Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 25, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #24,062 of 63,778
I was planning on doing the foam mod to 1 or both BAs. But after my ZS6 arrived and I finished BI, I found them perfectly fine. No treble cannons, no sibilance, and no fatigue. And I'm treble sensitive - the stock ZST was like a knife in my eardrums.

Even with the stock Starline tips they sound great. Foams sound even better (at the expense of some sub-bass). I tried to tape the bass port and didn't like them that way (plus couldn't take the driver flex). They are the best KZ IEM by a wide margin, even when compared to the ZS5 v1..

haha, that's great. So we agree on ZS3,ZS6 and ZS6 vs ZS5 v1.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #24,063 of 63,778
Can't you stop? If you seriously think they are so much better than KZ IEMs that's great but please take it to another, more appropriate, thread. They seem to be $40 generally anyway, not $25. The only ones I've seen at that price are on eBay, being sold 'without retail packaging' by a Chinese vendor with negative feedback for selling fake Sennheisers. 'Nuff said

The sale is gone! Yeah they're $40 on Amazon now. It's not a huge bargain now.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #24,064 of 63,778

Can you guys listen to this song for sibilance I am using the ZS5 v2 and I can't listen to this sing without having lower the volume by a considerable amount.Is it just because of the iem being bright or case of bad recording?To me the vocal just sound too harsh.

The synth horns that come in right around 1:08 are exceptionally bright. My Icarus III do ok with them, but I can see where on the ZS5 they would distort into some pretty nasty sibilance.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #24,066 of 63,778
thanks, but it was @HiFiChris who suggested the impedance adapter, after trying and measuring zs6 with high output impedance sources. i only measured it.

anyway, i listened to that combo (source+ impedance adapter + zs6) for a few minutes, and didn't like it. i prefer the foams + minor equalization to tame the highs.
if you could get a decent equalizer app which could be used together with your usual playing apps, it should be a better solution than the impedance adapter, IMO.

don't know the specs of the audio of the galaxy s8, but the zs6 are not hard to drive. i've tried them with benjie s5 just now, and found you can reach about 104dB SPL peak with low distortion. most smartphones are more powerful than benjie s5 (at least, those which i was able to find audio specs of, like iphones or xiaomis).
i'll post the results and comparison with zs5 in a while.

Hey man... Don't say that. Three days ago i purchased 75ohm impedance adapter from Penon. ***:dizzy_face:

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #24,069 of 63,778
I'm really happy with my V1's (have two pairs) so really curious what all the hub bub is about this harsh treble in V2 or ZS6?

@hakuzen,
Thanks for showing details of your setup. That adapter would fit the tip of my calibrated measurement mic perfectly. A sweep with REW software will show the differences in this treble peak. Once I get my hands in a V2 or ZS6, I will measure.

Siegfried Linkwitz shows how you can connect an IEM to a mic to measure frequency response. It's important to find a soft pliable tube that mimics the diameter, length, and softness of our ear canal. The length is important as that will cause resonance peaks and dips due to reflections off the ear drum and back into the IEM. This is why foam tips helps, they attenuate that hard impedance mismatch and soften the resonance peak. Usually it is at about 2.5kHz and 7kHz. Linkwitz even developed a passive notch filter for his Entymotic ER4's. He said it just won't sound right once you hear what it is supposed to sound like with that 2.5kHz and 7kHz peaks removed.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm

etymot-eq1a.gif

Passive notch filter circuit:
P2200050-500.jpg

So here is my hypothesis: adding that second BA driver right at the tip increases (by 2x) the hard material cross sectional area (the BA capsule) of stuff that can reflect sound and cause a resonance. This resonance has nothing to do with a different BA driver or even the crossover, it's where it is located, so it's purely an acoustic transmission line theory for modes of resonance. That's why adding foam earplug tips help. It's also why a small wad of foam or acoustic damping fluff helps. If this is true, it is kind of a design flaw for something that's supposed to be "an upgrade". If I am right, the V1 will always sound better.

Start hoarding those V1's until they come out with V3's. :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #24,071 of 63,778
You are poor now ? :fearful:

I have buy one of them too, but it can always be used for else.
Yep, i'm lighter for 8bucks:blush:
I don't see any usage with this adapter. Just only to increase output impedance to damp treble for ZS5, ZS6 respectively.

Oct 25, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #24,072 of 63,778
I'm really happy with my V1's (have two pairs) so really curious what all the hub bub is about this harsh treble in V2 or ZS6?

