Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 5, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #27,842 of 63,672
Least not to the naked eye but I concur that is a sweet cable especially if you perform the ear wire surgery:wink: It's also a little longer than most (or my pair is) and I like it:grinning:

I know what you mean!

IMG_20180205_163405.jpg

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #27,843 of 63,672
I know what you mean!

Nice Mellow, lookd good on the ZS3. Any change in sound with the SP cable? I'm so lazy I could just take mine off my ZS6 and put it on my 3:rolling_eyes: Guess I wanted to see what t you thought before trying!

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #27,844 of 63,672
Nice Mellow, lookd good on the ZS3. Any change in sound with the SP cable? I'm so lazy I could just take mine off my ZS6 and put it on my 3:rolling_eyes: Guess I wanted to see what t you thought before trying!
Hey Pods, thanks. I think this cable looks good in every IEM. As for the sound, I believe it is better than the stock cable (but could be the "optical illusion")... It's not nearly as rubbery and sticky, goes around the ear well, very comfy and has a great length.
What really did a great difference was the steel mesh instead of the red nylon one. Bass is tamed, and the ZS3 just went up on my preference list. The soundstage is unbelievable for such a cheapo IEM...
And the overall comfort is just another reason I've been sporting these much more frequently than the ZS5 mkI (also with the grey wonder cable)!

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #27,845 of 63,672
I've got them same question as Wiljen, did they move a BA or did they change to one being more Mid-Centric?
Take the tips off and take a flashlight and see if you can see both BAs in the nozzle or only a single BA. They should appear as a small ring in the nozzle. Pretty easy way to determine if they've moved a BA back into the body.

I've got them same question as Wiljen, did they move a BA or did they change to one being more Mid-Centric?
At work will post later if I have time.

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #27,846 of 63,672
Sounds interesting, I have treble cannon ZS6 which are so bright I could put on a battleship. I will wait for more feedback with the grey ZS6's and then maybe order some.
Even with 1 BA glued shut and foam tips they are still too sibilant for me.
Close to perfect for me would be zs6 bass and mids, more balanced highs and the phenomenal soundstage of the zs5.

Feb 5, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #27,847 of 63,672
Hey Pods, thanks. I think this cable looks good in every IEM. As for the sound, I believe it is better than the stock cable (but could be the "optical illusion")... It's not nearly as rubbery and sticky, goes around the ear well, very comfy and has a great length.
What really did a great difference was the steel mesh instead of the red nylon one. Bass is tamed, and the ZS3 just went up on my preference list. The soundstage is unbelievable for such a cheapo IEM...
And the overall comfort is just another reason I've been sporting these much more frequently than the ZS5 mkI (also with the grey wonder cable)!

Yeah, I like how supple this cable is and the wire cut out it lays nicely over my ears. I'm really going to be mad if these tri-braid cables oxidize and turn greem like those first after market ones (The dang Silver TFZ cables did the same thing one my S1S)!

If I would have known these white cables would turn I would have bought more of these.

Gotcha @mrmoto050 , will check back later:beerchug:

Feb 5, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #27,848 of 63,672
Well, you can look at it this way… that $50 gets you halfway to buying the iBasso IT01.
Actually they're $36 USD ($49 SGD) so about a third of the way...

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #27,849 of 63,672

Yup, swapping the red filter with a stainless one is as important on the ZS3 as removing the foam.

The people doing the foam mod but leaving the crappy red mesh are short changing themselves. Just doing one without the other is like eating a peanut butter (only) sandwich or a jam (only) sandwich.

I'd rather have a peanut butter AND jam sandwich!

Feb 5, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #27,850 of 63,672
Close to perfect for me would be zs6 bass and mids, more balanced highs and the phenomenal soundstage of the zs5.

That's very very close to describing the ZSR...

Feb 5, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #27,851 of 63,672
Well, you can look at it this way… that $50 gets you halfway to buying the iBasso IT01. And if you feel yourself weakening, there's a whole thread here dedicated to those, just read it to keep yourself strong :muscle:

PS: I own a pair and really like them. Warning though, took about 200 hours of burn in to get the mids to move forward from their out of the box recessed sound. They sound nice when new, even better once you get those hours in.

Thanks for recommendation. I actually like rather laid-back/distant (but not recessed) mids like ZS5v1. I don`t like very foward (inside Your headstage) mids (like LZ A2S for example) and bass/midbass "bloom", softness and leaking into mids is not what I want (that`s what I read out of reviews).
IT01 seems to be more what I`m looking for :wink:

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #27,852 of 63,672
HTB1DhSfnxrI8KJjy0Fpq6z5hVXaR.jpg

And when the stock has cleared of the ZS6(i) then I'll be ordering those pewter ZS6(ii) and this $27 cable. Should be a great combination.

$27 **** 2-pin 7N 3.5mm ZS5 ZS6.jpg
10059302.jpg

Currently listening to the ES3's and that bass is addictive. Check it with this track. It's just BOOMMMMMmmmmmm..... boommm.. BOOMMMMmmmmm

Or better yet....
Un....freakin....believable!

If you look you can see the Ferry Building all the way down Market Street (way back then).

Attachments

• 20180112_133743.jpg
    20180112_133743.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 6, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #27,854 of 63,672
This is an all too common issue with the KZ 2-pin models, and is usually caused by accidentally plugging in the cable backwards. The plug will technically "fit" when plugged in backwards, but the only thing holding it in is the friction of the pins (allowing it to separate & fall apart at any time). Plugging one side in backwards will also cause that side to be out of phase.

When both plugs are oriented properly and seated fully, it takes an incredible amount of force to unplug them. There is a tight mechanical fitment due to the plug's shape - curved on one end and flat on the other - and it's designed to fit like a key in a lock.

They fit so tightly together that they'd easily get pulled out of the ears before the plugs would get detached from the IEM itself (like if riding a bike and the cable gets caught on a tree for example).

Not sure if that's what happened to yours, but if so don't feel bad because it's happened to others.

I've included the following photo (replacing my previous crude drawing LOL), so hopefully people can double check their ZS3/ZST/ZS5/ZS6/ZSR/ES3/ED12 connections to make sure they're correctly oriented.

Thank you so much for this clarification. I accidentally bumped in to your post but I've been searching for an answer like this all night yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back