Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 9, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #32,086 of 63,834
I am sitting here wearing a purple Tshirt with a purple fleece over it (chilly in the house... about 62 F) using my purple mouse on my purple mousemat, drinking tea from a purple mug that sits on a purple silicone coaster with a purple chair mat under my feet. And, there is something else purple in this photo (taken from where I sit):

10092091.jpg

Well I think, your tea may be purple too.

Lol

May 9, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #32,089 of 63,834
I do wonder how wooden phones sound. I'd imagine that resonance would have play a huge factor in order to take advantage of the wood qualities. I've seen a few online but kinda thought that they might be a gimmick. But alas, I'm not as knowledgeable as you folks. Curious if some manufacturer went to the Alps and used a Spruce that is several hundred years old (lived through the little ice age). Would it sound better like a Stradivarius?
Bro.....there are two tones in nature and science.

Fundamental tone: sound coming from the source.
Overtone: wet, dry, cavity, and damping factor comes in play.

Dry factor is reflected signal from wall, without any change in phase(back of speaker, reflecting g it backl

Wet factor is reverb.

Cavity factor set the timing between the reverb and the volume of reverb.

Damp factor damps the tone certain frequency type, like mahagony sounds warm because it damps mids and treble, gaboon ebony sounds analytical because it damps everything making fundamental tone priority.

This all happens on the pore of wood. Now all wood have different arrangement of grains which lead to different shapes and sizes of micropore and normal pore.

These shape and sizes with those factor above change the sound.

Well open back wood headphone consider all factor except the wet factor because, there is nothing behind which get reflected. So no open headphones get affected that much by wood except grado as there way of tuning driver is very advanced

May 9, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #32,091 of 63,834
It had a nice spacious sound. Keep in mind they were new out of the box, no burn in and I listened mostly in the middle of the night so was choosing relaxing albums. I am not the one to ask about instrument placement, I have no idea. I am not a musician. I am not a sound engineer. I am simply a music lover and a person who gets too curious about new things.
Simple way of telling them

Listen to stax CD(space) for soundstage
Timing for instruments

Listen to all stax CD and tell them how it sounds

May 9, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #32,096 of 63,834
May 9, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #32,097 of 63,834
So my Zs10s came today.. i left it to burn for about 6hrs ( i do believe in DD Breaking) , as soon as i gave it a listen i was beyond disappointing :/ . it sounded very hollow and very artificial compared to my Zs5s, Ie80s , Westone 4s. i tried to mess with the eq an it didn't work to my favor either i ended up doing what i did for my IE80 ( adding a scotch tape piece over the two vents on each side). the mid bass bloat cleared up quite well.. i have to give it more ear time to tell y'all about how it sound with the tape and without . hope y'all can try this and give feedback too :)

May 9, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #32,098 of 63,834
So my Zs10s came today.. i left it to burn for about 6hrs ( i do believe in DD Breaking) , as soon as i gave it a listen i was beyond disappointing :/ . it sounded very hollow and very artificial compared to my Zs5s, Ie80s , Westone 4s. i tried to mess with the eq an it didn't work to my favor either i ended up doing what i did for my IE80 ( adding a scotch tape piece over the two vents on each side). the mid bass bloat cleared up quite well.. i have to give it more ear time to tell y'all about how it sound with the tape and without . hope y'all can try this and give feedback too :)
They don't sound hollow: check the cable connection/polarity and push them very very deep into your ear canal. Use the largest tips possible.

If there was something wrong, it would likely be only one of the earpieces. How to check this?
Use an earphone splitter, connect the ZS10 and another earphone, play a mono recording, and use one earpiece of each iem simultaneously. This will tell you...

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #32,099 of 63,834
I got some KZ ATE-S IEMs back in September.
Compared to my iLuv iEP322's, the KZ ATE-S IEMs have little volume, almost no bass, and they do not block ambient noise very well.
In other words, they aren't that great.
I'm glad I paid only $8.14 for them.
So disappointing.

May 9, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #32,100 of 63,834
I got some KZ ATE-S IEMs back in September.
Compared to my iLuv iEP322's, the KZ ATE-S IEMs have little volume, almost no bass, and they do not block ambient noise very well.
In other words, they aren't that great.
I'm glad I paid only $8.14 for them.
So disappointing.
Try bigger tips and push deeper into your ear canal. They are good iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back