Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 22, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #28,426 of 63,802
So zs6 are better after all..

To some. But to others (especially those that are treble sensitive), they are too piercing and the ZSR is 'better'.

So as with most things, we all hear things differently, and thus have different likes/dislikes. No one knows what's better for you than you yourself. That's why the best thing you could possibly do is get both the ZSR and ZS6 and decide which one you like best. That's the only way to really know for sure.

There's people that LOVE the KZ ZS5 v1, and those that HATE it. Same goes for the MEMT X5. And the KZ ED9. And so on and so forth.

Also, very few people have heard the ZS6 v2 (if it indeed exists). Those that have claim they are a major step up from the original ZS6. So that has to be taken into consideration when people are comparing the ZS6 to other IEMs (ie which ZS6? and have they heard both ZS6? and would they like one ZS6 more than the other ZS6?).

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #28,427 of 63,802
To some. But to others (especially those that are treble sensitive), they are too piercing and the ZSR is 'better'.

So as with most things, we all hear things differently, and thus have different likes/dislikes. No one knows what's better for you than you yourself. That's why the best thing you could possibly do is get both the ZSR and ZS6 and decide which one you like best. That's the only way to really know for sure.

There's people that LOVE the KZ ZS5 v1, and those that HATE it. Same goes for the MEMT X5. And the KZ ED9. And so on and so forth.

Also, very few people have heard the ZS6 v2 (if it indeed exists). Those that have claim they are a major step up from the original ZS6. So that has to be taken into consideration when people are comparing the ZS6 to other IEMs (ie which ZS6? and have they heard both ZS6? and would they like one ZS6 more than the other ZS6?).

I have ordered kz zs6 hope I get v2

Feb 22, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #28,428 of 63,802
Try removing in ear canal combing effect by adding ostry 200 tips on ZSR and see how it blows zs6 away.

Well our ear is like reverse horn, magnifying some weird mids and treble frequency(ear are optimised for well tuned speakers in a room.)

Kz zs6 9khz peak cannot be tweaked by ostry 200 teeth response correction, teeth means specific dips created looking like saw teeth, but zsr peak lies in 5 to 7khz which can be tweaked easily....plus some Random 2 to 4khz peak created by our ear is fixed too.

Some elevation of bass response.......without loosing tightness.

It will sound way bigger, deeper

Its a guarantee

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #28,429 of 63,802
Try removing in ear canal combing effect by adding ostry 200 tips on ZSR and see how it blows zs6 away.

Well our ear is like reverse horn, magnifying some weird mids and treble frequency(ear are optimised for well tuned speakers in a room.)

Kz zs6 9khz peak cannot be tweaked by ostry 200 teeth response correction, teeth means specific dips created looking like saw teeth, but zsr peak lies in 5 to 7khz which can be tweaked easily....plus some Random 2 to 4khz peak created by our ear is fixed too.

Some elevation of bass response.......without loosing tightness.

It will sound way bigger, deeper

Its a guarantee

Okay, I've read the Ostry ad copy before; maybe you can explain these "dental correction" and "tooth" references? I'm thinking Google Translate has failed once again lol.

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #28,430 of 63,802
The ability to own both the ZSR and the ZS6 (including upgrade cables) for less than $100 total speaks volumes.

A word on the ZSR's/ZS5's etc. cables: absolutely nothing wrong with them. Nada. Zilch. They sound as good as it gets. And they are free. The silver "upgrade" cables [where is the upgrade?] have been downgrades in my case as they took away volume (higher impedance) and the useful remote.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #28,432 of 63,802
Its like DeQ the IEM signature and makes peaky mountain to hilly range, flatter and consistent plus specific saw shape dental correction is dipping a specific frequency to correct our ear combing.

Well the first effect is good, second effect ain't that well because every ear is different.

But 200 effect is not that like 300, so it sounds very good.

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #28,433 of 63,802
Its like DeQ the IEM signature and makes peaky mountain to hilly range, flatter and consistent plus specific saw shape dental correction is dipping a specific frequency to correct our ear combing.

Well the first effect is good, second effect ain't that well because every ear is different.

But 200 effect is not that like 300, so it sounds very good.

Okay, cool. Thanks for that info. I thought that might be what they were alluding to.

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #28,434 of 63,802
A word on the ZSR's/ZS5's etc. cables: absolutely nothing wrong with them. Nada. Zilch. They sound as good as it gets. And they are free. The silver "upgrade" cables [where is the upgrade?] have been downgrades in my case as they took away volume (higher impedance) and the useful remote.

The difference is ZERO MICROPHONICS.

