Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 25, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #24,046 of 63,796
I did and it does help. I did destroy the screen in the process and had to make new ones as they did not come off as cleanly as I would have liked (one of them and they looked odd mismatched). It takes very very little foam to do it and I ended up using a balance as no scale I had would weigh that small a piece of foam and I wanted to be as close to equal in both ears as possible. the balance at least proves they are within the margin of error on my fulcrum placement. the combination of the foam mod and foam tips really tames the treble and if you are treble sensitive you may want to do both. I would say get foam tips first and see if that does enough to make you happy as it is way easier than trying to stuff foam down a ba nozzle.
Im going to try it later. Thanks for the info bro. For now im just sticking with my EQ settings -4dB on 8 Khz. Seems to tame the trebble for me haha. Oh i also tried it on my Benjie S5 and i find the DBB EQ setting matches well with the ZS6, at 11 volume anything above that its too treble hot for me.

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #24,047 of 63,796

Can you guys listen to this song for sibilance I am using the ZS5 v2 and I can't listen to this sing without having lower the volume by a considerable amount.Is it just because of the iem being bright or case of bad recording?To me the vocal just sound too harsh.

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #24,048 of 63,796
Im going to try it later. Thanks for the info bro. For now im just sticking with my EQ settings -4dB on 8 Khz. Seems to tame the trebble for me haha. Oh i also tried it on my Benjie S5 and i find the DBB EQ setting matches well with the ZS6, at 11 volume anything above that its too treble hot for me.

Try dropping the 10kHz by -6db too. The Zs6 has a spike at 8 and another at 10 so cutting both may remove that harshness you are still getting.

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #24,049 of 63,796

Can you guys listen to this song for sibilance I am using the ZS5 v2 and I can't listen to this sing without having lower the volume by a considerable amount.Is it just because of the iem being bright or case of bad recording?To me the vocal just sound too harsh.

It is pretty bright at spots but what you are getting is partially Zs5. I just ran it through my Icarus III for comparison and while I did pick up an occasional harsh note it wasn't unlistenable. The video however is about as amateur a production as I have been subjected to recently.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #24,050 of 63,796
Hello guys, I'm new to here(and also new to the sound industry). Just ordered my ZS6s and am really excited to give them a listen. Even though I have treble sensitive ears, I'm still willing to try them.

Some people suggested me to get the Dunu 75 ohm impedance adapter to dampen the sibilance and looks like their suggestion originated from here( thank you @hakuzen ). I'm going to use my galaxy s8 as the source and I don't know If my s8 will have enough power to drive them. So I did some research on budget portable amps, I could only find 2 for the budget of $70, and they're Fiio A3 and Fiio Q1. But I can't decide on which one to get. A3 is more powerful but the Q1 has a DAC. Do I really need an ex-DAC or is the S8's DAC good enough? (ZS6+Silver Plated Cable+75 Ohm adapter+Comply foam tips. This will be my setup)

Sorry for the long post, I'm just really excited because this will be my first setup and I don't want to mess it up.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #24,051 of 63,796
It is pretty bright at spots but what you are getting is partially Zs5. I just ran it through my Icarus III for comparison and while I did pick up an occasional harsh note it wasn't unlistenable. The video however is about as amateur a production as I have been subjected to recently.
Sorry about the video I had only listened to audio on spotify and couldn't find a audio only version.So it a little harsh which is boosted or amped by the ZS5 right?

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #24,052 of 63,796
Thanks a lot guys for so many great suggestions!

Guess I'll grab a cheap pair of amp or maybe a Dap if I find a good deal. I'm gonna hold off on getting the zs6 cuz I don't think that upgrade Is a must need from the Zs5. Instead I will get a diff pair of iems I guess. Mostly just gonna try and hold off zs7 comes out... Maybe I'll end up buying zs6... Who knows. So far the magaosi k3 looks amazing, let's see how far they go down on 11/11 or If there are similarly performing Chi-fi iems :)

You're message was very thorough and detailed. Thank you so much for that, I learnt a lot ^^

Now a prospect of a Dap with good amping looks very tempting to me. But since I don't have many Flac or decent files, I rely on Spotify Premium. I guess I was being wishful looking for a $100 Dap with streaming capabilities. So far I'm looking into Fiio X1s, and a few used ones were within my budget. I am still confused by some terminologies and I don't think I fully grasped ur post...im such a noob lol. But the burden of research is on me, thanks for the help ^^

Also, what's the cheapest Streaming capable dap? As long as they offer a decent upgrade over my phone with Wolfson dac, I'm gonna dive in.

