Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 11, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #36,242 of 63,801
Sep 11, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #36,246 of 63,801
I recently picked up a set of the ED16's and I really like them but I'd like to get some Comply tips but i can't find anywhere the right size for them. I stuffed a pair of foams that came with my Pinnacle PX's over the nozzle but it doesn't seem to fit properly.

I have spinfits on mine... it helps the nozzle to go in a bit more so that the shell lies flat. Comfortable and a good seal for me.

Sep 11, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #36,247 of 63,801
I recently picked up a set of the ED16's and I really like them but I'd like to get some Comply tips but i can't find anywhere the right size for them. I stuffed a pair of foams that came with my Pinnacle PX's over the nozzle but it doesn't seem to fit properly.
The Comply smartcore are a one size fits all iems product. They only seem to come in medium but I have a pair on my KZ ZS10 as well as my iSine 20. That's a 400 series and a 600 series monitor. The smartcore fits 100-600 as the insert area stretches. They are awesome. The smartcore audio pro is also $9.99 for a set of 3 on Amazon right now

Sep 11, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #36,248 of 63,801
IMG_20180911_210125.jpg

Just a little haul from AliExpress recently. PHB EM-023 in Green, KZ AS10 black no mic, TRN V80 with mic, TRN cable no mic and new KZ solid case.

I am impressed with all three so far and I think they all beat my HiSenior B5+in my opinion...........

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #36,250 of 63,801
I am impressed with all three so far and I think they all beat my HiSenior B5+in my opinion...........
Wut? really? I will certainly get PHB then (will replace my on-sale IEMs as workhorse)!

Sep 11, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #36,251 of 63,801
tuning by ear has some merits I think.

I strongly disagree. If tuning by ears has merits, Sennheiser/Beyerdynamic/AKG would be doing it and they don't. If the giants in the headphone industry are using CSD and other tools, there must be reason for it. And the reason is age and ear shape affect hearing to a far greater extent than we imagine.
Look at the rtings video on youtube explaining measurements. In a group of 5 peope, there was so much variation in both bass and treble frequency responses as heard at the ears.

30 years ago when computing power was not cheap, headphones/speakers were designed by ears, not now.

The only companies designing by ear now are those who can't afford the tools or lack the expertise. Some companies tout 'designed by ear' as a feature which it isn't.

An inability to read graphs is understandable but to claim that designed with science is inferior to 'designed by ear' is ignorance.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #36,252 of 63,801
The B5+ is a disapointment for me and I will probably never use it again. It has a weird vacuum effect as it is not vented and I never had that issue with any of the above.

Just a quick test with all three and The PHB has the most bass with the least highs, V80 is the brightest with probably the least bass and the AS10 is somewhere in between. They are all very good and would recommend them all and they are all easy to power.

Sep 11, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #36,253 of 63,801
Wut? really? I will certainly get PHB then (will replace my on-sale IEMs as workhorse)!

You're not supposed to be buying any new IEMs Coil! Your modded IT01 were supposed to be your end game earphones lol

I knew you couldn't resist all of the new shiny things for long :wink:

Sep 11, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #36,254 of 63,801
I strongly disagree. If tuning by ears has merits, Sennheiser/Beyerdynamic/AKG would be doing it and they don't.

They do, to think they don't delusional. HD650 was created to have speaker like presentation, by only going by graphs that would be impossible. HD650 wasn't made for studio use, originally was marketed as a HiFi consumer headphone targeted at HiFi speaker audiophiles, for music appreciation, not monitoring. Look back at their original marketing. To believe they only tuned HD650 by numbers and graphs is hilarious.

Momentum is targeted at the consumer mobile user. It has a distinctly colored presentation excellent for modern pop. To believe this was done only by graphs, again, HILARIOUS.

Also for others, you're comparing studio to IEM purely for listening. I frankly don't want perfectly flat frequency response from my mobile IEM. I am not using cheap IEM to do critical listening. I don't care if it has the specifications and best possible frequency chart. How does Coubting Crows sound on the V80? That's what matters. It could have the messiest graph ever, but if music sounds fun, enjoyable, that is what matters. Perfect graph and music sounds lifeless, garbage IEM then, I am buying ChiFi to listen to music, not monitor.

And also AKG supposedly had Quincy Jones consult. I bet he sat there staring at numbers and graphs, because that's what a grammy winning producer would do... Right

Delusional to believe they don't tune by ear as well.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #36,255 of 63,801
They do, to think they don't delusional. HD650 was created to have speaker like presentation, by only going by graphs that would be impossible. HD650 wasn't made for studio use, originally was marketed as a HiFi consumer headphone targeted at HiFi speaker audiophiles, for music appreciation, not monitoring. Look back at their original marketing. To believe they only tuned HD650 by numbers and graphs is hilarious.

Momentum is targeted at the consumer mobile user. It has a distinctly colored presentation excellent for modern pop. To believe this was done only by graphs, again, HILARIOUS.

Also for others, you're comparing studio to IEM purely for listening. I frankly don't want perfectly flat frequency response from my mobile IEM. I am not using cheap IEM to do critical listening. I don't care if it has the specifications and best possible frequency chart. How does Coubting Crows sound on the V80? That's what matters. It could have the messiest graph ever, but if music sounds fun, enjoyable, that is what matters. If I want to monitor, I'd grab a professional grade monitor that frankly may sound lifeless.

And also AKG supposedly had Quincy Jones consult. I bet he sat there staring at numbers and graphs, because that's what a grammy winning producer would do... Right

Delusional to believe they don't tune by ear as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back