I agree that the stock cables are fine, but they are rubbery and microphonic. There is nothing more annoying than hearing every body movement and footstep come through your IEM when you're listening to your jam. I'll take the cable with zero microphonics every time and twice on Sunday.

Now, some may ask "why doesn't KZ include the upgrade cable with the IEM? Why give us the inferior cable?"

The answer is that some feel that there is "absolutely nothing wrong with them. Nada. Zilch. They sound as good as it gets. And they are free."

To each his own, but I hate microphonics. For some, it's not an issue, but I refuse to live with it given the choice. I'll gladly shell out $8 -$10 to filter out footsteps, clothes-rubbing and wind intrusion.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #28,436 of 63,802
The difference is ZERO MICROPHONICS.
Fair enough and a good point! I didn't know the rubber cables had microphonics. Maybe I should get out more, move more, or not use a clip. But then I would appreciate the missing remote. :)

But how did you know that the braided silver cables don't have microphonics. Is it the braiding? Or simply the reports by others?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #28,437 of 63,802
Fair enough and a good point! I didn't know the rubber cables had microphonics. Maybe I should get out more, move more, or not use a clip. But then I would appreciate the missing remote. :)

But how did you know that the braided silver cables don't have microphonics. Is it the braiding? Or simply the reports by others?

Way back when KZ first released the ZS3 (their first detachable in their new crop of IEMs) I figured it out by mistake.

An excerpt from my original review :
I purchased these upgraded cables for two reasons.

1) I think these look much nicer than the excellent stock cables. It's just a way to accessorize my favorite IEMs.
2) I wanted to determine for myself whether or not there is a difference in sound quality due to upgrading the cables. I tend to be quite skeptical when it comes to audio equipment upgrade claims because the world of mid-fi and hi-fi audio equipment is littered with unproven claims by manufacturers and willing victims or gullible consumers who take the bait for one reason or another. I could elaborate, but most of you reading this get my point so let's get to the review......

*** Update January 30, 2017 ***

I didn't notice this earlier, but it turns out that a top reason to pick up these upgraded cables is because THERE ARE ZERO MICROPHONICS. The stock cables, while durable and made well, are microphonics city. I didn't figure this out until I got these upgraded cables tangled with cables of an IEM I had in my ears. I was switching from one IEM to another and both were plugged into the splitter that was plugged into my DAP. When I decided to swap IEMs, the cable of the pair I was about to remove got tangled with these upgraded cables and the microphonics were very unpleasant while trying to undo the tangling. So much so, that I just pulled the first set of IEMs out of my ears and put the ZS3s with the upgraded cables in an proceeded to untangle the two different cables. When I did this THERE WAS ZERO NOISE....ZERO!

Could it be possible? I then rubbed these all over my clothes and everything else I could find.....and.....LORDY BE.....NO MICROPHONICS!

This should be a runner or gym-goers dream.

I think $8 is money well spent for reasons I haven't even anticipated.

61cFA5Qe8GL._SL1600_.jpg
61J7lNkj9JL._SL1600_.jpg
61HE197vXzL._SL1600_.jpg

The stock cables won't turn green like the white cables will but the lack of microphonics is worth the periodic $8 expenditure. You could always get the bronze cable if you're concerned about discoloration. Just received mine today so I don't have a pic yet, but here is a pic of someone's ZS6 with said bronze cable.
IlS3TUA.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #28,438 of 63,802
Does anyone have the UiiSii CM5? Could you compare it to KZ ZS6 and TIN T2? thank you.

I think quite a few of us have the CM5 now. I myself have the CM5 and ZS6 so I can try to help you with that part.

Firstly, sound signature of both are pretty different. CM5 sounds like taking a front row seat while ZS6 would be seating further behind.

Soundstage size is very similar for both. For bass, CM5 resonates more while ZS6 is quick and tight. CM5 does have a stronger and thicker bass compared to ZS6. However, it does not overpower the other frequencies.

Treble is smoother on the CM5 but resolution is more detailed on ZS6 where the details are there in plain hearing. Micro details are there on CM5 as well but you need to listen out for them.

For me, I like them equally because of the different presentations they provide. Ear time depends on my choice of music and mood of that day. It's more of which presentation you prefer. Emotional vs more analytical or warmer vs cooler.

This is my personal quick answer based on stock provided tips in the box when I bought them.
Music through subscribed Spotify (extreme quality) over a Note 8 (Exynos).
Music genres range from classical, alternative, jazz, hip-hop, pop and EDM.

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #28,439 of 63,802

Users who are viewing this thread

Back