the top-end up just a hair more and the ZS6 even more so, but has such a sweet soundstage that it doesn't bother me. Going back and forth between the ZS6 and ES4, though, takes a good amount of adjustment time. Definitely two different animals, in my opinion.

Wait, you talking about the ZS4 or the ES4?

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #36,332 of 63,796
Finally got ED9. Took me long enough I know, but It was just a matter of where it fell on the depth chart and when the money would be appropriated for them. @Slater Have you ever takin these apart?
I wonder if it would be possible to recable them? Would love to use some of that Marley cable that @mbwilson111 used on some of her buds.

I have taken the back plates off numerous pairs, which allows you to see the cable. But I have not taken them completely apart to where the driver is exposed for recabling.

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #36,334 of 63,796
I have taken the back plates off numerous pairs, which allows you to see the cable. But I have not taken them completely apart to where the driver is exposed for recabling.
I was just wondering if it was doable. The ED9 is by far and away my favorite KZ I have heard. The cable just sucks. Would pay triple the price If KZ would just use a slightly better cable.

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #36,335 of 63,796
I was just wondering if it was doable. The ED9 is by far and away my favorite KZ I have heard. The cable just sucks. Would pay triple the price If KZ would just use a slightly better cable.
I know my opinion is "impopular" but even if my ed9 are faulty, i like ED9 cable, sure better than the horrible ZS3 detachable one.

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #36,336 of 63,796
I got my ed9 last week
As i'm a lucky person it was a faulty unit.
Ordered ED9 --> faulty
Ordered trn v80 --> faulty

I think i am an unlucky guy, combined with chi fi bad quality control, the result is maybe i should stop buying chi fi.

Anyway, my ed9 have the right earbud that sounds at a lower volume than the left earbud
So i can't listen to them with pleasure and share opinions, but what i can say is that they need a little burn-in at the beginning.
Treble region is too sharp imho.

Yup I was worried about the treble too. Heard lots of people talking about the sizzle. Good or bad, my 42 year old punk rock musician ears have had enough of a treble roll off that these are pretty nice. Not close to the sizzle that ZSA has, and apparently ZS6. Anyway I like both nozzles equally for different genres, but am sticking with the gold/red bass tube KZ tips(I love those tips), for hip hop, reggae, dancehall and other bass heavy genres. Bass quality punches way above it price and the quantity is there in full force. Without EQ I could feel rumble in my ears. With EQ I was shocked at how much these could take before it became messy.

Fun stuff.

EDR1 at $3
ED9 at $10

Could have stopped after that and saved a bunch of money.

But what fun is that? LOL

Sep 16, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #36,337 of 63,796

Know anyone with a defective ED9? If I had a pair sent to me, I could do a more destructive tear down to learn how it’s assembled. I have a pretty good hunch, but I don’t want to risk damaging my perfectly good pair just to find out.

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #36,338 of 63,796
Yup I was worried about the treble too. Heard lots of people talking about the sizzle. Good or bad, my 42 year old punk rock musician ears have had enough of a treble roll off that these are pretty nice. Not close to the sizzle that ZSA has, and apparently ZS6. Anyway I like both nozzles equally for different genres, but am sticking with the gold/red bass tube KZ tips(I love those tips), for hip hop, reggae, dancehall and other bass heavy genres. Bass quality punches way above it price and the quantity is there in full force. Without EQ I could feel rumble in my ears. With EQ I was shocked at how much these could take before it became messy.

Fun stuff.

EDR1 at $3
ED9 at $10

Could have stopped after that and saved a bunch of money.

But what fun is that? LOL

Ye i can confirm ed9 would be a great daily driver if mine were working well.. but i'm unlucky.
The bassy filter is actually awesome and i prefer it over the "bass-shy" one.
I'm really curious about how do they work if unmounting them and assembling them in a different way maybe it could be more 2 combinations like our guru @Slater say.

Know anyone with a defective ED9? If I had a pair sent to me, I could do a more destructive tear down to learn how it’s assembled. I have a pretty good hunch, but I don’t want to risk damaging my perfectly good pair just to find out.
I have a defective one that has a lower volume. I would have sent it to you but shipping costs more than a new pair.

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #36,339 of 63,796
I know some dude in Italy with a defective pair. Post would probably cost more then just ordering one. Lol
Maybe on 11/11 I will order a few, to mess around with. I'm actually having heart palpitations thinking of my black ed9 with a nice rasta cloth wire. The ed9 is an actually slick looking earphone. It could definitely use a better quality cable.
The rubber stuff is just to sticky and gummy. Turn my head and the rubber sticks to something and tugs on my ears.

Sep 16, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #36,342 of 63,796
I'm perplexed, should I get ZS10 or AS10? I like the reviews the former has, but there's also that unfixable zigzag treble in all of the available graphs. The latter's graph is much cleaner, but I don't know whether its imaging and channel balance is up to par. Could anyone enlighten me as to these qualities in AS10? I think audiocheck.net had a channel balance test - are there no glaring issues for AS10 with it?

Sep 16, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #36,343 of 63,796
1. On the subject of cheap audiophile gear, what cheap DAC would you guys recommend? Are there any Chi-Fi DACs that have a huge following among audiophiles?

2. I've got the ZS10 and I'm also wondering whether or not to move to the AS10 or the BA10. I enjoy the ZS10 but:

- I have to tone down the 2kHz and 4kHz frequencies a tad because otherwise it's too bright.
- I wish the ZS10 had more precise bass.

How is the brightness of the AS10 compared to the ZS10 and how about the bass?

3. Is the BA10 supposed to just be a cosmetic change to the AS10? is it using the same five BA drivers as the AS10?

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #36,344 of 63,796
Sep 16, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #36,345 of 63,796
Was hoping there would be bunch of BA10 impressions and comparisons to the BGVP DMG/BQEYZ BQ3.

Also really hoping KZ releases a matte all black BA10. These red/gold colors are ugly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back