@hakuzen,
Thanks for showing details of your setup. That adapter would fit the tip of my calibrated measurement mic perfectly. A sweep with REW software will show the differences in this treble peak. One I get my hands in a V2 or ZS6, I will measure.
i measured them, zs5 v1 and zs6. first one who did it and found the high peaks of zs6 was @HiFiChris .
also measured their impedance curve, and compared their FR when using different tips and cables, sources and even impedance adapter.
just search for our posts in this thread, and you will find the graphs, the link to HiFiChris' review and comparison, and will get the reason of the hub bub probably.
the second BA in ZS5 v1 was connected, but buried into the shell. in v2 and ZS6, it is located in the nozzle, together with the other one. the treble big differences (about amplitude, at least) are evident.
i also like ZS5 v1s, but i'm enjoying even more the ZS6 (after some minor eq to tame those peaks at 8.5kHz and 11kHz, which are from +5 to +9dB compared to ZS5 v1).
but after seeing how different are maker specs compared to measured specs, my suspects of fast kz decisions and changes respond to marketing purposes way over engineering, are growing up.
anyway, they can't be so lucky of getting so budget respectable iems continuously, so audio engineers must be doing well their job.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #24,073 of 63,778
[QUOTE="xrk971, post: 13807650, member: 470639"
Siegfried Linkwitz shows how you can connect an IEM to a mic to measure frequency response. It's important to find a soft pliable tube that mimics the diameter, length, and softness of our ear canal. The length is important as that will cause resonance peaks and dips due to reflections off the ear drum and back into the IEM. This is why foam tips helps, they attenuate that hard impedance mismatch and soften the resonance peak. Usually it is at about 2.5kHz and 7kHz. Linkwitz even developed a passive notch filter for his Entymotic ER4's. He said it just won't sound right once you hear what it is supposed to sound like with that 2.5kHz and 7kHz peaks removed.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm

etymot-eq1a.gif

Passive notch filter circuit:
P2200050-500.jpg

So here is my hypothesis: adding that second BA driver right at the tip increases (by 2x) the hard material cross sectional area (the BA capsule) of stuff that can reflect sound and cause a resonance. This resonance has nothing to do with a different BA driver or even the crossover, it's where it is located, so it's purely an acoustic transmission line theory for modes of resonance. That's why adding foam earplug tips help. It's also why a small wad of foam or acoustic damping fluff helps. If this is true, it is kind of a design flaw for something that's supposed to be "an upgrade". If I am right, the V1 will always sound better.

Start hoarding those V1's until they come out with V3's. :)
[/QUOTE]

thanks! interesting hypothesis. my actual knowledge doesn't reach those concepts yet. stimulant.

about the system to better measure an iem's fr with a mic, it seems that the iec711 couplers mimics the right distance but also ear resonances better than a tube. found some threads in this forum where discussing iem measuring rigs. i started with a tube, adjusting distances, but ending with artificial ears. it seems to get more accurate raw responses, but who knows, everything likes to be relative.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #24,074 of 63,778
@hakuzen, I need to find your measurement protocol, but back-of-the-envelope calculation says 8.5kHz corresponds to a 2cm (1/2-wave reflection peak) distance from microphone diaphragm to location of front of the BA shells in the nozzle. Is that about right? I think the "standard" human ear canal has eardrum (biological mic diaphragm) is on average about 2.55cm or a 6700Hz peak. An 11kHz peak would imply something at 1.55cm deep - which may be the hard leading edge of the silicone earplug tip. So changing to foam tips may remove the 11kHz peak.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #24,075 of 63,778
I was really worried I needed to dish out around $100+ for a DAC. I thought a good DAC helped more than Amp, I've even lurked in DAC Vs Amp threads as well.

Now basically I'm thinking I should just get the S5 during 11/11. But do u think I should start with the Topping NX? I'm a complete beginner so thanks a lot for the great informative comment ^^

Also do u like you're Sph9500? My personal opinion so far is, it's very good, but needs a slight bass kick for the music I listen to normally (Edms, rap and pop). They are slightly on the bright side as well, and I don't even know how much I believe in burn in. People say they become tame after use.... I've seen a lot of mods going around, do u think they are worth the risk tho? Tbh I love my pair and I thought they were gonna be over hyped :)

PS: lol I realized I'll spend a lot now, but at least I'm not wasting money on brand name like I did with beats haha

Differences in DACs are likely to be masked by other components until you get well above the price point we are working in.
I think you have gotten good advice on the amp from some others. I think with a little patience you can probably get a lot more amp for your dollar by purchasing from the classifieds here.

I do like the 9500 but to say they need a slight lift in the bass is an understatement. They have pretty severe roll off below about 100hz and sub-bass is just outright non-existent. On the other end of the spectrum, I don't find them exceedingly bright but they do have good treble extension. I would be very hesitant to try any non-reversible mod as I think the weaknesses in the 9500 are inherent to the driver and not likely to be "fixed" by external changes. I think I paid roughly $40 for mine on a black Friday sale so for the price, I have no complaints. I don't think they measure up to the Senn 598SE, but then I've never seen the 598 below $50 either.

Don't consider it wasted money, call it the cost of an education in audio. Even poor purchases teach us something.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back