Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 27, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #25,651 of 63,832
Given the ZS10 rumor with 5 drivers per side, do you think that KZ will eventually progress to better drivers and not just increase numbers like they have been doing lately?
With this ZSR and some of the previous releases they just keep making combinations of same drivers, feels kinda uninspiring. I though that ES3 was pretty redundant and now this :sweat_smile:

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #25,652 of 63,832
Given the ZS10 rumor with 5 drivers per side, do you think that KZ will eventually progress to better drivers and not just increase numbers like they have been doing lately?
With this ZSR and some of the previous releases they just keep making combinations of same drivers, feels kinda uninspiring. I though that ES3 was pretty redundant and now this :sweat_smile:

That's honestly why I skipped the ES3. Seemed kind of redundant meh

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #25,653 of 63,832
Slater said:
No problem buddy. Let us know how you like them!
Will do.
Slater said:
I didn't know you did an open-backed mod to the ATR. I thought you only modified the ATE.
Yeah, long time ago. I`ve done lot of mods lol, craziest of them Monk into IEM (NUN-mod).
Slater said:
How does the sound of the open-backed ATR compare to the stock ATR?
ATR with open back didn`t sound much different than stock closed but lower impedance cable and removing nozzle mesh helped to improve it little.
ATR is rather refined ATE... BUT... I find ATE mids and soundstage(frontal depth) better with my gear&ear. ATR imaging is little closer in frontal depth and stereo-sides also closer.
Slater said:
Did you add ED9 nozzles to the ATR also?
No and I doubt it will bring improvement, rather degrade sound in highs department to being too harsh/sibilant.
Slater said:
And how does the sound of the open-backed ATR compare to the modified ATE?
Modified ATE still bests out ATR imho, more dynamic natural sound with better soundstage and imaging (for my gear&ear, again :wink: )

Let me put it this way:
ATR is something like Monk+
ATE FF-mod is something like Asura 2.0
that`s just rough picture to paint a picture.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #25,654 of 63,832
Registered airmail (I chose the cheapest cheapest option) always arrives within a couple of weeks or less
Thanks sir, the registered airmail costs 2$ going to my country, im still planning on getting a another pair of ZS6 as a gift or Svara Red's on Aliexpress to add on my collection LOL, thanks for the insight sir :ksc75smile:

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #25,656 of 63,832
The guy bragged so much about the marshal mode, that it cought my attention, the majority of budget chi-fi iems are v-shaped. A mid, natural oriented sound can be more expensive. The tips the he give us on the mode on 20$ are valid, c'mon. The thing is that i have no income(student), and the money i separate to buy iem's can give me only one at time. Right now i have zsr, ask hybrid and marshall mode on my watch haha.

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #25,658 of 63,832
The guy bragged so much about the marshal mode, that it cought my attention, the majority of budget chi-fi iems are v-shaped. A mid, natural oriented sound can be more expensive. The tips the he give us on the mode on 20$ are valid, c'mon..
18dB north of neutral bass is a valid "balanced" earphone? a'ight, good to know. :thinking:

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #25,659 of 63,832
18dB north of neutral bass is a valid "balanced" earphone? a'ight, good to know. :thinking:
It was he that stated those qualities on mode, i can"t say because i've never heard, but i said the tip he was gaving was valid, the mode seems different the the v-shape with huge spikes tha'ts so usual these days. The Fr graph that i see on Marshall mode indicates a l-shaped with no huge spike v on mid to high frequencies. Very different than latest kzs, that not only has a bass boost, but a recess in mids, and huge spikes in high frequencies

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #25,660 of 63,832
We get it. You love the Mode. Spread the Mode love in an appropriate thread instead of every post you make in the KZ thread. That's why it's there; https://head-fi.org/threads/marshall-mode-eq-a-very-underrated-set.755034/ :ok_hand:
I'm with you on this one...I love my Fidelio L2, but you won't see me popping off in the Sennheiser Momentum thread about how much better they are.
I will say this, the last time I heard all this Marshal Major jibber jabber I went and checked the price and it was like $30 or $40 which isn't bad, but not great when I got my ZS5 for $13.00....then I checked the price again just now and it's $23.00.
AND, I just realized that the earpiece has an M on it...My initials...hunh, that would be pretty cool to have my own monogrammed IEMs...
tell me more about this 'balanced sound' you speak of....

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #25,661 of 63,832
The thread died 2 years ago...I am just so bitter ....
.....Granted, it has more to do with my deep hatred of V-shaped earphones with hot treble that make my music sound awful than "raw sound definition" metrics.
This is wonderful, you are really making progress! Unfortunately that's all the time we have today, ok? Go ahead and take that breakthrough home and ponder it and the next time you want to lash out at a KZ headphone, you reflect back on today, ok pal?
I'm really proud of you. :)

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #25,662 of 63,832
The guy bragged so much about the marshal mode, that it cought my attention, the majority of budget chi-fi iems are v-shaped. A mid, natural oriented sound can be more expensive. The tips the he give us on the mode on 20$ are valid, c'mon. The thing is that i have no income(student), and the money i separate to buy iem's can give me only one at time. Right now i have zsr, ask hybrid and marshall mode on my watch haha.

There's neutral IEMs in that price range FYI

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #25,663 of 63,832

The majority of cheap IEMs from any brand are V-shaped with a huge chance of nasty treble spikes. Kz is no exception to that rule. I am flabbergasted by the amount of hype surrounding Kz for that matter. They just sound like cheap earphones.

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #25,664 of 63,832
There's neutral IEMs in that price range FYI

Do you mind telling me wich ones ? Not joking, i'm interested, i have little to no reference in more neutral signature. Not talking about earbuds

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #25,665 of 63,832
Just because it's V shaped doesn't make it cheap. It just means it's a sound sig you don't enjoy. This doesn't make it inherently bad. I personally find neutral to be a little boring, but that just means it doesn't suit me, that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back