Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 19, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #23,732 of 63,801
Picked up my KZ zs6 today. I have no trubble what so ever with treble. First impression is that they are a bit better then my zs5. Like a previous review, i would say the sound stage is "closer" like sitting on the front row vs sitting on the back row (zs5)

Using it with Sabaj Da2 and nokia 8 playing flacs with UAPP.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #23,733 of 63,801
KZ 1week old foamies...

Those are the gel foamies, which have no internal rubber nozzle tube to add strength and structure (and thus preventing them from doing just that). I never really liked them, but I have a bunch from the various ATx models I've bought over the years.

I do know that if you tip swap them onto something else, you must pay careful attention to the nozzle size. They are weak because they're 100% foam (with no internal tube).

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #23,734 of 63,801
KZ 1week old foamies...
They're rubbish! I also used those foams once, in the only IEM they fitted properly, the MEE M9. Never had good results with any other IEM.
The faux-complys from Aliexpress are much better, and have that silicone core that keeps them tight. For the ZS3, a t400 will fit perfectly.

Oct 19, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #23,735 of 63,801
I dont use foamies much in the past..
didnt know there are gelfoamies.. fakefoamies with bones..
yes..n the real complys :)
U guys are EXPERTs..thanks!!

Was quite happy w spiral dots in the past... couldnt find a pair in my dusty candy cans.

Oct 19, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #23,736 of 63,801
I don't get severe irritation from the upgrade cable, but it does rub occasionally and I've been pondering throwing a piece of shrink wrap without a memory wire over the same area where the memory wire used to be.

Haven't done anything about it just yet though, so it's still just an idea in my head thus far :shrug:

Good suggestion. Annoyingly, the pain only occurs on my left ear. My right one feels totally fine. I bought a pair of ear guides from aliexpress. I'll see how well that works.

Oct 19, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #23,737 of 63,801
I have been using the KZ ZS6 for a few days now, and am starting to wonder why I buy very expensive ear/headphones. These for me, need a bit of EQ, but whats not to like.If they can do these for this price, I wonder what they could do for £250!. One thing amazes me with the Chinese phones, you take them out the box, and they generally fit, without any other mods, whilst with other well known makes I have spent weeks trial and error, ah well.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #23,738 of 63,801
Buy a green pair and a black one, switch the fronts, sell the one you like least.

I thought of that. Maybe one day when I have the spare cash
Don't happen to have a supplier in mind for that stuff, do you?

On a quick search I can't seem to find quantities less than 100 feet or so.

I did a lousy job of searching eBay apparently... :shrug:

Can you help me out? I tried on aliexpress but didn't get anything good.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #23,739 of 63,801
One thing amazes me with the Chinese phones, you take them out the box, and they generally fit, without any other mods, whilst with other well known makes I have spent weeks trial and error, ah well.

Possibly because they design it primarily for the chinese / asian market, who anatomically might have smaller ear cavities, hence when exported to other markets, they have less fit issues, as generally, they are smaller in size ?

But have to agree, if absolute quality is not a priority, they represent tremendous value.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #23,740 of 63,801
I dont use foamies much in the past..
didnt know there are gelfoamies.. fakefoamies with bones..
yes..n the real complys :)
U guys are EXPERTs..thanks!!

Was quite happy w spiral dots in the past... couldnt find a pair in my dusty candy cans.

I recently ran across silicones with velour type ‘fuzz’ on the outside!

I didn’t order them because 1) it makes no logical sense, 2) I’m sure they itch like heck, and 3) I’m sure the fuzz will wear off the second you insert them (falling into your ear).

Still, interesting nonetheless.

I’ll try and find a pic of them.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #23,743 of 63,801
How much was the cable and how is its flexibility?
I'm guessing it's the other KZ upgrade cable that's been out for a while now based on the same overall braid and terminations, and that the lighting is causing it to look a little different, but I could be wrong. Available on Amazon here (which might not do you any good, but maybe for others?) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074H8Y76X/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3TBALX3LF68RC&colid=1KLURIQMSZMYE or AE here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...e-Earphone-Upgrade-Cable-for/32819485018.html. I have this cable as well, but didn't have the greatest fit on ZS5/ZS6 (obviously others have had better luck), so I only use it on the ZST/ES3. Flexibility is very good, it came with memory wire which I removed. So far it hasn't started to turn green yet, but we shall see. Despite the titles saying 0.75mm pins, the cable I received was 0.78mm pins, which makes sense since they are advertised for the ZST (purchased from the second link). I mainly purchased for aesthics, and don't personally notice too much different in SQ (if at all).

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #23,744 of 63,801
My two week old KZ ZS6 Red, perfect match with FiiO X5 3rd Gen DAP:

IMG_20171019_203655.jpg

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #23,745 of 63,801
Consider using a cutter knife to trim the plastic part surrounding the pins, right before it meets and extends underneath the metal housing - you'll get a more secure fit a and a slicker look.

Edit: ...that's assuming the female connector is as deep as the ZS5 one which I'm using and on which this mod is based on (not my mod, stumbled upon it same pages back in this thread).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back