Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 5, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #24,706 of 63,801
Awe, thanks @RomStar for completely understanding where I am coming from here. :slight_smile:

And yeah, your right, I shouldn't let it bother me..
I decided to edit some of my more negative comments in my rant towards the person that called me an idiot...
I mean what's the point in exchanging negativity for negativity, it just creates more "negativity"..:rolling_eyes:

I have been a long time lurker on Head-Fi, but I finally decided to join because I've learned so much from others on this wonderful site that I wanted to give something back.
It's just a bummer that others can't see it like that, and that they feel the need to troll you for no healthy benefit to themselves or others. :rolling_eyes:
Thanks for joining head-fi, I am certainly learning a lot from you (only successful BA removal I've seen, cheers man) @hakuzen, @Slater, @vector84 and everyone else (can't name them all, too many names :p)

I might try you're mods on my Zs5 after I'm brave enough, I might just get a pair of v2 for comparison and modding purposes. Even though im sure I will prolly just break them but more data should help us draw better conclusions ^^

On a more positive note: what are some of you're favorite iems? I'm making a 11.11 list, and I could use some input for good iems under$100 :boy:

Also, I know it might silly but would it be possible to solder and use another Dynamic driver or anything else on the Zs6/Zs5 instead of the BA now?

I don't really know how this works and would love a bit of input. Maybe it's a stupid question and you have to take size, price, compatability and so many things into account, but just a thought I had (since removing BA opens up extra space)

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #24,707 of 63,801
awesome work!
i can't find any reason to mount 2 identical BAs in a shell, at same location, but maybe my knowledge is very limited.
instead of wax, you might try the knowles dampers, like someone suggested a few days ago.
grey or white ones from these might work, dunno, haven't checked for more specs.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bal...ics-Acoustic-2-pcs-in-1-pack/32580267018.html
(but beware, after getting the dampers, you might end building your own diy iems with knowles' BAs!)

Thank you @hakuzen! :)
I don't understand it either... If KZ just designed one of the BAs for mid-treble then the ZS6 & ZS5 v.2's would be perfect!
You know, I just may remove another BA from my ZS6 and then install a Knowles mid-treble tuned BA in it's place...
I've talked with @vector84 about the Knowles filters and I considered trying them, but in the end, I wanted to remove at least 50% of the -level- of the high treble without actually changing the actual frequency of the BAs them selves..So it just made the most sense to mute or remove one of the BAs from each earpiece..
The results are really good, but that said; I would really like to attempt to add a mid treble BA so, perhaps I will do that eventually.

Nov 5, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #24,708 of 63,801
Thanks for joining head-fi, I am certainly learning a lot from you (only successful BA removal I've seen, cheers man) @hakuzen, @Slater, @vector84 and everyone else (can't name them all, too many names :p)

I might try you're mods on my Zs5 after I'm brave enough, I might just get a pair of v2 for comparison and modding purposes. Even though im sure I will prolly just break them but more data should help us draw better conclusions ^^

On a more positive note: what are some of you're favorite iems? I'm making a 11.11 list, and I could use some input for good iems under$100 :boy:

Also, I know it might silly but would it be possible to solder and use another Dynamic driver or anything else on the Zs6/Zs5 instead of the BA now?

I don't really know how this works and would love a bit of input. Maybe it's a stupid question and you have to take size, price, compatability and so many things into account, but just a thought I had (since removing BA opens up extra space)

Thanks man, I am happy to be here. :)
I am really an amateur at the IEM mods, but I have been involved with music/sound production based electronics most of my life, so I am not uncomfortable with taking things apart and re-designing them.

I was just mentioning to @hakuzen about installing another BA into the ZS5&6 that is more mid-treble tuned..
The KZ BAs are 12ohms so it would need to be the same (or close to the same), but I am curious to try it..

I am new to the whole IEM thing (I own less then a dozen earphones).. I used to just use an older (no mic) Brainwavz S0 while working at my shop, but I was always a serious headphones guy because I've been involved in studio/music production most of my life.

