Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 5, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #26,701 of 63,832
Unfortunately, this all too common fact is what’s killing the watch industry.

Same with the point and shoot camera market, and many other things.

I know, it’s progress and all, but it’s still sad to see.

"The wristwatch...an elegant timepiece for a more civilized age." :triumph: :tophat: :mans_shoe: :ok_hand:

Jan 6, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #26,703 of 63,832
about that "HW amplitude corrector"? I saw the PDF on that...but I don't feel like taking that on as a soldering project (I'm still a novice with soldering and that seemed like an advanced move) I thought I saw a standalone one...does it help that much? Where would I get one?

For the sake of this thread and my respect for KZ bang products... I`ll PM You about that :wink: But my fast comment about that filter - its darn easy to do and You can do built-into-HP or in-line-cable-removeable(or even tunable) filter... and it`s worth every penny and move! :wink:

Jan 6, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #26,704 of 63,832
I rather like using watch with more capabilities than only tells time. Been using the Garmin Vivosmart HR daily when i go out, because I'm using a tablet as my main device that it's a bit cumbersome to take them out and opening the cover just to tell time and messages.

In fact i might not use any wristwatch daily if it's only just a time piece (except to formal events, then i need my "jewelry")

Just more ways to be tracked and "watched."

Jan 6, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #26,705 of 63,832
Well, the thing about doing it yourself at home is that it’s typically easy to get the back off. But often it’s getting them back ON that can be problematic. Many watch backs are pressure backs, and require a watch “press” to reinstall the back. You attach the appropriate die to each side of the watch case, and press them together in a machine that puts even and equal pressure around the perimeter of the watch back. The die that goes on the front of the watch is carefully chosen so as to not crack the crystal once force is applied using the press machine.

Many watch backs can simply be snapped back in with your fingers, but the ones that don’t are literally impossible to get back together without a watch press.

In addition, some watches have a reset procedure when replacing the battery, where the circuit must be shorted in a specific way to prevent problems.

Then there’s the issue of many watches having “straps” that screw down on top of the battery. If you think the screws that hold eyeglasses together are small, you should see the screws used in watches. They are a fraction of a millimeter, and the straps are often “spring loaded”, so when you unscrew the microscopic screw, the battery strap launches the screw into oblivion. Then you’re screwed, because sure you can install a new battery, but you don’t have anything to hold the battery strap down with. The strap must make contact with the battery to complete the circuit. Jewelers have a selection of replacement battery strap screws.

Not only that, but almost all watches have very tiny gaskets that prevent moisture from getting into the watch. It’s not much thicker than a few human hairs. The gasket is often torn when the back is removed, or is flattened or stretched out due to normal use/aging, and must be replaced with a new one.

You’d be surprised how many people bring watches in a ziplock baggie, after they’ve given up trying to work on it at home. We call them butcher jobs, because it looks like they took a dull butter knife and tried to butcher the watch to pieces. The butchering can get so bad that it damages/chews up the case and the back no longer properly mates with a flat surface. It can also chew up where the gasket seats, compromising the integrity of the gasket seal.

If you just take it to a proper jeweler, they have all of the proper tools, all of the proper gaskets, etc. It is $10 well spent (and free lifetime replacement if you purchased the watch from us).

I’m not saying it can’t be a perfectly successful DIY job, but things can go very sideways at which point you’ll need a jeweler or watchmaker to sort it out anyways. No reputable/trustworthy jeweler tries to “gouge” people on watch battery replacement. We’re just happy to provide a service and out a smile on your face. We give away tons of free battery replacement coupons, don’t charge veterans and active duty military, free batteries to new customers, lifetime replacement on watches purchased from us, etc.

And I happily pay $15 for my waterproof kit.

Jan 6, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #26,706 of 63,832
It's nice to see that Gearbest's "unregistered" shipping is actually trackable now. It's still painfully slow though but better than paying extra $3-4.
Screenshot_20180107-000135.png
I use this site to track it cause the tracking details doesn't appear on the Gearbest app.
Screenshot_20180106-235615.png

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #26,707 of 63,832
It's nice to see that Gearbest's "unregistered" shipping is actually trackable now. It's still painfully slow though but better than paying extra $3-4.

I use this site to track it cause the tracking details doesn't appear on the Gearbest app.
Thank you! i did not know this!
This brings me peace of mind!

