Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 6, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #27,871 of 63,786
No greenish hue. How long have you had it?

Another one I'm interested in is this one.

No problems and it's been used over 6 months now and still looks day one new. I'm pretty sure the same builder is doing your yellow/gold one. By chance are these both coming from he who shall not be mentioned:no_mouth:

I'm cautious of that wrap Doc, it's just like the tri-braid material, I think the silver you posted like the ones on my PX are a much better wrap:wink:

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #27,872 of 63,786
It has been done and shared by @Slater few pages back I guess (thanks to him).. I've done both the as shown in the photos.. foams on the BA driver's nozzle and the shell's nozzle as well just behind the cover mesh…
I must have misread @Slater 's post as I saw those as an either or option. You say you like the sound best after applying both mods, correct?

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #27,873 of 63,786
No problems and it's been used over 6 months now and still looks day one new. I'm pretty sure the same builder is doing your yellow/gold one. By chance are these both coming from he who shall not be mentioned:no_mouth:

Indeed they are.

2+ years of care free. .....uhhhhh nevermind.

6 months and still looks new? I think I'll get several. Every silver coated copper I have is green unless I haven't used it. I think once you start using it the cable movement allows air to permeate the pores and oxidation begins. Most of my cables are green where the cable has been bending and twisting.

One more track to enjoy as we meander about the thread.

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #27,874 of 63,786
Well…

I feel obligated to toss some from my favorite artist. Always amazed at the women vocalists he gets to appear. Always different, always enjoyable.

Perhaps his signature song, although this is an updated version.

The whole album, one of my favorites. Amazing how many different styles are in this hour long fight with the record label opus. If you aren't happy with what you're hearing just jump 2 or 3 minutes. It'll be different.

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #27,876 of 63,786
Could anybody (having the three of them) compare ZS5, 6 and ZSR in details? My most interest is in the bass.

I have the ZS6 and ZS5(i), but no ZSR yet.

It may be difficult to nail down your request because there is a ZS5(i), ZS5(ii) and perhaps even a ZS5(iii) on the way and all three will sound different.

I can tell you that the ZS6 bass is much cleaner than the ZS5 (i) bass and the mids are more forward. I can also tell you that the ZSR has the same 10mm DD that the ES3 has which goes very deep but has a slower decay than the ZS6 bass. The ES3 bass can definitely qualify as basshead if you EQ in more bass so I expect the same from the ZSR.

Hope this was helpful.
61VdGovhzLL._SL1500_.jpg

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #27,878 of 63,786
I must have misread @Slater 's post as I saw those as an either or option. You say you like the sound best after applying both mods, correct?

Yeah I also thought of either initially as doing both (BA nozzle and shell's nozzle as well) might be an overkill but it turned out better sounding for my taste. I loved how the stock zst sounds but the modded ones are even better. Foaming the BA tamed the highs and foam on the shell's nozzle increase the bass quantity without making the mids sounds muffled. But it boils downs to personal preference though. You can do either or both based on what you love to hear. It just turns out that I prefer doing both. :)

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #27,879 of 63,786
After we received a few reports, we've gone through and moderated a number of posts in the thread. There are some brands that are banned on Head-Fi due to their past practices. ****/**** and sibling brands have come up a number of times recently, and we've edited or removed references to them and their brands. We appreciate future posts refraining from linking to or mentioning these products. We prefer not to moderate when possible, so thanks everyone for helping us keep the discussion flowing smoothly.

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #27,880 of 63,786
I have the ZS6 and ZS5(i), but no ZSR yet.

It may be difficult to nail down your request because there is a ZS5(i), ZS5(ii) and perhaps even a ZS5(iii) on the way and all three will sound different.

I can tell you that the ZS6 bass is much cleaner than the ZS5 (i) bass and the mids are more forward. I can also tell you that the ZSR has the same 10mm DD that the ES3 has which goes very deep but has a slower decay than the ZS6 bass. The ES3 bass can definitely qualify as basshead if you EQ in more bass so I expect the same from the ZSR.

Hope this was helpful.

Where does the Zs5 ii fit in? I heard soundstage was better than Zs6.

Feb 6, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #27,881 of 63,786
After we received a few reports, we've gone through and moderated a number of posts in the thread. There are some brands that are banned on Head-Fi due to their past practices. ****/**** and sibling brands have come up a number of times recently, and we've edited or removed references to them and their brands. We appreciate future posts refraining from linking to or mentioning these products. We prefer not to moderate when possible, so thanks everyone for helping us keep the discussion flowing smoothly.

Thanks for the link. Wasn't aware **** was a no go and part of the Febreasy group.

Feb 6, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #27,882 of 63,786

Thank you for the clarification.

My sincere apologies.

Lesson learned.

Feb 6, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #27,883 of 63,786
Yup, swapping the red filter with a stainless one is as important on the ZS3 as removing the foam.

The people doing the foam mod but leaving the crappy red mesh are short changing themselves. Just doing one without the other is like eating a peanut butter (only) sandwich or a jam (only) sandwich.

I'd rather have a peanut butter AND jam sandwich!
I find peanut butter and jam too sibilant. I prefer to mod mine to peanut butter and sharp cheddar...:ksc75smile:

Feb 6, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #27,885 of 63,786
Where does the Zs5 ii fit in? I heard soundstage was better than Zs6.

I'll leave that to someone who owns the ZS5(ii) and the ZS6(i). I don't know how the soundstage was effected by relocating one of the ZS5's BAs.

I can tell you that in my ZS6(i) the soundstage is quite wide but psycho-acoustics, I think, alters soundstage perception because the vocals are more forward. It's not necessarily a mid-centric IEM because the lows and highs have a lot of presence. In my ZS6(i), the vocalist is clearly standing a few feet in front of the entire ensemble almost as if the vocalist is looking at you and reaching for your hand as he/she croons or unleashes their fury.

These two songs are a good example. Pay particular attention to the vocalists position in your minds eye.

In my ZS5(i) the vocalist is sometimes standing in the midst of the band and sometimes just a few feet behind the band. My own opinion is that the soundstage is actually the same but psycho-acoustics plays on how you hear and interpret that soundstage based on where your attention is directed.

Just one man's opinion. These are well worth the money I paid....and then some.

61M8hyQI-GL-1.jpg

Even still, I'll be getting a ZS6(ii) as well. Maybe more than one if they offer a new color.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back