Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 28, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #35,881 of 63,834
9IbpxBh.png

...Anybody here live in Germany? :grin:

Aug 28, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #35,882 of 63,834
These are not KZ cables. They are nice looking, but considering their thickness , I do believe the wires are made of aluminium,
(a cheap metal) plated with another metal. The only metal that sounds good is oxygen free copper: "OFC" and it may be plated with silver,
that enhances the sharpness.
Why? as i know these are from KZ. I bought it from aliexpress and they came with the KZ package. So?

Aug 28, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #35,884 of 63,834
These are not KZ cables. They are nice looking, but considering their thickness , I do believe the wires are made of aluminium,
(a cheap metal) plated with another metal. The only metal that sounds good is oxygen free copper: "OFC" and it may be plated with silver,
that enhances the sharpness.

The conductors in that wire are indeed copper, not aluminum FYI.

I just don’t think any of the KZ wires are really silver plated. I think they are tin plated (like most inexpensive “silver plated” ChiFi cables). I think they get away with marketing them as “silver”, because silver is a color in addition to being a metal.

Aug 28, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #35,885 of 63,834
Why? as i know these are from KZ. I bought it from aliexpress and they came with the KZ package. So?
Your cable has no KZ logo I guess, it is not "second generation silver cable" new generation if there is one is the twisted bronze-grey color

I just don’t think any of the KZ wires are really silver plated. I think they are tin plated (like most inexpensive “silver plated” ChiFi cables). I think they get away with marketing them as “silver”, because silver is a color in addition to being a metal.
Tin plated wires sound muffled, at the opposite of silver plated (that I use with speakers since long) that sound more sharp.
Silver metal is no more expensive like it was, therefor it is now largely used in the industry.
Silver fixing: 28 August 2018: one (troy) once (31.10g) = 14.9575USD
I use the KZ silver cables with KZ logo (that turn green after some time) on ZSR and ED16, and they do inprove sharpness, clarity & punch versus stock cable.

https://www.gearbest.com/headphone-accessories/pp_712517.html

Tin and Silver plating do not look neither sound the same

The "red & blue" cable even without the KZ logo seems well to be from KZ, they insist it is professionaly silver plated + the solder contains 4% silver (this is the best for sound that I use myself) but they do not advertise the wires body are made of OFC

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...e20a-41b2-bb2f-35b2bbb85aee&priceBeautifyAB=0

Le last line of KZ cables (twisted) are advertised as pure OFC for the brown one (stock with ES4)
and pure OFC silver plated for the grey.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ear...572.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.52be4c4dHgZ136

IMG_9547_s.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #35,886 of 63,834

Hello Slater
Did you receive the ZS4?
They are changing the price everday, yesterday I could find at 14$ now it's 16$, I hope it's not just modded ZS3

Aug 28, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #35,887 of 63,834
Hello Slater
Did you receive the ZS4?
They are changing the price everday, yesterday I could find at 14$ now it's 16$, I hope it's not just modded ZS3

Yes, I placed my order yesterday. Not sure when it will arrive (probably 2-3 weeks).

I paid $12.76 with a $2 select coupon = $10.76. I just chose the cheapest seller.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #35,888 of 63,834
Your cable has no KZ logo I guess, it is not "second generation silver cable" new generation if there is one is the twisted bronze-grey color

Tin plated wires sound muffled, at the opposite of silver plated (that I use with speakers since long) that sound more sharp.
Silver metal is no more expensive like it was, therefor it is now largely used in the industry.
I use the KZ silver cables with KZ logo (that turn green after some time) on ZSR and ED16, and they do inprove sharpness, clarity & punch versus stock cable.

The "red & blue" cable even without the KZ logo seems well to be from KZ, they insist it is professionaly silver plated + the solder contains 4% silver (this is the best for sound that I use myself) but they do not advertise the wires body are made of OFC

Le last line of KZ cables (twisted) are advertised as pure OFC for the brown one (stock with ES4)

IMG_9547_s.JPG

OFC isn’t the only type of copper wire BTW.

And believe what you will. Most of these silver cables are tin.

As far as being able to hear the difference in different platings of the same exact cable (same brand, same conductors, same solder, same plugs) in a blind test, well that claim belongs in the sound science board not this one.

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #35,889 of 63,834
Hello,
I have a question. To preface, I have read through 100's of threads and am trying to find the answer to this question. I"m slowly working my way through this lengthy thread... :)
I was thinking about picking up a pair of the ZS5's. I read that the version 1 was really good. But, then started to see that the v2 MAY be more sibilant? Something to do with the two drivers in the barrel now. Can you still suggest the ZS5's in version 2? I currently have the ATE's and ED9's and they are wonderful. But, still seeking out new KZ IEM's. Any suggestions on this and thanks?

Aug 28, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #35,891 of 63,834
I don't know, but that wouldn't be the worst solution, then they should redesign the sound and get rid of these nasty peaks in highs and rerelease it as ED16 Pro, or ED16 HD... That would make me really happy

I do not hear anything "nasty" in my ED16. I love the sound so I obviously am not hearing them the way that you do. You cannot assume that what YOU hear is the same for everyone. This is the cable and tips I am using... neither are stock for the ED16.

R0013604.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #35,892 of 63,834

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...e20a-41b2-bb2f-35b2bbb85aee&priceBeautifyAB=0

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ear...572.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.52be4c4dHgZ136

IMG_9547_s.JPG
No it has significant logo on the cable's package and itself. Its obviously KZ product. BTW i have the ES4 and the new cable (ZS10-AS10-ES4) They sound even worse than the silver cable. Keeps tangling.

Aug 28, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #35,894 of 63,834
Yes, I placed my order yesterday. Not sure when it will arrive (probably 2-3 weeks).

I paid $12.76 with a $2 select coupon = $10.76. I just chose the cheapest seller.

whoa where'd you get the $2 select coupon from?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back