Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 16, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #23,540 of 63,673
Anybody knows how i Can make the right ear piece work again? There is no sound ....
Unfortunately if you've tried multiple cables, chances are decent that the problem is internal.

There are a few posts floating around about similar issues - the most frequent cause that I've seen has been a solder joint coming apart on the inside of the connector. If that's the case, it isn't a terribly difficult fix if you're comfortable with the use of a heat gun and a soldering iron, but if not... yeah, not much else you can do.

You said it's only been two weeks right? I would think your best bet would be to try to work it out with the seller - that short a time period with no obvious user inflicted damage would make me think QC problem or damage during shipping.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #23,541 of 63,673
KZ ZS6's arrived today, tip rolled till I was happy. First impressions were these are crispy up top but I find it gives them great air, bass is very good not bloated in any way lower mids a bit recessed, upper mids are there in spades. Will burn them in but these are a very energetic pair of iems. Probably my favourite KZ earphone so far and needless to say they look great in green

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #23,542 of 63,673
Unfortunately if you've tried multiple cables, chances are decent that the problem is internal.

There are a few posts floating around about similar issues - the most frequent cause that I've seen has been a solder joint coming apart on the inside of the connector. If that's the case, it isn't a terribly difficult fix if you're comfortable with the use of a heat gun and a soldering iron, but if not... yeah, not much else you can do.

You said it's only been two weeks right? I would think your best bet would be to try to work it out with the seller - that short a time period with no obvious user inflicted damage would make me think QC problem or damage during shipping.
Thanks. I already contacted gearbest . I have no soldering skills :)

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #23,543 of 63,673
Thanks. I already contacted gearbest . I have no soldering skills :)
Well, a hairdryer and some wire glue might manage to work in a pinch, but I would still strongly suggest not doing anything like that. Or at least not until you've worked out the situation with gearbest.

Now if they tell you to trash them (which has been my experience a few times now with GB and BG on damaged items) then I suppose there would be far less harm in trying to crack it open, even if you don't expect to be successful at doing anything other than breaking it further.

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #23,544 of 63,673
vV1kn9L.jpg

i10i6P0.jpg

My KZ ED2 just came in the mail today :)

The SQ is definitely on par with what everybody says about them, they're overall a good sounding IEM and they do everything just right. Not perfect, but just right. Bass has just the right amount of tightness (more sub-bass than mid-bass), mids are detailed and clear, and the treble is bright and crisp without sounding too splashy or overdone like the KZ ED9. They also sound quite loud on my phone compared to my ATE-S and HDS3, which is a good indication that they don't need much power to drive them. Overall the sound is tamed and balanced but still forward sounding; it's a V-shaped sound signature done right at a low price point.

P.S. The packaging says it's the EDR1, is that just another name for the ED2?

Nice!

They are different than the ED2. Yours are the EDR1 (which are preferable to the ED2). The EDR2 (which are aluminum) are good too. I just prefer the EDR1 more (heavier, nicer looking, a little more v-shaped/punchier bass vs EDR2.

As you mentioned, they are a great all-arounder. Built like a tank (especially when bought without mic like you did), are dirt cheap, comfortable, and sound great for the price. Great as cheap gifts to introduce people to the world of ChiFi, great for kids/teens that are rough on electronics, etc. My only complaint is the gummy cable knots/tangles easily, but that's an issue with 95% of all KZs (and is really more of an issue with impatient kids/teens who use the Incredible Hulk method of untangling cables).

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #23,545 of 63,673
For the ZS6 around 75 ohms serial is ideal.

For the ZS5 you would want a voltage divider though, 16+1.5 (Ear Buddy) is what I use.

And if those diagrams are confusing to you, the construction is dead simple... resistors in series connected input-16-1.5-ground, pull your output signal line from inbetween the 16 and the 1.5, ground just goes to ground. Just make sure to try to cut everything to exactly the same size, those lead lengths matter.

Oh, and connect everything directly to the input jack if you can, don't use extra wire between the input jack and the resistors, it will help give you better channel matching and the right amount of attenuation. You can add more wire on the output signal leads if you need space/length.

Easiest would be to do it all inside of the shell, connected to the 2-pin connector inside of the shell.

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #23,546 of 63,673
The more I listen the ZS5 with my Meizu Pro5, the more I think they pair very well : nice bass and almost no sibilance

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #23,547 of 63,673
Easiest would be to do it all inside of the shell, connected to the 2-pin connector inside of the shell.
For a serial resistor that would certainly be very tidy, though soldering around plastic parts might scare some people off :wink:

For a voltage divider though? I thought it was generally preferable to not put a voltage divider involving such low resistance values at the end of a cable run as the cable run risks becoming a significant part of the divider circuit itself (potentially leading to channel mismatches, etc)?

Actually I'm not sure how true what I wrote above might or might not be... seems to me that the ZS5 (V1 at least) already comprises a pretty complex voltage division circuit on its own. I'm certainly not confident enough in my ability to off the cuff predict the functioning of such a setup that I should be making such blanket claims. :shrug:

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #23,548 of 63,673
Is there anyone who bought the kz zs6 from Gearbest this weekend ? Did they shipped your orders ?

Anyway thanks to the dude who posted GB promo codes it worked for me:punch:. Got the green ones for 26e shipping included.

These are going to be the endgame for me, at least till the end of next year ....:sob:

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #23,549 of 63,673
Is there anyone who bought the kz zs6 from Gearbest this weekend ? Did they shipped your orders ?

Anyway thanks to the dude who posted GB promo codes it worked for me:punch:. Got the green ones for 26e shipping included.

These are going to be the endgame for me, at least till the end of next year ....:sob:

i ordered them two days ago,i have a tracking number but doesnt show up yet,you should wait a couple days and then check again

btw the guy was JayceOoi

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #23,550 of 63,673

How did you get the 4ALL5 code to work? I can't get it to work at all. Keeps saying "This Code does not exist. Please check again." :0(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back