Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 2, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #27,796 of 63,796
So are you saying that the bottom line is that there's no ZS5 v3 after all?

Not completely sure whether there is a v3 or not, just saying that I have every reason to doubt the evidence of its existence. Remains to be confirmed (which won't be easy, v1 and potential v3 have both one BA in the nozzle, I guess if new orders suddenly start having just one BA this whole thing should be investigated further).

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #27,797 of 63,796
KZ ZS3 will be here in a couple days.

Welcome friend, and congrats on your 1st IEM purchase!

I hope your ZS3 arrive in proper working order.

The most recent ZS3 batch seems to have an issue with some having a DOA defective driver issue (it doesn't affect all of them in this batch; just much higher % defects than usual for KZ).

Be sure to test them thoroughly in case 1 side dies (you'll still be within a return period).

More info here:

Feb 2, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #27,799 of 63,796
So are you saying that the bottom line is that there's no ZS5 v3 after all?

The current Gearbest marketing materials seem to suggest a ZS6 v2.

And if you look at the current ZS5 materials, which is very interesting in the stated use of different (instead of identical )BA drivers and note the location of the 2 BA drivers.

New Picture.jpg

Feb 3, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #27,800 of 63,796
about firing employees.. it pretended to be a (unfortunate) joke, or an statement about kz could do even better.
my experience as a worker in companies also tells me upper management uses to be technical ignorant and uses to decide based on pure marketing uniquely. thanks god there are exceptions somewhere..
can imagine it: engineers: "alpha version is ready to start being tested, it uses a crossover now and there are not buried drivers.." upper management: "no alpha version, let's deploy it now! we are on a wave, let customers test it while you plan another upgrade. graphic designers, prepare the posters right now, emphasizing everything that the customers want to see, although it is false"
i'm also fond of KZ. their quality-price ratio is superb. we can understand that their prices don't allow them to be too finicky with details or QC. no problem, while their iems sound well enough for the budget. i've had 2 qc issues (one zs5v1, one zs3) from 45 kz purchased iems. gearbest refunded 100% of the zs5, and i didn't notify about the broken zs3. i can't complain.

Yes exactly this...You're inside my head, you put the point down much better.

I alluded to the design being incomplete when they were in no rush to cut corners anyway but in that instance of "we're on a wave let's get them out" then yeah that's asking for trouble. I realise most companies in a competitive market are that way inclined, I just don't see the point in bringing a half arsed or incomplete product to market only to have to jig it and then release a better version, the stuff must be so cheap to make that they're still turning a profit and the consumer can't complain because it's still great value. i'm hoping they aren't as sinister as other corporations and they've formulated their own Hype-train-delivery system and will make a habit of this vi vii viii nonsense, it's going to be the thing that turns me off... but my wishful thinking and naivety will always get the better of me and Cash rules everything around me.

When Upper management is disconnected from the hands-on guys there's always going to be mishaps but it's amazing how crafty they can be with posters and withholding information, people like to want to know why, or how, so they will eventually conjure up their own standards when there's a void of information so they can relax and rest assured there's no loose ends on the information scale.

I'm all for that but it helps to have knowledge of how the game is played and what crafty methods they can utilise all the while understanding how the technology works. Much can be figured out using only those parameters.

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #27,801 of 63,796
Welcome friend, and congrats on your 1st IEM purchase!

I hope your ZS3 arrive in proper working order.

The most recent ZS3 batch seems to have an issue with some having a DOA defective driver issue (it doesn't affect all of them in this batch; just much higher % defects than usual for KZ).

Be sure to test them thoroughly in case 1 side dies (you'll still be within a return period).

More info here:

expecting another set of zs3 shortly so i'll report back once I Test them.

Can anyone confirm if the current line up is staying put. The New Line-up is additional Models or is everything just selling out and the new line up take over ?

I think I better take a break from this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 3, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #27,802 of 63,796
I always listen to my headphones on low vol. I just EQ accordingly and give them enough power and if the Isolation is right the sound
Both ZS5 and ZST distorts when I drive them over it's limits from my iDevices or my NFB11.32 and Chord Mojo DAC/Amp but of course that's not the usual volume I normally listen to my music. I suspect that the distortion tolerance of both the ZS5 and ZST is caused by the type of BA drivers that KZ used for both IEMs. Generally dynamic drivers have better distortion tolerance than BA drivers..

the distortion test. way to go lol

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #27,803 of 63,796
"Best" depends on a number of factors. What's "best" for one person can be the "worst" for someone else.

Let's start by answering the following questions:

- Do you have a particular sound preference with headphones?
- What genres of music do you listen to?
- What is your budget?
- Do you have to have a removable cable, or is a fixed cable OK?
- Do you care about isolation (ie music leaking out or external sounds leaking in)?
- Do you care if the IEM is worn down, or do you like behind-the-ear IEMs?
- Do you have small ears? Or odd shaped ears?
- Do you need a microphone or music control button
- Do you plan on sleeping with the IEM?
- Do you want the option to use them as bluetooth earphones?
Thanks for your help.
I like a nice sub(bass). I listen to all genres of music, but mainly EDM. Isolation and a music control button are important. Use them as bluetooth earphones would be cool, but that's not very important.

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #27,806 of 63,796
Might be the fact they're virtually free or the insertion angle which works better than any other iem, but I keep coming back to the ATR, no matter what else I'm using.

Feb 3, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #27,807 of 63,796
All this talk about how good the bass ison the kz zsr is makes me want to get a pair! i want to see if they will de-throne my current favorite kz zs3

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #27,808 of 63,796
All this talk about how good the bass ison the kz zsr is makes me want to get a pair! i want to see if they will de-throne my current favorite kz zs3

Got a ZSR, after two days of break in, I found adapted tips to my ears (triple flange) cause the muzle is very big, even with the smallest included tips..
Compared with my ZS3, it's another beast.
The ZS3 has nice dynamic strong bass, it has a warm fun sound, but few details on medium, and very few trebles, even after removing the foams and change the cable for a silver plated.
The ZSR is like a super ZST: it realy has medium & trebles with a lot of details, you can realy discover a lot of things alive in the records, even in a low resolution musical podcast at 128kbps... The bass are sharper than ZST and ZS3, so they take less space, but their volume stays the same as it goes down and down till infra ! They can push hard, but only if it is so in the record.
There is less trebles than with the ZST but more details, on mediums too. Voices can be sometimes a bit recessed (I think this is solved with a fourth driver on the ZS6)

KZ ZSR_01.JPG

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #27,809 of 63,796
I've retired my Meizu EP-51 and switched to KZ ZS3 + Spinfit CP100-L + Bluetooth cable for gym sessions. They have a very firm fit, which is nice. The ZST tended to slip out some times, and the Ep-51 is just a strage IEM/earbud hybrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back