Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 27, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #27,466 of 63,834
KZ ZS5v1 > 1More Triple > KZ ZS6 > KZ ZST > KZ ATR > Tennmak Pro > Tennmak Piano > KZ ATE

ZS5v1 on top. I wish they hadn't changed them because I'm wondering if I'll have a hard time finding anything under $200 that will compete with them and I'm afraid of losing them. The 1More Triple's were not worth the $100 and are lacking in soundstage, but are very similar to the ZS5v1's in sound signature. ZS5's have a larger soundstage and better sub bass reproduction as well as a more crisp sound that isn't sibilant in any sense.

Bold statement honestly. I get why people like ZS5v1 but they aren't untouchable. For example, I prefer Sony MH1c (<15$) by a small margin. Step up a bit and you get a very clear upgrade for around 35$ on sale - Auglamour RT-1 does everything better than ZS5 (except the sound stage where they are similar). This is not even taking into account accessories, build quality, comfort, isolation, design... Haven't heard iBasso IT01 which is probably an even bigger upgrade and I can only imagine what 200$ gets you today.

On the other hand, budget earbuds are winners for pure sound quality, a 10$ EMX500 gets you a long way towards musical bliss, in quiet environments though.

It's kinda dangerous to speak unfavorably about KZ's top dog here - just keep in mind that this is a personal opinion and not an attempt to start wars. KZ has yet to really impress me and I am looking forward to it.

Jan 27, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #27,467 of 63,834
Bold statement honestly. I get why people like ZS5v1 but they aren't untouchable. For example, I prefer Sony MH1c (<15$) by a small margin. Step up a bit and you get a very clear upgrade for around 35$ on sale - Auglamour RT-1 does everything better than ZS5 (except the sound stage where they are similar). This is not even taking into account accessories, build quality, comfort, isolation, design... Haven't heard iBasso IT01 which is probably an even bigger upgrade and I can only imagine what 200$ gets you today.

On the other hand, budget earbuds are winners for pure sound quality, a 10$ EMX500 gets you a long way towards musical bliss, in quiet environments though.

It's kinda dangerous to speak unfavorably about KZ's top dog here - just keep in mind that this is a personal opinion and not an attempt to start wars. KZ has yet to really impress me and I am looking forward to it.

I just bought the iBasso IT03 for $259, so I'll let you know how "untouchable" the ZS5v1's really are. I have a gut feeling as if my argument may stand, sound quality wise at least. I'm not intimidated by the cost, and give honest "no-BS" reviews. I am listening to these IEM's 7+ hours/day (uneventful job & life, music is therapy, etc) and allow brain burn in (along with whatever other burn in you may think exists) to happen over the course of 1-2 weeks. The IT03's have glowing reviews on head-fi, so they should be a terrific point to compare the ZS5v1's to.

Jan 27, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #27,468 of 63,834

Please supply a link so those interested can purchase the Sony MH1C.

71Ww8w9E6bL._SL1500_.jpg

Jan 27, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #27,469 of 63,834
Jan 27, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #27,470 of 63,834
I just bought the iBasso IT03 for $259, so I'll let you know how "untouchable" the ZS5v1's really are. I have a gut feeling as if my argument may stand, sound quality wise at least. I'm not intimidated by the cost, and give honest "no-BS" reviews. I am listening to these IEM's 7+ hours/day (uneventful job & life, music is therapy, etc) and allow brain burn in (along with whatever other burn in you may think exists) to happen over the course of 1-2 weeks. The IT03's have glowing reviews on head-fi, so they should be a terrific point to compare the ZS5v1's to.

This is a review I will be looking forward to. Thanks for taking the plunge.

Word on the street is that the IT03 is very source dependent (8ohms impedance), has a similar 10khz spike like the ZS6 and is tuned with big bass. I think another interesting comparison will be with KZ's ZSR, which reportedly have big bass (10mm DD), accented treble and very similar driver housings. This should be interesting to say the least. It may actually help us gauge how well KZ is doing compared to the competition or how far behind they are.

What source will you be pairing them with and thanks again for taking the plunge.

iBasso IT03 ($260)
71Gch5H0VLL._SL1500_.jpg

Knowledge Zenith ZSR ($27)
61Tm9xdf9bL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #27,472 of 63,834
NP.

Jan 27, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #27,473 of 63,834
This is a review I will be looking forward to. Thanks for taking the plunge.

Word on the street is that the IT03 is very source dependent (8ohms impedance), has a similar 10khz spike like the ZS6 and is tuned with big bass. I think another interesting comparison will be with KZ's ZSR, which reportedly have big bass (10mm DD), accented treble and very similar driver housings. This should be interesting to say the least. It may actually help us gauge how well KZ is doing compared to the competition or how far behind they are.