Lastly any other Dac+Amp combo except the Sabaj Da2? It's good but I'm just thinking what other options I have :)

Thanks for further validation ^^

Other memebers have also confirmed this and I can buy an amp with peace of mind now haha. I'll look into the topping nx1s now, maybe squeeze it into my budget. Are the nx2s better tho? Thanks for the reply :)
sorry for my english and for the terminology..

sabaj da2 dac/amp is very portable, powerful enough, good quality sound. it's difficult to find a better deal at its price range. you could use it with your pc as well.

but if you need to keep using your usual smartphone apps for streaming, a single headphones amplifier is the easiest solution. just watch out ampifier's output impedance, and the absence of output coupling caps in it, if you plan to use ZS5 on it https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1553#post-13777918.
so i wouldn't suggest topping nx2 for ZS5 at all (it's >3.3ohms, and uses coupling caps), nor nx1s (same output impedance), old nx1 was <1ohm output impedance and no coupling caps, so better suitable for zs5, but had noticeable hiss, high gain mode had bass roll-off (design issue), and was not very powerful.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #24,053 of 63,796

It's not just the ZS5, but the ATE too! I got used to it eventually. It's not the end of the world, but I expect something better! Earphones are cheaper than ever these days. And you can get something really, really good for $25 or less. (Marshall Mode...yeah, I'll shut up).

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #24,054 of 63,796
Hello guys, I'm new to here(and also new to the sound industry). Just ordered my ZS6s and am really excited to give them a listen. Even though I have treble sensitive ears, I'm still willing to try them.

I hope you love them! I do.

I have always considered myself to be treble sensitive but I was very pleasantly surprised last night when I listened to my ZS6 which arrived yesterday. After all of the things that people were saying here, I expected to hate them. Well, I plugged them into my Cayin N3 at 10PM and the next thing I knew it was 3AM! :) I do not have any expensive IEMs but I will say that these might be the best ones I have (need to listen to my Uiisii CM5 again).

Plenty of bass but not headache inducing. Sub bass where present... I use the title track of Bela Fleck - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo for that. Around 2:24 it goes as low as I have ever heard. Great vocals... male and female. Singer songwriters that I have seen live in small venues sounded as they should. Certain female vocals that can sometimes annoy me were fine. Strings were beautiful. Drums had authority. Cymbals shimmered. Great clarity. I had just planned on listening to certain tracks but ended up listening to entire albums. Love everything about them (I have the green ones) except for the over ear cable. I have long hair and it just gets all tangled up in the hair which is particularly annoying when I try to remove them. I know the memory wire can be removed. I did that with the ZS3 and just made it worse. Hard to even find the cable behind my ear mixed in with my hair. A new cable is coming from ali... not quite the same as stock. Hoping it will be nice.

I feel bad for those who are experiencing too much treble because I would hate that too. But it did not happen for me. I do only use Daps (sometimes with an amp for higher impedance headphones)... have never listened out of a phone. As much tech as I have here, I do not even own a smartphone... haha. I am happy that way. I know that makes me a freak! Computers, laptops, tablets, e-readers... and daps give me all I need..,oh, and a landline:)

Everyone has different ears, different music, different sources, different expectations... so I am not surprised that people are reporting varying impressions. At least this does not cost the hundreds of dollars that some do!

