Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 13, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #33,556 of 63,796
Actually @audionab discovered it, and I was the one who used it in the beginning.

Basic professional level Eq can be reached.

Go to completely silent room
30hz 8khz and 16khz are harder to hear in a noisy or slightly noisy room

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #33,557 of 63,796
Burson v6 vivid...try this op amp
I want to and I will eventually. But that opamp costs me $70.00. It's hard to justify the cost when I've heard other people say sometimes they prefer another opamp other than that one. It's not often, but it happens. I will buy that opamp, just not soon.

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #33,558 of 63,796
I want to and I will eventually. But that opamp costs me $70.00. It's hard to justify the cost when I've heard other people say sometimes they prefer another opamp other than that one. It's not often, but it happens. I will buy that opamp, just not soon.
It actually justify its prices.

They are pinnacle of what an op amp can be

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #33,559 of 63,796
Burson v6 vivid...try this op amp

Or Texas opa1688 package chip if you can mod.

Burson v6 vivid is complete overkill solid-state based op amp with pure class A sequence.

It means class A sound with op amp efficiency.

I had burson v5d and it blew my socks of. It made me feel that the world is very big. I am not defining soundstage, soundstage is not present here but a sound world.

According to burson, they claim that nothing is added by this op amp. It does the work of what an op-amp should do, amplify the signal.
I want to try the OPA1688 if someone could put one up on E-bay and I could buy that, that'd be awesome. :wink: I'd also like to try 2209 if someone helps me out tho.

I will search for someone local with Burson opamps to test out, because right now I can't see why I would spend $190.00 in my currency to buy a Vivid, sorry. Especially since it's not portable. I might have forgot to mention but I've already wasted $600+ on this hobby. (Wasted, because I bought budget and not TOTL)

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #33,560 of 63,796
It actually justify its prices.

They are pinnacle of what an op amp can be
I trust that the V5I is worth it, I really do. I just can't throw any more massive amounts of money into this hobby and Burson products would send me that way.

I need to sell some of my headphones/players/opamps before I can move on to TOTL (Burson, not budget, etc). I never mentioned all the on-ears and over-ears headphones I bought as well.

Jun 13, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #33,561 of 63,796
That's why I'm recheck the codec using CatLog app to assuring and confirmed its SBC, not APT-X. The SBC is not that bad, but once you hear same song in APT-X it will be a surprise, even if it's just ogg 256 file (Spotify high quality stream mode for Premium User).

Anyway I'm not really surprised though, due to APT-X codec usually only available in CSR made BT chip. It's just my curiosity of something this cheap lol

The first one. And the 2nd link isn't it different brand? Mine is KZ.

The 2nd one (the one I have) is the TRN brand which is compatible with the KZ headsets has a significantly better battery life then the first one linked. It very much could be that your audio source is the key factor for the sound quality difference. I can't attest which one is better because I own the 2nd one due to the fact of the longer battery life/positive reviews.

Jun 13, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #33,562 of 63,796
So I see aliexpress sale starts tomorrow. I love the zsa, is it worth getting the zs10 on a sale price?

Jun 13, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #33,564 of 63,796
I'll never use a smartphone to listen to music so I don't see the point of testing these headphones on one. I'm really old school. I prefer a portable music player. The ones I have are Colorfly C3, Benjie S5, Zishan Z1, Zishan Z3, Walnut v2.2 and Walnut V2S.

As you can tell I like to waste money. I'm trying to fix that... For now, I guess with the $600+ dollars wasted on budget players and headphones I can help someone out:

They're all the same, just buy a couple pairs of headphones and a single music player with changeable opamp and roll with it. I saved you $100's of dollars. :wink:
So yeah, your players are allright, but budget IEMs made a huge step. Just take any IEM of my top 5 in my signature and we’ll talk again. :wink:

So I see aliexpress sale starts tomorrow. I love the zsa, is it worth getting the zs10 on a sale price?
No, because the ZSA is like a more balanced, less fatiguing tuned version of the ZS10.

Jun 13, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #33,565 of 63,796
Actually @audionab discovered it, and I was the one who used it in the beginning.

Basic professional level Eq can be reached.

Go to completely silent room

Two things. First, I installed equalizer on my Nexus 6p. I had to uninstall Ainur Sauron and the Dirac HW mods to get it to work. I take it you just use this with test tones to create a profile for the iems you are using? I see you say to do this in a silent room, which is a nice idea, but will be difficult where I live. But, I am going to try it out, although I have been quite happy with my setup before.

