Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 26, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #35,821 of 63,834
A pair of KZ ZSA earphones arrived at my door. I was not expecting much, more so because I am normally into earbuds. But, really impressed with both the form and function of these for around $20 USD.

Below are a few photos I took of them:

P1100171.jpg

P1100159.jpg

P1100165.jpg

--

Aug 26, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #35,822 of 63,834
Speaking of ZS6, I have been spending a lot of time with the ZS6 lately.

Other than the treble spike at 10k, I know the other main complaint of the ZS6 is a lack of sub bass.

Well, I'll be honest, with proper fitting tips and a deep/tight seal, they have no lack of sub bass whatsoever. It extends all the way down to ~15Hz, and the sub bass is quite accentuated - deep and hard hitting.

I'm not really sure where this misconception originated?

I concur about the misconception. I like my ZS6's a lot, and using the Bink Audio CD, they extend to 15hz and are powerful. Maybe those who are sensitive to the treble spike get the sensation that the highs are offsetting the low end? Oh, I use Tennmak Whirlwinds on mine, but the stock tips in M worked well for me also. I think personally that the wider bore Tennmaks or KZ Whirlwinds help the overall sound signature.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #35,823 of 63,834
So it's either getting a cable with better memory wires than the one that came with the zsr or get a new pair of iem.
How good is the zs4? Is it a pale copy of the zs3 or SQ is better?
The zsr are 0.75 or 0.78 pins?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #35,825 of 63,834
Yodobashi itsumademo!

Haha yeah I have also spent countless hours at Yodobashi and Bic in both Osaka and Tokyo! I started going to e-earphone many years ago when it was a small-ish shop upstairs at the end the road in Nippombashi Osaka.. They have really expanded since then and I think they tend to have the best deals. Great used gear section too, and anything expensive I tend to buy used from there.

Aug 26, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #35,826 of 63,834
I have ZS6 and i burned them over 70 hours now they sound great but also i have thr right side which is different from my other ZS6s. It has no lip on the nozzle and also texts are different. That one has hissing sound as hell idk if its burn in helped but lip one has no hissing sound at all.

Aug 26, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #35,828 of 63,834
Which headset cable is recommended for the KZ Ed16? Do you have recommendations?
I just tried the KZ silver cable on the ED16, and for me on my X3, it realy inproves the sound.
Slightly more sharpness without hardness... More dynamic sound, more real, more deepness.

(5.25$ on ebay)

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/KZ-ZS3-Head...280160?hash=item41bdecb220:g:kkcAAOSwtfhYoUsD

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/KZ-ZS3-Head...694104?hash=item211c7a3e18:g:Y9kAAOSwa~BYUOr-

the new twisted KZ cable, "copper" color "silver plated" (rather grey looking) still to be tested

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/0-75mm-Silv...031454?hash=item2130494ede:g:EqAAAOSwE-lZ6GcY

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #35,829 of 63,834
Am I the only one who thinks that the KZ Bluetooth 4.2 cable has a bass booster in the DAC? My ES4 becomes so boomy with the bluetooth cable, which is pretty sad since they sound really good wired, one of the best KZ I’ve ever used. Using it with the bluetooth makes me a bit dizzy due to the boomy bass..

I wonder if the APTX cable is going to have any difference, do they sound better than the non-APTX cable?
I didn’t buy the APTX one because I’m using an iPhone 6S which has no aptx support..

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #35,830 of 63,834
Am I the only one who thinks that the KZ Bluetooth 4.2 cable has a bass booster in the DAC? My ES4 becomes so boomy with the bluetooth cable, which is pretty sad since they sound really good wired, one of the best KZ I’ve ever used. Using it with the bluetooth makes me a bit dizzy due to the boomy bass..

I wonder if the APTX cable is going to have any difference, do they sound better than the non-APTX cable?
I didn’t buy the APTX one because I’m using an iPhone 6S which has no aptx support..

Did you check in the music settings of your iphone if bass boost & equ were off
and if the choice of sound profile was: "flat" (you may test the others as "classical, bass reducer" etc)

Aug 26, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #35,832 of 63,834
Apr

KZ cable supports AAC codec and your iPhone will stream music using it. In terms of quality its more or less equivalent to APTX.

I use the cable with my ED16 and I don’t find it boomy. I do think it tones down the sibilance a bit, which works to its advantage.

If you are using the default music app, you can try using the ‘Bass reducer’ profile. It does a good at reducing the bass.

Aug 26, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #35,834 of 63,834
@Podster likes the benjie S5 with his ZS6 and looks like a great VFM. If you can spend a bit more, I would recommend getting the Shanling M0. It's feature packed and performs brilliantly considering the size and price ($109).
I have a Benjie S5 and love it. Sound quality is good and it's tiny. I also have a Fiio X1, but it's bigger and heavier, so I don't use it as much as the S5.

Current rig for NYC streets and subways is Benjie S5 and KZ ED9.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back