Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 3, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #28,771 of 63,834
I'm pretty sure this has already been covered here, but wow I just found out about KZ's newest 10 models:

KZ-ZS4-KZ-YZ66-KZ-YZ63-KZ-YZ49-KZ-YZ46-KZ-YZ41-KZ-YZ40-KZ-YZ39-KZ-YZ35-KZYZ34.jpg

Honestly so excited when they release, I wonder how they all sound, and if it's a step above their current offerings.

Mar 3, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #28,773 of 63,834
Has anyone managed to remove the tacky cursive writing from the ZSR's housing? I've tried both 91% isopropyl alcohol and nail polish remover but to no avail.
If there's one thing that's really bugging me about KZ's newest releases, it's the weird scribbles they plaster on otherwise pretty designs.

Mar 3, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #28,774 of 63,834
Has anyone managed to remove the tacky cursive writing from the ZSR's housing? I've tried both 91% isopropyl alcohol and nail polish remover but to no avail.
If there's one thing that's really bugging me about KZ's newest releases, it's the weird scribbles they plaster on otherwise pretty designs.
I went so far as to use the set of sanding / polishing sponges I have (1200 to 9600 grit) to see if I could remove the writing on the ZSR and it didn't work. I'm guessing that the writing is either embedded in the shell meaning inside because the shells may be made from multiple layers of whatever material they use or on the inside of the shell, although I don't think that's the case.

Mar 3, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #28,775 of 63,834
I do not argue about it, it seems to be logical, but on a couple of russian music web-pages I saw information that balanced connection can cause a bass loose. Maybe it's true if it made not properly?

Balanced is for massive long cable runs, live pa's, studio's etc, i believe it was to combat latency and having wierd echo sounds. I could be wrong, i wonder how much difference it has on these baby cables.

Another thing that comes to mind is with those setups they can use ime alignment snd balanced alorithm to hone the sound, there's also more activity going on in the hardware, the clocks and data on the line, not something i would have thought audiophiles would be foaming about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 4, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #28,777 of 63,834
Definitely appreciate the compliments from everyone.

Indeed, lipless nozzles are infuriating. I think we should be more vocal about it here or via KZ's new "qq" email thingy. I think it started with ED7 (maybe earlier, I forget) but it's purely poor design choice.
I use 3.5mm - 4.0mm eartip collars on the nozzles. My whirlwind tips slide past the the mesh like they've got somewhere to go, somewhere to be. I thought about using Teflon tape. It doesn't help that the nozzles are like telephone poles either. Folks with small ears might experience discomfort, but it depends on how small the aperture of their ear is. I'll have to check the specs for the nozzle width and insert that info into the review.

Recently I decided to place a black rubber o-ring over the ZSR nozzle to space the whirlwind tips out further.
instead of flush or near flush, the mesh is now recessed about 1mm.
I found that the fit and sq was improved.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #28,778 of 63,834
I hope that the YZ49 uses the exact same drivers as the ED9, just with an extra BA, because the ED9 has the best V-shaped sound I've ever heard.

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #28,779 of 63,834
I received two pairs of EDR2 in their classic dark cardboard box last week (gearbest). They sound identical and like the pair from mid 2017. Looking at the outdated appearing packaging including tips from before the "starline" generation, I speculate these EDR2 are all old stock.

Will submit two of them for measurements tonight (nylon vs. metal mesh).

i am currently listening to my edr2. Being my first non-hybrid KZ, I think I have been way behind. I like the shape, and weight a lot

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #28,780 of 63,834
guys I need a cheap good portable dac/amp for my phone .... right now I think of fiio q1 first generation because its cheap... is it any good? .. can anyone think give me some advice what to get?
if you only need a simple and very portable dac/amp, i've tried smsl idea (= sabaj d2) and like it very much. it gets a bit hot and some people find buzz when using some phones (easily fixable though), but the clean (very low noise and distortion) and transparent sound, and low output impedance, compensate any small cons.
you can find detailed measurements here (and workarounds in comments): https://archimago.blogspot.com.es/2017/05/measurements-smsl-idea-usb-dac.html
check it to see if power is enough for your needs.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #28,782 of 63,834
You could try denaturated spirit, make paper "wet" with it and wrap in food-plastic for a while. Furniture restorators use this method to remove laquer and stain from wood.

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #28,783 of 63,834
Recently I decided to place a black rubber o-ring over the ZSR nozzle to space the whirlwind tips out further.
instead of flush or near flush, the mesh is now recessed about 1mm.
I found that the fit and sq was improved.
I've done similarly. Since the small size ear tips are always way too small for me I use them to make my spacers. I turn the tip inside out and cut off the part that goes over the nozzle. I then cut that in halves or thirds depending on how much spacing I think I need. Put it on the nozzle first and then the actual ear tip I want to use.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #28,784 of 63,834

How long did you let it sit on for?

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #28,785 of 63,834
I've done similarly. Since the small size ear tips are always way too small for me I use them to make my spacers.

I forgot about your OP on this subject. Kudos go to you.
Same as you, I have many unused silicone tips.
I'm going to use that. (I just happened upon O-Rings at work)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back