Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 5, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #26,686 of 63,780
I need a battery for my skagen

I do too. I hope dead watch batteries do not leak.

Unlike alkaline batteries that leak all of the time when discharged, the button cell batteries used in quartz watches rarely leak. They can leak, but it's usually when the watch gasket has been compromised (torn, missing, etc) and sweat gets into the watch (or other moisture, but sweat is really bad). Then it corrodes everything including the battery.

If you were in the states, I'd replace the batteries for you for free as I have access to all of the proper watchmaking tools. The only thing I don't have is a crystal cutting lathe and a repressurizer (but the latter is only needed for some watched such as Rolex). Just don't use a butter knife like I see all of the time. Take it to a proper jeweler or watchmaker :)

Jan 5, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #26,687 of 63,780
A man without a watch is not dressed. Or so I've been told...likely by a watch salesman.

I believe that.

And an Apple watch doesn't count. That's a gadget, not a watch :)

Jan 5, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #26,688 of 63,780
Unlike alkaline batteries that leak all of the time when discharged, the button cell batteries used in quartz watches rarely leak. They can leak, but it's usually when the watch gasket has been compromised (torn, missing, etc) and sweat gets into the watch (or other moisture, but sweat is really bad). Then it corrodes everything including the battery.

If you were in the states, I'd replace the batteries for you for free as I have access to all of the proper watchmaking tools. The only thing I don't have is a crystal cutting lathe and a repressurizer (but the latter is only needed for some watched such as Rolex). Just don't use a butter knife like I see all of the time. Take it to a proper jeweler or watchmaker :)

So you're saying always use a sharp knife?

knife watch.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #26,689 of 63,780
Jan 5, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #26,691 of 63,780
I believe that.

The only reason I started wearing watches again is because my son gifted me a Moto 360 gadget.
If I need to know what time it is, I look at my cell phone :nerd:

Jan 5, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #26,692 of 63,780
The only reason I started wearing watches again is because my son gifted me a Moto 360 gadget.

Yeah, we've come full-circle. From pocket watches, to wrist watches, and now back to glorified pocket watches. LOL.

Jan 5, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #26,693 of 63,780
OT: All I can say is keep in mind what you prize most. If you're utilitarian in nature, a smartwatch may be best suited to you. If you're a pragmatist I can see a digital watch making sense. For some people the Seiko 5 is ideal, and it does make a great everyday watch. I personally feel past a certain point a watch is essentially jewelry and there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't let other people's opinions keep you from making the decisions you really want to make, within reason of course.

Jan 5, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #26,694 of 63,780

I don't carry a phone. I don't wear a watch around the house (there is at least one clock in every room) but I feel naked if I go out without putting on a watch...kind of like shoes... my dogs could always tell I was on my way out if I grabbed my watch and shoes. All my more expensive watches have dead batteries right now.. I am happy wearing various colorful silicone watches lately.

Jan 5, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #26,695 of 63,780
I believe that.

I rather like using watch with more capabilities than only tells time. Been using the Garmin Vivosmart HR daily when i go out, because I'm using a tablet as my main device that it's a bit cumbersome to take them out and opening the cover just to tell time and messages.

In fact i might not use any wristwatch daily if it's only just a time piece (except to formal events, then i need my "jewelry")

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #26,696 of 63,780
HD-681 with HW amplitude corrector, changed cable and some pad rolling/changing are total beasts for the money.
I have modded my pair and they are not so good as my X1 but damn they make You think about price vs. perf level, they are very good when modded and I would say even "beat" many >100$ cans easily !

...but fellas, this is KZ thread - return to subject! :wink:
about that "HW amplitude corrector"? I saw the PDF on that...but I don't feel like taking that on as a soldering project (I'm still a novice with soldering and that seemed like an advanced move) I thought I saw a standalone one...does it help that much? Where would I get one?