So because I still use the IEMs mostly in my dusty shop, I'm not sure I want to invest more then $70 maximum on anything that will probably eventually get destroyed.

That said, I am finding myself getting really addicted to this hobby, so I might eventually purchase the (hopefully glorious) LZ-A5 when it comes out...
I think my ideal sound signature is a mild W shape to a medium V shape..
Or flat with a good sub-bass (without losing out on mids) and clear treble, huge soundstage and excellent cohesion.
So before I spend a ton of $$, I need to learn a bit more about what I really want in an IEM..
That's probably why I plan on really altering the ZS6, to get it as close to what I want as I possibly can..
I also have a BVGP DM5 coming that I'm hoping delivers what the ZS6 can't.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #24,709 of 63,801
i can't find any reason to mount 2 identical BAs in a shell, at same location, but maybe my knowledge is very limited.
Actually there are two more or less good reasons. For one thing each unit of two identical drivers could still be in charge of different frequency ranges due to the crossover.
Apart from that there's even a sense in just taking two drivers instead on one for the same frequency range. That will give you 3 dB more SPL while keeping non-linear distortions the same. An example may make it a bit clearer:
Let's say we take one BA and listen at 80 dB SPL. We assume it produces 1% THD at a certain frequency for that particular level. If we now add another unit of the same BA and feed it the same signal, we will automatically listen to 83 dB SPL. The absolut values for the THD will also become 3 dB bigger, but as THD is a relative figure we'll still have got 1% THD. That's good as we gained a volume of 3 dB without increasing THD. Though, if we like to listen to 83 dB SPL with one driver only, we will increase non-linear distortions and will get more than 1% THD.

Nov 5, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #24,710 of 63,801
Actually there are two more or less good reasons. For one thing each unit of two identical drivers could still be in charge of different frequency ranges due to the crossover.
Apart from that there's even a sense in just taking two drivers instead on one for the same frequency range. That will give you 3 dB more SPL while keeping non-linear distortions the same. An example may make it a bit clearer:
Let's say we take one BA and listen at 80 dB SPL. We assume it produces 1% THD at a certain frequency for that particular level. If we now add another unit of the same BA and feed it the same signal, we will automatically listen to 83 dB SPL. The absolut values for the THD will also become 3 dB bigger, but as THD is a relative figure we'll still have got 1% THD. That's good as we gained a volume of 3 dB without increasing THD. Though, if we like to listen to 83 dB SPL with one driver only, we will increase non-linear distortions and will get more than 1% THD.
thanks!!

Nov 5, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #24,711 of 63,801
Thanks man, I am happy to be here. :)
I am really an amateur at the IEM mods, but I have been involved with music/sound production based electronics most of my life, so I am not uncomfortable with taking things apart and re-designing them.

I was just mentioning to @hakuzen about installing another BA into the ZS5&6 that is more mid-treble tuned..
The KZ BAs are 12ohms so it would need to be the same (or close to the same), but I am curious to try it..

I am new to the whole IEM thing (I own less then a dozen earphones).. I used to just use an older (no mic) Brainwavz S0 while working at my shop, but I was always a serious headphones guy because I've been involved in studio/music production most of my life.

So because I still use the IEMs mostly in my dusty shop, I'm not sure I want to invest more then $70 maximum on anything that will probably eventually get destroyed.

That said, I am finding myself getting really addicted to this hobby, so I might eventually purchase the (hopefully glorious) LZ-A5 when it comes out...
I think my ideal sound signature is a mild W shape to a medium V shape..
Or flat with a good sub-bass (without losing out on mids) and clear treble, huge soundstage and excellent cohesion.
So before I spend a ton of $$, I need to learn a bit more about what I really want in an IEM..
That's probably why I plan on really altering the ZS6, to get it as close to what I want as I possibly can..
I also have a BVGP DM5 coming that I'm hoping delivers what the ZS6 can't.
The more I get to know you guys, the more I realize how little I know. Apparently some you are amateurs...that then puts me far below beginner :disappointed_relieved:

