Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 11, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #36,226 of 63,832
Agreed, anyone with an in, or contact at KZ, tell them to stop doubling up on the treble, double up on the mids instead.

Definitely curious if BA10 will compete w/ BGVP DMG hype.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #36,227 of 63,832
Agreed, anyone with an in, or contact at KZ, tell them to stop doubling up on the treble, double up on the mids instead.

That is one thing they need. They have no legit offerings with forward midrange. Everything is bass bass bass treble treble treble.

Oh, there is the ED4, which has a W shape. It wasn’t for me, but there are people that liked it though. You can pick them up dirt cheap ($5). Perhaps you’ll be one of the people that like them.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #36,228 of 63,832
That is one thing they need. They have no legit offerings with forward midrange. Everything is bass bass bass treble treble treble.

Oh, there is the ED4, which has a W shape. It wasn’t for me, but there are people that liked it though. You can pick them up dirt cheap ($5). Perhaps you’ll be one of the people that like them.

Yes I've noticed some of the Chinese manufacturers have yet to understand some of us like sparkle to our treble, not shrill sibilance... Example the AD900x has sparkle, treble/mid forward, but it's not sibilant. Focus on the 20-10K range, rather than this stupidity with 40K.

Seems they just focus on the numbers, specifications. And forgetting presentation matters as well, not just the numbers, and but the quality of the sound.

Simply I think they are tuning by the numbers rather than by a mix, with ear as well. And Head-Fi is at fault for this too, everyone is obsessed with graphs. Graphs be damn, my ears are more important.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #36,229 of 63,832
My whole reason for getting away from iems years ago was the "in my head" feeling. iSine and less so ZS10 have rid me of that feeling.
You could try ZS5v1 with proper amping&dac too if You can (there is no v1 anymore, at least ppl have stopped trying to get v1, maybe latest batch has reverted back to v1 but no-one knows).
It has better soundstage "open/airy" nature than my modded IT01 and best I`ve heard among KZ, sometimes even topping my Aune T1 setup with X1 open cans (depends on music/mastering). But sometimes can sound little too "hollow". Thought that ES4 is best KZ but after listening ZS5v1 few min, realized that latter is still king of KZ for me (very subjective).
That reminded me... I should finish up my v1 shell mod -.-
And then there is 4in1 DD or ZST DD + BK50 BA mod in ZS3/ZS4 shells... and so on... too many projects unfinished ;/

Edit: Just decided to not finish many projects and sell some IEMs, KZs also, check if interested:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iem-earbud-cleanup-kz-es4-zst-anv-4in1-monk.888656/

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #36,230 of 63,832
Simply I think they are tuning by the numbers rather than by a mix, with ear as well. And Head-Fi is at fault for this too, everyone is obsessed with graphs. Graphs be damn, my ears are more important.

This head-fier is not obsessed with graphs. When they are posted, I just scroll past them. Some are way too hard to even be seen on screen anyway. If I did want to study graphs I would want big sheets of paper.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #36,231 of 63,832
This head-fier is not obsessed with graphs. When they are posted, I just scroll past them. Some are way too hard to even seen on screen anyway. If I did want to study graphs I would want big sheets of paper.
How many graphs posted here are absolutely dead wrong too?

Sep 11, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #36,232 of 63,832
How many graphs posted here are absolutely dead wrong too?

And so many times graphs are not representative of sound. IMO HD650 sound and it's graph are completely different for example. K712 and HD600 graphs are fairly similar, yet sound totally different, which is where tuning by ear has some merits I think.

Sep 11, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #36,234 of 63,832
Okay guys, This would be the best KZ setup...

Perfect, actually better than anything I have ever heard.

KZ ES4
20ohm adapter from penon(smartphone users)
75ohm adapter dunu(High power amp and DAP users)
Silver cable
Neutraliser(adapter made the tuning even more easier and less distorty)
Viper(spectrum extension to get high end air treble back )

1 word

Amazing.

It is better than AS10, TinAudio T2 and many champion.
Channel imbalance is way better.
Soundstage is correct
Timbre is phenomenal
Sorta made the fuzzy bass(due to its inherited KZ gene and narrow starline) clear.....I mean way clear
Smoother and dammed.....this resolution takes iBasso it01..
Something a little darker than neutral, way more relaxing..bass got control.

If somebody wants the exaggeration, it is somewhat sounding like King Pro and Final E5000 son or daughter....

King pro like bass and E5000 like mids...

And I m serious.

Mother swear.

And if you want a real time comparison..

Way better than AS10 in positional cues and timbre. AS10 has advantage in clarity though.....but the ES4 makes me sleep due to its stage depth and reach
I just lower a couple of dBs at 20-250Hz and add a bit more at 8-16kHz with an equalizer. Better channel balance than ED16 definitely, proven both by available frequency response graphs and by audiocheck.net tests, the imbalance is audible. But isolation and comfort of ES4 are lax. Can't sleep with them on.

Sep 11, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #36,235 of 63,832
Nothing wrong with graphs if you can correlate what you see with what you hear and prefer to hear.

Nothing wrong with skipping them either, then you can choose to buy something and judge for yourself or take another person's word on their sound influenced by their own hearing and preference.

Plenty of choice :)

Sep 11, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #36,236 of 63,832
If Head-fi would enforce a set of common units and graduations on all posted FR graphs, even though the calibrations would still be called into question, at least the shape of the curve would remain relevant for comparisons. As it is, with everyone using different tools and different graduations on the graphs, it is easy to mistakenly look at the shape of a curve and not the units and draw a lot of poor conclusions.

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #36,239 of 63,832
Yes, some kind of standard would definitely help and make comparing somewhat easier.

They do have standards. The problem is that the equipment to properly measure gear according to the standard is far out of reach of the average person.

Sep 11, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #36,240 of 63,832
Okay guys, This would be the best KZ setup...

Perfect, actually better than anything I have ever heard.

KZ ES4
20ohm adapter from penon(smartphone users)
75ohm adapter dunu(High power amp and DAP users)
Silver cable
Neutraliser(adapter made the tuning even more easier and less distorty)
Viper(spectrum extension to get high end air treble back )

1 word

Amazing.

It is better than AS10, TinAudio T2 and many champion.
Channel imbalance is way better.
Soundstage is correct
Timbre is phenomenal
Sorta made the fuzzy bass(due to its inherited KZ gene and narrow starline) clear.....I mean way clear
Smoother and dammed.....this resolution takes iBasso it01..
Something a little darker than neutral, way more relaxing..bass got control.

If somebody wants the exaggeration, it is somewhat sounding like King Pro and Final E5000 son or daughter....

King pro like bass and E5000 like mids...

And I m serious.

Mother swear.

And if you want a real time comparison..

Way better than AS10 in positional cues and timbre. AS10 has advantage in clarity though.....but the ES4 makes me sleep due to its stage depth and reach
exaggeration 100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back