Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 15, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #23,521 of 63,672
I could attest to that. They're really effective as ear plugs, too, due to its almost custom IEM-like fit. The ZS3 makes my neighbor's dog (goodness, their dog has a loud, annoyingly startling bark) less annoying. :laughing:

Anyway, regarding KZ's aftermarket cables, I recently bought their latest SPC cable (the smoke-colored one; the one they call "High Purity OFC cable"). Does this new cable less prone to turning green/oxidation unlike the earlier white v1 SPC cable? My v1 SPC recently started to turn green, maybe because it's rainy season here and hence the air became more humid.

What impact has this new cable on the sound? Im currently using the silver cable from KZ but im still looking for a better one because the cable quality really has an effect on the sound. Im looking for something more full and balanced than the stock ones, and with a better connector...

Oct 15, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #23,522 of 63,672
Same here. I dont have any issue, treble is not ear-piercing to me even though I could be a basshead sometime. But I do miss the bass from the ZS3, I was having issue with seal on the ZS5 with medium tips, turns out that I need big tips for the ZS5 (M for ZS3). I'm using a Redmi Note 3 as a "dap". The ZS5 made me ditched Viper4Android, or at least depend a lot less on it. I now only use Spectrum Extension (1.0), Dynamic System (Extreme Headphones, 0% bass), AnalogX (Extreme) on V4A.

V4A FTW :). I use it with all my iems including zs5.

Oct 15, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #23,523 of 63,672
Rice is incredibly inefficient as a dessicant. It's effectiveness in drying out electronics is mostly urban legend.

Talk to your pharmacist. Every box of pills that comes in when they restock has a big dessicant pack in it and they will usually gladly give you a handful of them if you ask them to save them for you. Once you have a few, you can put them on a cookie sheet and set your oven at 150 and put them in it for an hour and it will pull the moisture out and you can reuse them.

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #23,525 of 63,672
Regarding output volume of the earphones. I have V2 (not the german missile from WW2:blush:) ZS3, ES3, ZST. They are aprox. on the same output sound pressure.
Only ES3 is let's say about 2-3dB louder then the rest (in my foobar player), because of the slight bump in the subbass and than something around 3-5 or 6 kHz.
But non of these are twice louder than the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 16, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #23,527 of 63,672
There was an instruction how to insert kz cables. Could someone point me that? My right zs3 does not work any more . Could be cable related. I have silver and stock cables.
It's on @Slater's sig: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/k...essions-thread.698148/page-1194#post-13516067

What impact has this new cable on the sound? Im currently using the silver cable from KZ but im still looking for a better one because the cable quality really has an effect on the sound. Im looking for something more full and balanced than the stock ones, and with a better connector...
If you want a better connector then you should get this instead. Regarding the sound on the new cable, to be honest I can't say much ATM, maybe because hearing is a subjective thing. I just bought them so I could see if these cables wouldn't turn green/less prone to oxidation unlike the earlier white SPC cable which is starting to turn green on mine. I dunno if the SPC v2 cable (the one I linked here) could turn green over time, since I also recently got that cable along with the new smoke-colored cable.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #23,528 of 63,672
As I have the older ZS3, it may be different for the shiny version, but the L/R markings face the Left/Right written on the IEM shell. Just listened to them while posting to verify. These IEMs really don't get enough use from me, and I really do hope the ZS3 hybrid talk is true as I love the comfort.

Oct 16, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #23,529 of 63,672
It's on @Slater's sig: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/k...essions-thread.698148/page-1194#post-13516067

If you want a better connector then you should get this instead. Regarding the sound on the new cable, to be honest I can't say much ATM, maybe because hearing is a subjective thing. I just bought them so I could see if these cables wouldn't turn green/less prone to oxidation unlike the earlier white SPC cable which is starting to turn green on mine. I dunno if the SPC v2 cable (the one I linked here) could turn green over time, since I also recently got that cable along with the new smoke-colored cable.

changed cables and check the l-r signs. but no, the right iem does not produce any sound. I hope gearbest deals with it nicely. it has been only 2 weeks.

Oct 16, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #23,531 of 63,672
Oct 16, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #23,533 of 63,672
Just got my KZ ZS6, plugged into the iPhone,and,amazing for the price. I do stop and wonder why I bought the iSINE20/M300, when I can get 75% there for a fraction of the price.Will I sell the more expensive ones?. No, but I will think very, very carefully before spending more than $100!!.

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #23,534 of 63,672
Just got my KZ ZS6, plugged into the iPhone,and,amazing for the price. I do stop and wonder why I bought the iSINE20/M300, when I can get 75% there for a fraction of the price.Will I sell the more expensive ones?. No, but I will think very, very carefully before spending more than $100!!.

Hella nice time to be part of the budget audiophile scene, right?

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #23,535 of 63,672
I'm not sure that particular combination is represented in this group of earphones.
My feelings on each as succinctly as I could put them are:

BGVP DM5, - quite mid forward (particularly upper mids in the vocal registers). These lack a bit of the bass extension of others here but do have a nice low rumble when called upon, but the mid-bass is way less spectacular than the K3 or the F9. Very comfortable and a very pleasant signature without adjustment.
Plus - great sound signature out of the box without some stray peak in an odd location.
Minus - Mid bass is less refined than others on this list.

Magaosi K3 - A full step above everything else on the list. These have a coherency to their sound that just isnt normally found at this price point and a really balanced signature. They are mid forward but are just shy of having the bass punch you are looking for. Not that they are bass light, just that they are well in proportion to the rest of the signature and couldnt be considered bass heavy.
Plus - Best signature I've heard in a sub-$200 in ear. Draws comparisons to the LZ-A4 and the SWIII.
Minus - cable could be a bit better but at $100 - this is nitpicking

Fiio F9, - Similar to the Zs6 in sound with a prominent treble spike (albeit at a bit lower frequency so even more annoying at times). Reacts well to EQ and has a very listenable shallow V shaped signature. Not as mid centric as the K3 or DM5 but a comfortable long session user once tuned a bit.
Plus - Well composed sound signature with good balance of mid to bass without a pronounced mid-bass hump.
Minus - 7kHz spike really cannot easily be ignored and must be adjusted for.

TFZ series 2 - similar to the DM5 in that the sub-bass is not super extended, but it does have a bit of rumble to balance the profile out. Mids are the highlight and it does vocals with an ease that isnt present in the Zs6. Treble is well behaved but again not super extended and it loses a bit of crispness on cymbals due to the roll-off at the top end.
Plus - Vocals oriented sound signature good for long listening sessions
Minus - could use a bit more bass and a bit more extension on both ends

For sake of fair comparison;

Zs6 - Very good bass extension but well proportioned to the rest of the signature, a slight mid-bass hump that bleeds into the lower mids although not nearly as pronounced as a lot of other budget earphones. Upper mids take a back seat to treble which is over-stated and can become sibilant without some tuning efforts.
Plus - Extension on both ends
Minus - control at the upper end

For me the order would be K3, DM5, F9, TFZs2, Zs6 if I were purchasing them today.
Nice review. :call_me:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back