Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 23, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #31,366 of 63,796
Hey another Arkansan!!

Actually an implant from Texas as of 1997, my punishment for moving here is both my boys are Hogs and that just slays this old Longhorn!

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #31,367 of 63,796
Just got my replacement red ZS6 from the ones I gave my buddy in Texas last month, still waiting on my Benjie S5 in the slate gray to arrive. Probably been sitting in a bin at the local post office for a couple weeks now since USPS has now decided to give China orders back seat service:rolling_eyes: Watching the news the other night and saw where orders and boxes upon boxes were just sitting in carts at the post office where the staff get to them when they get time!! Come on Benjie, I miss U:cry:

What are you using on the cable?

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #31,368 of 63,796
Apr 23, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #31,371 of 63,796
Why so much ZS10 hate? They sound very good out of the box and are easily the best KZ I've heard so far. Soundstage and fun factor beat the ZSR by a noticeable margin. The extra bass is easily EQ'ed out if desired.

Drop the 2kHZ peak a little bit and these are well rounded for the under $40 I got them for. Sounds great with metal.

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #31,372 of 63,796
Why so much ZS10 hate? They sound very good out of the box and are easily the best KZ I've heard so far. Soundstage and fun factor beat the ZSR by a noticeable margin. The extra bass is easily EQ'ed out if desired.

Drop the 2kHZ peak a little bit and these are well rounded for the under $40 I got them for. Sounds great with metal.

I don't see much hate, just people who were expecting too much or too hyped. Also, hybrids are picky about the source due to output impedance, sometimes it's about synergy you're getting, sometimes it's just personal taste, bad fitting, bad QC... So if you happy with the sound that's what matters.the most.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #31,373 of 63,796
I don't see much hate, just people who were expecting too much or too hyped. Also, hybrids are picky about the source due to output impedance, sometimes it's about synergy you're getting, sometimes it's just personal taste, bad fitting, bad QC... So if you happy with the sound that's what matters.the most.
I also don't see any "hate". It depends whether you see the glass half full or half empty. Some are fascinated by the progress over previous models whereas others had higher expectations from 10 drivers. Overall, the opinions are positive - and when some people have lukewarm comments on partial aspects, that's not hate.

Again - increasing output impedance does not alter the FR curve of the ZS10 in the bass and mids fields and reduces treble (from impedance measurements). It is a well-behaved multidriver in terms of impedance.

Let's see how many will make the ZS10 their daily drivers and who is putting them into the drawer - that's the true test.

Impedance_ZS10_ZS5_ZSR-2.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #31,374 of 63,796
The original ZS5 v1 didn't have a crossover. I believe that there's a simple single R/C network in the v2 and ZS6. That's a low or high pass filter, ie it would limit the dynamic drivers from playing highs and possibly mids depending on the values of the components or the BA from playing lows. I'm not convinced that there's any limitations on the range of the BA in them just because of how strong the highs are and I'm thinking its just to limit the DD. It'd be easy enough to calculate the frequency if you know the value of the components. Plug in the values into both the low and high pass filter calculations and see which value makes sense. The ZS10 has a circuit board although again all I've noticed on it was capacitors and resistors. But there's enough to imply that the upper range units are cut off from playing lower range etc. The mid BA can get both a low and high pass filter, etc. In other words finally a fully realized crossover.

All this is just my opinion. I'm too lazy to break open my KZ products to get the necessary values and trace the wiring to see which, if any, filters are wired to which drivers.

See my earlier post where I quote from an external KZ ZS6 mod:

"There is an appx. 7.5 Ohm series resistor on the 6.4mm "midrange" Driver, no crossover whatsoever on the 10mm "Woofer" and a appx. 1uF series capacitor for the dual BA "Tweeter" which is paralleled."

"After comparing the curves to the latest Olive/Welti target for headphones I decided to add an 18 Ohm resistor in series with the 1uF capacitor which constitutes the "crossover" of the high frequency drivers."​

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #31,375 of 63,796
people that fall victim to hype multiple times deserves it, honestly. Once, sure, but once you find that a "reviewer" that keeps hyping up stuff and then it crashes, better just take anything they say in the future with a bucketful of salt. As people have said multiple times, find a reviewer that resonates with what you prefer and see what he says of it

compare against pricier models? literally the post before you compared a $300 against the likes of Xelento and Lyra II (which I kinda liked, that damn low-end), so its not a KZ-exclusive problem

not sure if I don't spend enough time here to see what hype goes on when new models are announced/released, but all throughout the ZS10 announcement-release-first impression, all I've seen is a just "ok/it depends". It might be the case with ZS5/ZS6, though I wouldn't know. Things change, which is good.

People who buy stuff sight-unseen is gonna do it regardless (their money, they can do what they want with it)

Pricing-wise, if they're gonna price new models to compete with better offerings, too bad then. The problem is people rushing to buy the ZS10 even when it was 60 bux, which is absurd for KZ. We've seen the rate of improvement they're capable of and no way their next model was worth that. Its a catch-22 of needing people to buy stuff so they can improve on things but needing to get good products out so people actually buy it. Not that there's many truly horrible KZ product at each price point (ED12, we'll just pretend those don't exist), point is that KZ saw the chance to grab the mainstream with cramming multiple drivers on an IEM and ran with it.

tbh, commenting about issues like this in head-fi feels like preaching to the choir. But maybe there are people who looked around for info on a new model and stumbled here, so this one's for them.
There's a difference between hype and true comparison though. Read the reviews of the Oriveti New Primacy myself and other few reviewers have compared the NP to other iems double or triple the price. Yes it's that good haha. Like the Earnine En120. You get best bang for the buck :). Luckily the New Primacy is one of those iems, been out for a while now but unfortunately not many people know about it yet. It's a diamond hidden in so many gems.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #31,379 of 63,796
See my earlier post where I quote from an external KZ ZS6 mod:

"There is an appx. 7.5 Ohm series resistor on the 6.4mm "midrange" Driver, no crossover whatsoever on the 10mm "Woofer" and a appx. 1uF series capacitor for the dual BA "Tweeter" which is paralleled."

"After comparing the curves to the latest Olive/Welti target for headphones I decided to add an 18 Ohm resistor in series with the 1uF capacitor which constitutes the "crossover" of the high frequency drivers."​
That's helpful. My back of the envelope calculation says that the "midrange" driver will be 6 or 7 dB down, as in quieter, compared to the other speakers. The 1μF puts the high pass value at 2 kHz for a 64 ohm speaker or 500 Hz for 16 or 250 for 8 but I have no idea of the inductance of a BA outside its designed frequency range. But it shows that there isn't much crossover design behind the ZS6 which was my primary point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back