What source will you be pairing them with and thanks again for taking the plunge.

iBasso IT03 ($260)

Knowledge Zenith ZSR ($27)

I'll give impressions on my Pixel XL, Zune 120, Modi 2/Magni 3 (best I have), as well as the MEE Audio BT aptX cable with my Pixel XL (Snapdragon 821 does aptX and aptX HD now apparently). Pixel XL/Zune 120 is what I'll mostly be listening on, since I'm away from home for 10-12 hours per day and I can't exactly bring everything with me. They aren't exactly expensive enough to warrant me keeping them home either.

The Geffen master of Live At The Regal will be a nice test (one of the hundreds of music tests!) of the IT03 vs the ZS5. I feel it's one of the best mastered & recorded albums I've ever heard, with a giant soundstage and crisp wonderful audio. When BB King yells into that microphone and it pops, sending that loud pop in a very pleasant air pushing way into my ear, it gives me goosebumps like I'm right there.

Unfortunately, I do not have the ZSR and I do not plan to get them, so unless some birdie sitting out there in the peanut crowd sends me a PM offering a free pair to compare against the IT03's, there will be no ZSR review. I also do not have the ZS5v2, and I also do not have the ZS6 anymore as I lost one side somewhere on the streets of Seattle.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #27,474 of 63,834
I'll give impressions on my Pixel XL, Zune 120, Modi 2/Magni 3 (best I have), as well as the MEE Audio BT aptX cable with my Pixel XL (Snapdragon 821 does aptX and aptX HD now apparently). Pixel XL/Zune 120 is what I'll mostly be listening on, since I'm away from home for 10-12 hours per day and I can't exactly bring everything with me. They aren't exactly expensive enough to warrant me keeping them home either.

The Geffen master of Live At The Regal will be a nice test (one of the hundreds of music tests!) of the IT03 vs the ZS5. I feel it's one of the best mastered & recorded albums I've ever heard, with a giant soundstage and crisp wonderful audio. When BB King yells into that microphone and it pops, sending that loud pop in a very pleasant air pushing way into my ear, it gives me goosebumps like I'm right there.

Unfortunately, I do not have the ZSR and I do not plan to get them, so unless some birdie sitting out there in the peanut crowd sends me a PM offering a free pair to compare against the IT03's, there will be no ZSR review. I also do not have the ZS5v2, and I also do not have the ZS6 anymore as I lost one side somewhere on the streets of Seattle.

I'll have to check out the "Geffen master of Live At The Regal". Never heard it before.

Too bad about that ZS6. If after a while no one compares the IT03 and ZSR, perhaps I'll send one up there (California to Seattle).

Both of my ZuneHD's are still going strong (8yrs) and sound exceptionally clean.

Anyway, looking forward to the comparison.
31PxMUF9S-L._SL1500_.jpg

Jan 27, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #27,475 of 63,834
I'll have to check out the "Geffen master of Live At The Regal". Never heard it before.

Too bad about that ZS6. If after a while no one compares the IT03 and ZSR, perhaps I'll send one up there (California to Seattle).

Both of my ZuneHD's are still going strong (8yrs) and sound exceptionally clean.

Anyway, looking forward to the comparison.

Sounds good! I'll compare to most of my other IEM's as well.

I have a Zune HD, Zune 120, and an original Zune. They're off the grid, have FM radios, and decent DAC's. To this day, they're all going strong. Not sure why these got discontinued, but I imagine is was the iPod that killed them.

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #27,476 of 63,834
Sanded it down to the minimum and applied a very thick layer of a paint. Without sanding they would be larger than a VW Beetle.
I've actually redone mine last night. Sanded it down more (I used Scotch-Brite ) and used better quality paint. Not too thick, I've only used half of the 400cc can. After that I was hearing driver flex when I insert them, until I realized that I have to clear the paint-clogged vent holes. IMO this ZS5 is more ergonomic now. Sits perfectly on my ear.

Just waiting now for my T400 foams from eBay (US$ 1.8/4 pairs!!!)

picture_1517107504314.jpg

It looks better in actual than in this pic

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #27,477 of 63,834
I've actually redone mine last night. Sanded it down more (I used Scotch-Brite ) and used better quality paint. Not too thick, I've only used half of the 400cc can. After that I was hearing driver flex when I insert them, until I realized that I have to clear the paint-clogged vent holes. IMO this ZS5 is more ergonomic now. Sits perfectly on my ear.

Just waiting now for my T400 foams from eBay (US$ 1.8/4 pairs!!!)

It looks better in actual than in this pic

I personally have no issues with ergonomics on my ZS5's, but wow that looks awesome! KZ should've rounded it like that. Excellent work.

Jan 27, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #27,479 of 63,834

Users who are viewing this thread

Back