Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 25, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #25,546 of 63,832
Slater, c`mon! I already know long time ago DIY versions (did that when ATE first launched). Just wondered if there is on sale something as silicone+foam(between barrel and silicone skirt).
Symbio`s I know also but haven`t bought them bc their bore is rather small size, wish for something similar but larger bore (at least opening of bore).

OK, I figured as much.

Yeah, the only non-DIY versions I know of is the Symbios (and of course the Sony Hybrids which you can't get anymore).

BTW, they DO have a large bore Symbio version! They offer both small and large bore.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #25,547 of 63,832
Hello! I just received my KZ ZS6s, it took a while. I previously had a pair of ZS5s, but I think one of the drivers suddenly died on them, as mids started to be barely audible in the right monitor.
After listening to quite a few things with the ZS6s, I find them a mixed bag, mostly because each of the monitors sounds different. Voices are much crisper and louder in the left monitor when compared to the right one. As such, they are really annoying to listen to. They both fit snuggly in my ears, and I tried using various tips, the difference is still there no matter what I try. I feel cursed with bad luck when getting/using IEMs. My ROCK Zircons started having issues with the right monitor, the ZS5s suddenly went poof on me and now this.
What else can I try to do to find the issue?

Nov 25, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #25,549 of 63,832
Hello! I just received my KZ ZS6s, it took a while. I previously had a pair of ZS5s, but I think one of the drivers suddenly died on them, as mids started to be barely audible in the right monitor.
After listening to quite a few things with the ZS6s, I find them a mixed bag, mostly because each of the monitors sounds different. Voices are much crisper and louder in the left monitor when compared to the right one. As such, they are really annoying to listen to. They both fit snuggly in my ears, and I tried using various tips, the difference is still there no matter what I try. I feel cursed with bad luck when getting/using IEMs. My ROCK Zircons started having issues with the right monitor, the ZS5s suddenly went poof on me and now this.

Hi, sounds strange but have you got them plugged in the correct way around?

Nov 25, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #25,553 of 63,832
Yes, I double checked that.

When the ZS5 first came out, there were reports of some acting funny - cutting in and out, suddenly not working, missing frequencies, etc. The solution was to tap them against a table. The thought was something was sticking (voice coil, armature, etc).

Worth a try.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #25,555 of 63,832
The newer 4.2 version is a great product sound quality wise and the battery lasts around 3.5 - 4 hours.

Even the new 4.2 version can be subject to RF/EMI interference and skipping when moved more than 3 feet from the source. I have (3) Bluetooth adapters, and the issue was on 2.

I did the antenna fix on both and have not had a problem since.

Nov 25, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #25,558 of 63,832
My ROCK Zircons started having issues with the right monitor, the ZS5s suddenly went poof on me and now this.

The issue with the Zircon is the cable. An extremely common failure with the right side.

If you’re handy, you can resolder the connections at the microphone board, or even replace the whole cable.

Nov 25, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #25,559 of 63,832
After fiddling with a needle, the problem stopped being as noticeable as it was before. It's definitely still there. I also noticed that the bass is ever so slightly more powerful on the right side compared with the left one.
Yesterday, to test if it was glue blocking off the vent, I blocked the left vent (and after that the right one for good measure) with some tape. There was no difference, so I'm not sure what to say.
Is there anything I can break by poking with a needle? I looked at the exploded view of the IEMs I found when searching around, and I can't really tell if any driver is in direct proximity to the hole or not.

EDIT: About the Zircons: I know it's the cable, and the loose connection is in the right monitor part from what I found while fiddling with the cable. The other issue is that I don't have the necessary tools to attempt fixing them.

EDIT2: I think I should rest, now it feels as if the right headphone also has subdued bass and the difference is even more pronounced. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I might have poked something that I shouldn't have.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #25,560 of 63,832
After fiddling with a needle, the problem stopped being as noticeable as it was before. It's definitely still there. I also noticed that the bass is ever so slightly more powerful on the right side compared with the left one.
Yesterday, to test if it was glue blocking off the vent, I blocked the left vent (and after that the right one for good measure) with some tape. There was no difference, so I'm not sure what to say.
Is there anything I can break by poking with a needle? I looked at the exploded view of the IEMs I found when searching around, and I can't really tell if any driver is in direct proximity to the hole or not.

EDIT: About the Zircons: I know it's the cable, and the loose connection is in the right monitor part from what I found while fiddling with the cable. The other issue is that I don't have the necessary tools to attempt fixing them.

If you do poke it with a needle, just don’t poke it too deep. Once the tip of the needle pokes throughout the hole, it’s plenty. In other words, 1-2mm at the most.

Btw, if you completely blocked both vents with tape, you should definitely hear a lot more sub-bass.

Sounds like the Zircons are ready for the trash bin, since you don’t have the tools to fix them. If they aren’t too old, you could contact the seller because to see about a replacement for the defective pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back