Now i know my orders are in the country, now i will wait till post will deliver my KZ stuff
Got ATR and ES3+ZS3 coming :D

last thing it will say on tracking is always" the transfer of customs-- 30-Dec-2017 06:25 PM "

then it will not update,then all left to do is wait.

thanks,now i know i can track my unregistered orders :D

Jan 6, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #26,708 of 63,832
I wanted to buy a higher end model (whizzer A15 €58,--) but I decided to go for the KZ ZS6 (€25,-- on gearbest, 33% discount) in combination with C foam tips (€4,-- on aliexpress). I could have also bought the KZ ZS5 (€15,-- at gearbest) with better soundstage out of the box although worse comfort+buildquality, but some users posted that the treble quality was higher when using foam tips on the zs6 instead of the standard tips. Because I trailrun for 2 hours 3 times a week, I decided that comfort and buildquality was more important to me then less soundstage. Also, I do not even know if my ears would notice what other experienced audiophiles have noticed in the treble and marked as less good (I am almost 40 years old, so my ears are probably less good anyway).

The long wait has begun! I am excited because these earbuds will be my first chi-fi earbuds in combination with my benjie s5. let say for some reason I would ever want bluetooth, then I can always upgrade so that is a plus.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #26,709 of 63,832
I wanted to buy a higher end model (whizzer A15 €58,--) but I decided to go for the KZ ZS6 (€25,-- on gearbest, 33% discount) in combination with C foam tips (€4,-- on aliexpress). I could have also bought the KZ ZS5 (€15,-- at gearbest) with better soundstage out of the box although worse comfort+buildquality, but some users posted that the treble quality was higher when using foam tips on the zs6 instead of the standard tips. Because I trailrun for 2 hours 3 times a week, I decided that comfort and buildquality was more important to me then less soundstage. Also, I do not even know if my ears would notice what other experienced audiophiles have noticed in the treble and marked as less good (I am almost 40 years old, so my ears are probably less good anyway).

The long wait has begun! I am excited because these earbuds will be my first chi-fi earbuds in combination with my benjie s5. let say for some reason I would ever want bluetooth, then I can always upgrade so that is a plus.

Hope it won't take too long before they arrive too you in NL. My ZS5 took over a month, and still waiting on some headphones that I ordered 28 nov.
But it's like russian Roulette. Some New Bee tips that I ordered at GB arrived in only 10 days.

Jan 6, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #26,710 of 63,832
Hope it won't take too long before they arrive too you in NL. My ZS5 took over a month, and still waiting on some headphones that I ordered 28 nov.
But it's like russian Roulette. Some New Bee tips that I ordered at GB arrived in only 10 days.

I have similar experiences with chinashops, I bought some IoT-stuff and wii-stuff before at aliexpress and was pleased how everything went. But sometimes the order you place is probably not big enough or just badly timed in regards when the shop sends out the ordered goods. But till now I am pleased about most purchases and deliverytimes. I bought a benji s5 4 days ago and it is still not sent, but that is ok. If you want to shop on the cheapside, you can not have everything your way ofcourse. patience is bliss!

Jan 6, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #26,711 of 63,832

You can't go wrong with that choice! However for trailrunning, I would have thought that weight (plastic vs metal) and disposability to be up there on the priority list. You could have also bought 2 KZ5s like I did :D. Then again, the KZ6 is a nice looking beast...

Jan 6, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #26,712 of 63,832
You can't go wrong with that choice! However for trailrunning, I would have thought that weight (plastic vs metal) and disposability to be up there on the priority list. You could have also bought 2 KZ5s like I did :D. Then again, the KZ6 is a nice looking beast...

€10 difference is quite alot I agree, but more then 1 reviewer complained about the comfort of the zs5 (also budgetaudio and uproear) and I did not want to wait 3 weeks on earbuds that would not be comfortable. With the zs6 nobody complained about comfort and the buildquality was better anyway. When you trainrun for 2 hours orso, comfort I feel is more important so the zs6 seemed a logical choice to me (in combination with the cfoam fix). I just hope they blow my philips shs3300 away and be just as comfortable, I would enjoy that!

Jan 6, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #26,713 of 63,832
€10 difference is quite alot I agree, but more then 1 reviewer complained about the comfort of the zs5 (also budgetaudio and uproear) and I did not want to wait 3 weeks on earbuds that would not be comfortable. With the zs6 nobody complained about comfort and the buildquality was better anyway. When you trainrun for 2 hours orso, comfort I feel is more important so the zs6 seemed a logical choice to me (in combination with the cfoam fix). I just hope they blow my philips shs3300 away and be just as comfortable, I would enjoy that!

The shape is awkward indeed on both the KZ5 and the KZ6, with the KZ5 being more angular. I had huge problems with comfort for the first weeks but now I'm used to it and find the KZ5 very comfy. The KZ6 should be easier to get used to if not immediately comfortable.

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #26,714 of 63,832
Not had any comfort issue with either one.

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #26,715 of 63,832
The KZ6 should be easier to get used to if not immediately comfortable.

The ZS6 was immediately comfortable for me. The ZS3, on the other hand, never felt right so I gave it to my husband who has no problem with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back