Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 5, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #33,092 of 63,796
I have the Ed16 on order.... I see you also have the KZ Es4 and the TRN V20 both of which I own. I know you don't do reviews and I respect that. I am just curious if the Ed16 sounds at all similar to the other two? No pressure. Just curious. Thanks.

I do not have the ES4. I do have the TRN V20.

Here are the KZs that I own (copied from my profile):
KZ ATR
KZ ED9
KZ ED16 - black
KZ ZS6 - green
KZ ZS10 - red
KZ ZSR - translucent green
KZ ZST - carbon

I did listen to my husband' ES4 for a few minutes a couple of weeks ago because it arrived as he was leaving for work. Unfortunately I was unable to enjoy it as it was out of phase. He has since fixed it but I have not felt like trying it again. Too busy enjoying my music with my own gear.

I will listen to the V20 and the ED16 together one day next week but I can't promise that I will be able to answer your question to your satisfaction.

@MDH12AX7
Edited to say I confused the ES4 and the ZSA when I said the ES4 that had listened to was out of phase. It was the ZSA that was out of phase. My husband received both recently...among other things...hard to keep track. I don't think I have even listened to the ES4. Do I need to? I was under the impression that they were very bright? How do you compare the ES4 and TRN V20? Just a general impression.

Edited again... I see you already did compare them in the Hidden Gems thread:)

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #33,093 of 63,796
can anyone share their burn in playlist and sweeps

i don't have one and never did it before

i just ordered kz es4 off gearbest so i wanted to ask which tips should i get for best soundstage.
also i wanted to know how much does silver upgrade cable affect the sound quality

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #33,094 of 63,796
Been using the ZS3 for a while but apparently the stock cable isn't so good and I lost one side of the driver. Love the sound a lot but will the ZS5/6 be a good upgrade? Heard it's quite bright which hesitates me.

Better invest in the silver cables I feel it's definitely worth.

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #33,095 of 63,796
I've tried many different tips, and honestly staging is one area I don't feel the it01 excels (and yes, I have more than 400 hours on them).
I think the zs10 wins staging/layering/separation versus the it01, but the zs10 gets beat by the 170 dollar tfz king pro and easily beat by the 200 dollar brainwavz b400 in my collection.
That`s pretty bold opinion. Makes me think I`ve "gone wrong" with IT01 and should have got ZS10. But... reading other impressions, seems that ppl still find IT01 superior over KZ top offerings (ZS10 also) and You seem to be in minority (not that it matters). All I can say from my part about IT01 is that it could have tad wider soundstage but layering, separation and transparency is top notch imho.
Also I`ve read impressions where IT01 is very closely compared to King Pro, though latter seems tad superior. But all depends on source gear, amping, personal hearing, tips etc. too.
Wish I could compare ZS10 vs. IT01. But likely it wont happen as I got ES4 and dont plan to spend over 15$ anymore for chi-fi occasionally.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #33,096 of 63,796

There's a free iOS app called "1More Assistant". It burns in. I use an old unused iPad just for that purpose.

I do not know if there is an Android version of the app; you'd have to check if you require Android.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #33,097 of 63,796
Been using the ZS3 for a while but apparently the stock cable isn't so good and I lost one side of the driver. Love the sound a lot but will the ZS5/6 be a good upgrade? Heard it's quite bright which hesitates me.

Better invest in the silver cables I feel it's definitely worth.

It may not be your cable that's the problem. There was a batch of ZS3 that had defective drivers, and usually 1 side would go out.

I have been tracking the defective batch since I 1st discovered it. Details are here:

Jun 6, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #33,098 of 63,796
It may not be your cable that's the problem. There was a batch of ZS3 that had defective drivers, and usually 1 side would go out.

I have been tracking the defective batch since I 1st discovered it. Details are here:

Damn that just sucks, I don't think there's anything I can do about this. I'm unsure to buy another ZS3 or try something else. At least as far as I know I prefer the ZS3 over the ZST as well.

Jun 6, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #33,099 of 63,796
Damn that just sucks, I don't think there's anything I can do about this. I'm unsure to buy another ZS3 or try something else. At least as far as I know I prefer the ZS3 over the ZST as well.

Well, the issue was resolved a few months ago, so buy another pair if you prefer them.

Although I guess it is possible that some dealers have old/defective stock. So just buy them from a reputable dealer, and make sure to test them thoroughly after you receive them. That way, you can have any problems taken care of right away.

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #33,100 of 63,796

i just ordered kz es4 off gearbest so i wanted to ask which tips should i get for best soundstage.
also i wanted to know how much does silver upgrade cable affect the sound quality
I just played normal music at listening level for a couple days for burn-in. The highs did seem to open up a bit after burned in. I tried a silver cable briefly and noticed no sonic changes. Switched back to the stock cable. Wide bore tips work best for me. KZ or Tennmak whirlwinds or any other wide bore tip you get a good fit with. I have a 2nd pair ( blue this time) coming in today. It will be interesting to see if sounds different ootb compared to the burned in pair or if it was just brain burn in. Hope this helps.

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #33,102 of 63,796
So did anyone have an issue with the stock tips of the ZS5 falling out? It happen more than once to have a tip stuck in my ear after using them, so I'd like to know about alternatives that don't impact the sound but stay better on the housing.
Slater came up with a great fix for this. Spray a bit of hairspray into the can's lid. Dip a qtip in the hairspray and apply it on the nozzle with no tip. Let it get tacky before you install the tip on the nozzle. Hope that helps.

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #33,103 of 63,796
Slater came up with a great fix for this. Spray a bit of hairspray into the can's lid. Dip a qtip in the hairspray and apply it on the nozzle with no tip. Let it get tacky before you install the tip on the nozzle. Hope that helps.

Thanks man I'm going to try this out rn :) Hopefully it fixes it

Jun 6, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #33,104 of 63,796
That`s pretty bold opinion. Makes me think I`ve "gone wrong" with IT01 and should have got ZS10. But... reading other impressions, seems that ppl still find IT01 superior over KZ top offerings (ZS10 also) and You seem to be in minority (not that it matters). All I can say from my part about IT01 is that it could have tad wider soundstage but layering, separation and transparency is top notch imho.
Wish I could compare ZS10 vs. IT01. But likely it wont happen as I got ES4 and dont plan to spend over 15$ anymore for chi-fi occasionally.
honestly that's the only area the zs10 wins in. All the rest go to the it01.
Also I`ve read impressions where IT01 is very closely compared to King Pro, though latter seems tad superior. But all depends on source gear, amping, personal hearing, tips etc. too.

I don't think my opinion is far outside the mainstream if at all. That's literally the one area the zs10 is better than the it01 in, and I feel in general is where the it01 is a little bit average.

Overall, the it01 is a better pair of IEMs.

Keep in mind I'm also comparing the zs10 with a balanced cable versus the it01 balanced as well, so that in itself may open up the staging a bit. If you're willing to put a lot of time and EQ testing into the zs10 they're very good, but are a little rough around the edges to start IMO. You can order the it01, open them and put them directly in your ears and they sound very good to start.

Jun 6, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #33,105 of 63,796
can someone send a link to kz whirlwind tips deal
i see them on aliexpress for 1.2$ without shipping for 3 pairs(L M S) which i think is pretty high

Users who are viewing this thread

Back