Tonight I will use them with my Opus #1 which is what I meant to do last night but it was out of charge.

had to edit... I listened from 10PM until 3AM (5 hours). I did not listen from 10AM until 3 AM LOL. I would have starved if I had done that -17 hours! Hard to eat with IEMs in... it sounds weird. I can drink tea:) Maybe that could be a new diet... just run all day long with iems in.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #24,055 of 63,796
It's not just the ZS5, but the ATE too! I got used to it eventually. It's not the end of the world, but I expect something better! Earphones are cheaper than ever these days. And you can get something really, really good for $25 or less. (Marshall Mode...yeah, I'll shut up).
Can't you stop? If you seriously think they are so much better than KZ IEMs that's great but please take it to another, more appropriate, thread. They seem to be $40 generally anyway, not $25. The only ones I've seen at that price are on eBay, being sold 'without retail packaging' by a Chinese vendor with negative feedback for selling fake Sennheisers. 'Nuff said

Oct 25, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #24,056 of 63,796
Has anyone tried sir @Slater ZST foam mod on the BA's of the ZS6?

Someone did quite a few pages back. They seemed to be pleased with the outcome.

I was planning on doing the foam mod to 1 or both BAs. But after my ZS6 arrived and I finished BI, I found them perfectly fine. No treble cannons, no sibilance, and no fatigue. And I'm treble sensitive - the stock ZST was like a knife in my eardrums.

Even with the stock Starline tips they sound great. Foams sound even better (at the expense of some sub-bass). I tried to tape the bass port and didn't like them that way (plus couldn't take the driver flex). They are the best KZ IEM by a wide margin, even when compared to the ZS5 v1.

@BubbleWrap86 is right though - someone did it and said it worked great. Just follow the ZST foam mod procedure to a T. If it was me, I would start with just doing 1 of the 2 BAs. If it's still too much, then do the 2nd BA.

Let us know how it turns out if you decide to do it.

Oct 25, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #24,058 of 63,796
I did and it does help. I did destroy the screen in the process and had to make new ones as they did not come off as cleanly as I would have liked (one of them and they looked odd mismatched). It takes very very little foam to do it and I ended up using a balance as no scale I had would weigh that small a piece of foam and I wanted to be as close to equal in both ears as possible. the balance at least proves they are within the margin of error on my fulcrum placement. the combination of the foam mod and foam tips really tames the treble and if you are treble sensitive you may want to do both. I would say get foam tips first and see if that does enough to make you happy as it is way easier than trying to stuff foam down a ba nozzle.

Nice job.

You could also use a diamond scale if you have access to one (ie a digital scale used to measure the weight of diamonds). They are incredibly accurate. So are the digital scales used by compound pharmacies and pharma scientists to measure milligrams and even micrograms of raw material

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #24,059 of 63,796

Some people suggested me to get the Dunu 75 ohm impedance adapter to dampen the sibilance and looks like their suggestion originated from here( thank you @hakuzen ). I'm going to use my galaxy s8 as the source and I don't know If my s8 will have enough power to drive them. So I did some research on budget portable amps, I could only find 2 for the budget of $70, and they're Fiio A3 and Fiio Q1. But I can't decide on which one to get. A3 is more powerful but the Q1 has a DAC. Do I really need an ex-DAC or is the S8's DAC good enough? (ZS6+Silver Plated Cable+75 Ohm adapter+Comply foam tips. This will be my setup)

Sorry for the long post, I'm just really excited because this will be my first setup and I don't want to mess it up.
thanks, but it was @HiFiChris who suggested the impedance adapter, after trying and measuring zs6 with high output impedance sources. i only measured it.

anyway, i listened to that combo (source+ impedance adapter + zs6) for a few minutes, and didn't like it. i prefer the foams + minor equalization to tame the highs.
if you could get a decent equalizer app which could be used together with your usual playing apps, it should be a better solution than the impedance adapter, IMO.

don't know the specs of the audio of the galaxy s8, but the zs6 are not hard to drive. i've tried them with benjie s5 just now, and found you can reach about 104dB SPL peak with low distortion. most smartphones are more powerful than benjie s5 (at least, those which i was able to find audio specs of, like iphones or xiaomis).
i'll post the results and comparison with zs5 in a while.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #24,060 of 63,796
anyway, i listened to that combo (source+ impedance adapter + zs6) for a few minutes, and didn't like it. i prefer the foams + minor equalization to tame the highs.
if you could get a decent equalizer app which could be used together with your usual playing apps, it should be a better solution than the impedance adapter, IMO.

Thank you. What exactly did you change on EQ, I know that it depends on the device but I want to try it once I get my hands on my zs6s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back