Also please let me know how the BVGP DM5 sounds, I've seen them on sale for $80 before, not sure if I would get them unless they are a deff step up from my current gear

In terms of sound I also like mostly neutral signatures. I know it can be boring but hey I can survive. But I must say, I prefer more W - Shaped signatures tho. I'm also not too sensitive to highs so that helps as well I guess.:relaxed:

Now recently I got a pair of Swing Ie800 and my God was it good. It's sadly very bright like the kzs, but for $9 USD? It's an absolute Steal. It also comes with a cheap hard case, but I ain't complainin. Don't let its price fool you tho, other than say sub bass and instrument separation (which isn't bad but not amazing), it far out classes Zircons and classic budget picks for me (better than the ATEs I own, which isn't modified)

Lastly, does anyone know a thread dedicated to say sales or the upcoming 11.11 deals? I tried the gear best stuff but it's hard to keep up, they have separate thread for everything :slight_frown:

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #24,712 of 63,801
Coming back after letting my zs5v2s burn in through a split cable while i use my other buds. I have to say that the difference compared to it out of box is rather drastic.Highs are much tamer and the imaging now is as coherent as the v1s. Was quite surprised as my experience with some v1s i bought for my friends was that it was more or less ready to go out of box. Overall glad its not a lemon :)

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #24,713 of 63,801
Also please let me know how the BVGP DM5 sounds, I've seen them on sale for $80 before, not sure if I would get them unless they are a deff step up from my current gear

dm5 is $65 at PenonAudio. I wouldn't be inclined to pay $80 for them.

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #24,714 of 63,801
The ZSRs made me think. What if KZ listened to all the ZS5/ZS6 feedback and thought: "Perhaps we can dial the murder treble a notch, many people seem to hate that"? It makes me kinda optimistic that way.

Or perhaps KZ just has a "signature sound" that involves lots of sharp treble. Because more treble = better clarity obviously.

Does KZ have a "signature sound"?

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #24,716 of 63,801
@Slater I tried you're half tape mod and it works. The mid bass has a very slight boost but the sub bass has seen the biggest improvement. I also think the bass is deeper but not quicker tho.

I think I didn't tape it as well as I could. Is this what you meant by covering half the hole?

Yeah, you covered it just fine (covering it at the centerline/equator of the vent hole).

You can even play with the tape cutoff - covering a little more or a little less of the vent to get it tuned to your liking.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #24,717 of 63,801
The ZSRs made me think. What if KZ listened to all the ZS5/ZS6 feedback and thought: "Perhaps we can dial the murder treble a notch, many people seem to hate that"? It makes me kinda optimistic that way.

Or perhaps KZ just has a "signature sound" that involves lots of sharp treble. Because more treble = better clarity obviously.

Does KZ have a "signature sound"?

I wouldn't say that they do, although you could kinda say that they are moving towards a more or less treble-heavy sound with ZST, ES3, ZS5 and ZS6. Imho, they overshoot the marks with ZS5 v1, can't even imagine the v2 nor ZS6. I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I suspect that they will move towards a more balanced sound if they decide to push the asking price of their flagships, at a certain point you have to, and that point is going down by the minute by the likes of Tin Audio T2 for example.

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #24,718 of 63,801
Oh, and one last important thing:
For some reason the ZS6 doesn't hurt my ears.. I can only take the ZS5 for 1-1/2 hours maybe 2, but the ZS6 is surprisingly comfortable...

The ZS6 shell has a few minor revisions to it to increase comfort. On the bottom by the nozzle there is an extra “shelf”, and on the side by the nozzle it is smoother than the ZS5 (the ZS5 has sharper angled “edges”; the ZS6 is smoother and less contains less sharp angles).

Nov 5, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #24,720 of 63,801
There's something off about the ZS6 soundsig. It's not the piercing highs that're giving me troubles, but there's a very annoying sharp spike in the upper mids at around ~3k.

Anyone experience anything simillar? This is the same reason i hate the SR325is with a passion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back