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #26,697 of 63,780
OT: All I can say is keep in mind what you prize most. If you're utilitarian in nature, a smartwatch may be best suited to you. If you're a pragmatist I can see a digital watch making sense. For some people the Seiko 5 is ideal, and it does make a great everyday watch. I personally feel past a certain point a watch is essentially jewelry and there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't let other people's opinions keep you from making the decisions you really want to make, within reason of course.
When I see a beautiful watch, I want it because it is a thing of beauty. I'm talking about classic watches like your Seiko.

Some day, I'll get one. Probably wear it night and day for a while. After that, I'll just wear it to the office. Then I will remember that I'm not a watch guy, and it'll sit on the shelf with the others. Sad but true.

I'm in love with the idea, history and romance of watches, but not the experience...

Jan 5, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #26,698 of 63,780
When I see a beautiful watch, I want it because it is a thing of beauty. I'm talking about classic watches like your Seiko.

Some day, I'll get one. Probably wear it night and day for a while. After that, I'll just wear it to the office. Then I will remember that I'm not a watch guy, and it'll sit on the shelf with the others. Sad but true.

I'm in love with the idea, history and romance of watches, but not the experience...
Dangit, I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked into this......but I have had a few Seikos...the skx007 and a Seiko 5 titanium were my favorites...I really miss that Titanium, it was so light.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #26,699 of 63,780

Unfortunately, this all too common fact is what’s killing the watch industry.

Same with the point and shoot camera market, and many other things.

I know, it’s progress and all, but it’s still sad to see.

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #26,700 of 63,780
So you're saying always use a sharp knife?

Well, the thing about doing it yourself at home is that it’s typically easy to get the back off. But often it’s getting them back ON that can be problematic. Many watch backs are pressure backs, and require a watch “press” to reinstall the back. You attach the appropriate die to each side of the watch case, and press them together in a machine that puts even and equal pressure around the perimeter of the watch back. The die that goes on the front of the watch is carefully chosen so as to not crack the crystal once force is applied using the press machine.

Many watch backs can simply be snapped back in with your fingers, but the ones that don’t are literally impossible to get back together without a watch press.

In addition, some watches have a reset procedure when replacing the battery, where the circuit must be shorted in a specific way to prevent problems.

Then there’s the issue of many watches having “straps” that screw down on top of the battery. If you think the screws that hold eyeglasses together are small, you should see the screws used in watches. They are a fraction of a millimeter, and the straps are often “spring loaded”, so when you unscrew the microscopic screw, the battery strap launches the screw into oblivion. Then you’re screwed, because sure you can install a new battery, but you don’t have anything to hold the battery strap down with. The strap must make contact with the battery to complete the circuit. Jewelers have a selection of replacement battery strap screws.

Not only that, but almost all watches have very tiny gaskets that prevent moisture from getting into the watch. It’s not much thicker than a few human hairs. The gasket is often torn when the back is removed, or is flattened or stretched out due to normal use/aging, and must be replaced with a new one.

You’d be surprised how many people bring watches in a ziplock baggie, after they’ve given up trying to work on it at home. We call them butcher jobs, because it looks like they took a dull butter knife and tried to butcher the watch to pieces. The butchering can get so bad that it damages/chews up the case and the back no longer properly mates with a flat surface. It can also chew up where the gasket seats, compromising the integrity of the gasket seal.

If you just take it to a proper jeweler, they have all of the proper tools, all of the proper gaskets, etc. It is $10 well spent (and free lifetime replacement if you purchased the watch from us).

I’m not saying it can’t be a perfectly successful DIY job, but things can go very sideways at which point you’ll need a jeweler or watchmaker to sort it out anyways. No reputable/trustworthy jeweler tries to “gouge” people on watch battery replacement. We’re just happy to provide a service and out a smile on your face. We give away tons of free battery replacement coupons, don’t charge veterans and active duty military, free batteries to new customers, lifetime replacement on watches purchased from us, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back