Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 27, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #27,436 of 63,828
Hello, everyone! Long time HF reader here. Been visiting occasionally since mh1 hype started. Now I'm an everyday visitor and damn, all I can say - last 6 months have not been very healthy for my wallet, and one night I had a nightmare about A.R. Rahman.
Ok to the point. I want to share my KZ ZS5 DMGM (Doom Metal Ghetto Mod). I really liked my zs5 v1, but could not keep them in my ears longer than 10 minutes. All those sharp edges were killing me. (I have rather small ears for a 185cm guy). I really loved the ZS3 form factor, but ZS5 sound quality I loved even more. I bought the CI880 as a close competitor with a smaller shell size. But it's nowhere near the zs5 soundstage, bass quality and instrument separation wise. LSS - decided to make my ZS5 smoother. Not the best looking result, but believe me, the comfort is exceptional now.

DSC_0274.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg

I am not a native english speaker, sorry for my mistakes!

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #27,441 of 63,828
Hopefully, the KZR is a trend towards comfort. It took a while to get used to the KZ5 ergonomics for me. So much so I almost gave up after 2 weeks. It turns out that ears have pretty flexible & adaptable tissues. They're comfy now!
Soundwise, I'm not sold on the KZR...Would prefer a well built KZ6.

The Zsr is odd for me in that regard. It is one of the more ergonomic shapes Kz has done, but the fit is not quite there for me and I have to fidget and adjust until i get it aligned just right or I get poked by the upper ear-hook component of the shell. Hopefully it wont bother you, but be aware that it is not a universal fit.

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #27,442 of 63,828
So according to hillsonicaudio, all of these are upcoming/planned IEM models from KZ for 2018. So apparently there will be a "less angular" ZS6 (with all the screws and grill) that will be released, but will probably be a part of the ZST/ZSR family cause it uses the same angled cable.

ok so 2nd row from top looks like direct Aursonics/ Fender knock off in case design. The one at the bottom right looks to be either a Fender or Jerry Harvey knock off. The Layla would be an awful high aiming point for Kz.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #27,443 of 63,828
Hello, everyone! Long time HF reader here. Been visiting occasionally since mh1 hype started. Now I'm an everyday visitor and damn, all I can say - last 6 months have not been very healthy for my wallet, and one night I had a nightmare about A.R. Rahman.
Ok to the point. I want to share my KZ ZS5 DMGM (Doom Metal Ghetto Mod). I really liked my zs5 v1, but could not keep them in my ears longer than 10 minutes. All those sharp edges were killing me. (I have rather small ears for a 185cm guy). I really loved the ZS3 form factor, but ZS5 sound quality I loved even more. I bought the CI880 as a close competitor with a smaller shell size. But it's nowhere near the zs5 soundstage, bass quality and instrument separation wise. LSS - decided to make my ZS5 smoother. Not the best looking result, but believe me, the comfort is exceptional now.

DSC_0274.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg

I am not a native english speaker, sorry for my mistakes!

Not sure exactly what you did. Did you transfer the drivers into a different shell or did you sand down the case on the zs5?

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #27,445 of 63,828
Hello everybody!
As someone said before - if you have a tips with smaller diameter, you'll get better sound - more lows, less highs. So I did a little bit research to make such thing from what I have cuz i don't want to spend money and then wait for a 10-15 days to buy T100 or T200.
Remember! Everything we do is at our own peril and shame.
Better lock the door, so Mummy and Daddy do not see what you're doing, little dirty audiophile.
Step one. We need:
IMG_20180127_184554-01.jpeg I have T400 foam. Useless tips are stock tips - I really hate 'em cuz they always stay in my ears, they sooo uncomfortable and they killed my brother (what.a.joke!).
Step two. Carnage!
IMG_20180127_184644-01.jpeg
Step three. A little bit of magic.IMG_20180127_184826-01.jpeg
IMG_20180127_185236-01.jpeg
Step four. The most difficult.IMG_20180127_185623-01.jpeg
I spent a lot of nerves and lot of "cyka blyat" on this action, my friends.
Sooo...IMG_20180127_185653-01.jpeg
IMG_20180127_185734-01.jpeg
Step five. Optional.
Draw a little face on your finger and put another part of useless tip on it. Play with it.
IMG_20180127_185054.jpg

So, what did it cost us:
1) a pair of absolutely useless tips;
2) about ten minutes of our precious time.
What we got:
NOTHING! THIS SH** IS USELESS!

Gotcha! Seriously, it helped me. There were more lows, and highs were smoothed out. I like it!

If it will help somebody i'll be happy. But I know that it is very simple way to try something new and everyone could do it themself. Nevertheless, maybe it could help someone.
From Russia with love :wink:
IMG_20180127_190348-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #27,446 of 63,828
^ nice DIY solution. Definitely liked the captions that went with it as well.

Random question. Does anyone's KZ ZS3's microphone button on the stock cable also increase/decrease the volume of the music when connected to your phone? So you press the button (while attached to your phone), the music pauses but the volume also changes one stop as well. I have a feeling I might need to open up my microphone section and find out what's going on. My microphone also stopped working as well so I think I might have a defective microphone. (microphone was working before but stopped working after 2-3 weeks ago)

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #27,447 of 63,828
I suspected that this was the case with the 1More triple all along. Glad I didn't take the bait, but I came veeeeeery close.

Thanks for the final verdict.

Since I paid less than half that for mine I am satisfied.

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #27,449 of 63,828
I have both the triple and IT01. I really can't get a decent fit with the 1more so I prefer the iBasso just for that reason. It needs tons of burn in time though, as in hundreds of hours. But it does sound very good once you get there. Personally I think that the midrange is recessed and distant but that could be a fitment problem. I need to spend some more time with them. And with the triples just to see if I can get a decent fit.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #27,450 of 63,828
Offtopic, sorry...I have the same samsung player...I didn't use in years, I think, but I'll take it again!

I mostly use mine for EDM and use the "Club" preset with an IEM that is somewhat neutral (little coloration). If you use an IEM that has enhanced bass it will be too much. Wolfson DAC's were well known for having a warm bent to their presentation, so they pair well with brighter IEMs. The IEMs you see the Q1 paired with are the KZ HDS1. Great pair-up!

At the time the iPod was ubiquitous and people just could not get their heads around the little Samsung's handicap. It just wasn't as fluid in accessing the music. The truth is that the little Samsung had the same handicap that every HiRes DAP has today, unless the HiRes DAP is based on an Android OS like the Fiio X5iii (you can use the Android OS or use Fiio's proprietary installed software).

As I mentioned in that post the Samsung YP-Q1 has a Wolfson DAC installed, though I am unsure of the amplifier it is coupled with. But this tiny unassuming little DAP is a powerhouse. That's why you can only get eight hours of life at a time with it, typical of most HiRes DAPs today (Fiio, Cayin, Opus, etc.). Back when these were being sold (2008-- 2009) everybody was buying iPods and little Fiio E6 amplifiers, but Samsung did an end run around everybody way back then by having the amplifiers preinstalled in their DAPs well before Fiio released their first X3. If you think about it, Fiio can no longer make the claim that they made the world's first HiRes DAP with the Fiio X3i. That honor really goes to Samsung for releasing the YP-K3 back in 2007. I had one of those, too and the little amplifier inside of the K3 made it stand apart from everything else being released at the time. I let a blonde chick borrow it and I never saw it again (dang nabbit) otherwise I would still have a little bit of history with me.

images-26.jpg
18s07l57oaq8yjpg.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back