Second, with the Aliexpress sale starting tomorrow, do you have a clear recommendation between the ed16 and ES4? I have everything in my sig, and also have and like the ZS10 a lot. Thanks.

Jun 13, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #33,566 of 63,796
Started exploring different ways to EQ the ZS10 to make up for some of its flaws and stumbled across an Android app by the name of Neutralizer. I think it's really smart with these since you're basically using your ears to level-match different tones or cancel out anything too bright/boomy. Aiming for something as volume-matched across the range has definitely tamed the hell out of these things, brought the mids to a more even plane, and just overall made them more enjoyable. I added in a photo of the resulting curve; keep in mind that I'm using the silver-plated cable.

Just tried Neutralizer and really like it. Thank you! Just got a pair of FMJ Z4 that's mid forward, making symphonic music sound busy. Plus boomy bass. Neutralizer totally cleans it up. It works with Tidal too. Tried a bunch of equalizers on Android, and nothing ever worked this well.

Regarding the Z4 - http://a.co/e7UHMs0, they're good if you like strong mid and don't have fit problem with this over the ear style. Which I do. Out of the box it's hard for me to find the right fit - it's either no bass or very boomy bass. They're great for the $10 price a couple days ago, now they're back to $20. If they sound netralized straight out of the box I'd say they're top notch for $20 - for my taste. It could be the untouched sound signature just isn't my cup of tea. I only adjusted the curve only a couple dbs though, so they're still a great buy.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #33,567 of 63,796
Two things. First, I installed equalizer on my Nexus 6p. I had to uninstall Ainur Sauron and the Dirac HW mods to get it to work. I take it you just use this with test tones to create a profile for the iems you are using? I see you say to do this in a silent room, which is a nice idea, but will be difficult where I live. But, I am going to try it out, although I have been quite happy with my setup before.

Second, with the Aliexpress sale starting tomorrow, do you have a clear recommendation between the ed16 and ES4? I have everything in my sig, and also have and like the ZS10 a lot. Thanks.
Yep, I too had to delete ainur sauron to get it to work

ES4 for more consumer balanced tuning V shape

ED16 for more vibrant enjoyable V shape with more stage

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #33,568 of 63,796

I don't listen to EDM at all. The music I like requires good mids.... rock, blues, singer songwriters, folk, indie, world music, and more. I love the ED16 so it is weird to me that you call it V shape. When people say V shape it sounds to me like it would be horrible for my music. With the ED16, vocals sound natural to me as do acoustic instruments. But what do I know...

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #33,569 of 63,796

Oh, I should have noted that my tastes in music are progressive rock (Genesis, Steve Hackett, Peter Gabriel), a little dubstep, like Lindsey Stirling, some jazz, some rock that is hard to categorize, probably indie, like the Jezebels, Tears for Fears, some acoustic, som pop, like Sia, a lot of big symphonic music, like Mahler, Bruckner, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, etc. Soundstage and air are important, so it sounds like maybe the ED16 would be a better choice. That said, I just used Neutralizer, and like it so far. I made a profile for my ZS10s so far...

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #33,570 of 63,796
I don't listen to EDM at all. The music I like required good mids.... rock, blues, singer songwriters, folk, indie, world music, and more. I love the ED16 so it is weird to me that you call it V shape. When people say V shape it sounds to me like it would be horrible for my music. Vocals sound natural to me as do acoustic instruments. But what do I know...

From what I've seen (going based off of peoples reviews and FR plots), it's the treble part of the V extends to upper mids, where you'll hear guitars, female vocals, etc. It's the rest of mids that seem to be recessed, which many people don't care for. It's where the body of the vocals (especially male vocals), guitars, etc are. It's hard to do right, if that range is too boosted it's very obviously muddy and not clear, so being recessed is pretty safe, and is typical of the KZ sound. PLUS: everyone's ears are different, and many of these regions are shaped differently by everyone's unique pinna, which IEMs bypass, and ear resonances. So what might sound natural to some, sound hollow to others.

ES4's are below:

ck4siA7.jpg

Note that it's hard to measure treble reliably with all the resonances, and the peaks/valleys beyond ~8KHz are normal. Plus there should be some sort of peak around 2~8 KHz of a certain magnitude, but perhaps not this big. Look up Harman Target Curve if you're interested in learning more.

Also, non-flat impedance curves can effect the frequency response if the source has a high output impedance. Non-flat curves are typically worse with multi-driver IEMs. Lastly, volume effects the perception: see equal loudness curves. The same person that hears a V shaped sound signature at high volume will find it to be flat at a lower volume, and vice versa.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back