Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 2, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #28,756 of 63,834
Nice review. Reading it reminded me of a pet peeve with the latest KZ offerings. What's with the lipless nozzle design? Doesn't KZ realize just how infuriating it is to lose ear tips left behind in your ear canal? Especially when its solely because of a poor design?

Great review of the ZSR, + vs ZS6, Thanks !
Definitely appreciate the compliments from everyone.

Indeed, lipless nozzles are infuriating. I think we should be more vocal about it here or via KZ's new "qq" email thingy. I think it started with ED7 (maybe earlier, I forget) but it's purely poor design choice.
I use 3.5mm - 4.0mm eartip collars on the nozzles. My whirlwind tips slide past the the mesh like they've got somewhere to go, somewhere to be. I thought about using Teflon tape. It doesn't help that the nozzles are like telephone poles either. Folks with small ears might experience discomfort, but it depends on how small the aperture of their ear is. I'll have to check the specs for the nozzle width and insert that info into the review.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #28,757 of 63,834
Definitely appreciate the compliments from everyone.

Indeed, lipless nozzles are infuriating. I think we should be more vocal about it here or via KZ's new "qq" email thingy. I think it started with ED7 (maybe earlier, I forget) but it's purely poor design choice.
I use 3.5mm - 4.0mm eartip collars on the nozzles. My whirlwind tips slide past the the mesh like they've got somewhere to go, somewhere to be. I thought about using Teflon tape. It doesn't help that the nozzles are like telephone poles either. Folks with small ears might experience discomfort, but it depends on how small the aperture of their ear is. I'll have to check the specs for the nozzle width and insert that info into the review.

With the ZS5/6 it's definitely annoying and could have been avoided, but with the ZSR I don't really think they could have added a proper nozzle lip without it creating major fit issues for a lot of users. That nozzle is 6mm across, the same width as the nozzles of most tip-mounted micro-driver earphones. They would have to do something like this to make wearing the earphone feasible for normal ears. I'm not sure how well something like that would work with the BA's shoved in there. Certainly a pain in the buttocks regardless.

20170519_172257_HDR.jpg

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #28,758 of 63,834
With the ZS5/6 it's definitely annoying and could have been avoided, but with the ZSR I don't really think they could have added a proper nozzle lip without it creating major fit issues for a lot of users. That nozzle is 6mm across, the same width as the nozzles of most tip-mounted micro-driver earphones. They would have to do something like this to make wearing the earphone feasible for normal ears. I'm not sure how well something like that would work with the BA's shoved in there. Certainly a pain in the buttocks regardless.

Yeah, that looks like it might restrict the BA's. Not a good idea.

Good looking out.

I just fitted the ZSR with the DM5 wide-bores and they seem to have a snug fit.

Problem solved.........for me.

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #28,759 of 63,834
Yeah, that looks like it might restrict the BA's. Not a good idea.

Good looking out.

I just fitted the ZSR with the DM5 wide-bores and they seem to have a snug fit.

Problem solved.........for me.
If you run into problems in the future, I suggest taking some coarse sandpaper to the outside of the nozzle, just enough to scuff up the shiny finish. This could (possibly) give the tips some more grip on the nozzle, especially if covered with oils from the skin.

Mar 2, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #28,760 of 63,834
If you run into problems in the future, I suggest taking some coarse sandpaper to the outside of the nozzle, just enough to scuff up the shiny finish. This could (possibly) give the tips some more grip on the nozzle, especially if covered with oils from the skin.

I'm a bit OCD with my IEMs so the teflon tape would be the way to go for me. It's a collector kind of thing, but thanks for the input.

Mar 2, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #28,761 of 63,834
I'm a bit OCD with my IEMs so the teflon tape would be the way to go for me. It's a collector kind of thing, but thanks for the input.
Yeah, I go by the "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread" philosophy... I modded my one example of a ZS5 v.1 to make it more comfortable. Still sounds awesome, but the side that faces the ear sure is ugly!

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #28,763 of 63,834
Thanks for posting this, I Snagged some mediums.

@bsoplinger Thanks from me too. I also got some mediums. They would not post to the UK so they will be shipped to a family member in the USA who is visiting me in May. Hopefully they will arrive on time!

I thought it was really strange that they would not ship to here.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #28,765 of 63,834
Guys, i was going to get the ZS6, should i wait for the new ones? Would anyone one of those be better than the zs6? Also, will the cable for the zs6 work on those? I ordered one but it hasn't been shipped yet.

reviews of the zs6 are around. There is no reviews on the current line up, so far...I also don't know if they've announced a release date so who knows how long you will be waiting, maybe someone in here knows..

Will they be better than the zs6? The sales might not be so great if there's no improvement, but if zs6 is discontinued, no choice... it's anyones guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 3, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #28,766 of 63,834
Can anyone give info about KZ ate is it a good iem in terms of mids vocals soundstage??? Is it better then edr2?
ATE is better in soundstage but about EDR2 vocals one can argue latter being more "intimate" and prominent vocals (but noticeably more congested soundstage).
ATE is no slouch in mids though, they are very good but different presentation (more distant/further away vocals). I personally like ATE more in every aspect.
But this is all with MY gear&ear and let me remind You that EDR2 that I had could sound different than others have here due to KZ poor QC and consistency.
Though, I have had lot of ATE`s and so far latter ones (3 pairs, ~month old) are same sounding and very good (5th gen).
I do not argue about it, it seems to be logical, but on a couple of russian music web-pages I saw information that balanced connection can cause a bass loose. Maybe it's true if it made not properly?
In theory it can make bass looser IF, as said before, there are not enough power to drive separate channels. But usually modern DAPs etc. are thought out quite well
and should provide required power for most IEMs run in balanced but it depends,of course, lot about IEMs being used.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #28,769 of 63,834
guys I need a cheap good portable dac/amp for my phone .... right now I think of fiio q1 first generation because its cheap... is it any good? .. can anyone think give me some advice what to get?
The Fiio has a non-replaceable, consumable battery: your amp will be waste in 3-5 years. I use the audioquest dragonfly dac/amp that draws energy from the phone and will live for much longer. It also works with the computer. And yes, it sounds great.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #28,770 of 63,834
...and let me remind You that EDR2 that I had could sound different than others have here due to KZ poor QC and consistency.

I received two pairs of EDR2 in their classic dark cardboard box last week (gearbest). They sound identical and like the pair from mid 2017. Looking at the outdated appearing packaging including tips from before the "starline" generation, I speculate these EDR2 are all old stock.

Will submit two of them for measurements tonight (nylon vs. metal mesh).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back